I hereby challenge SwissMercenary.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hereby challenge SwissMercenary.

I've gotten damn sick of the whining about firebolts, especially from SwissMercenary. I think they are easy to counter, he believes they are incredibly overpowered, so I'm challenging him to a match to decide the issue. LR has offered the CTG private server for the match.

The match will be one on one, he will be guarding Nostalgia -- with an all firebolt loadout (8 firebolts, 6 firebolts and a sword, or 5 firebolts and a mace, his choice) -- against me thiefing it. Standard match rules for the settings.

If he uses tactical suicides to his advantage -- a tactic that fits well with his new raging playstyle -- that should give him around fifty firebolts in the match. Given that he believes them terribly overpowered, that should be more than enough for him to crush a rusty ghoster like myself.

The gauntlet's been thrown, mate. If you're willing to defend your claims, this is your chance.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Dragon has offered to act as my second and spectate the match.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Yeah. Bring it.

Comment

"A gerbil is a rodent, wretched creature and quite possibly represents yourself there unclean vile obsolete weak and live happily in there and others filth, they have caused plague and death to humans and nearly wiped us out" - industrialism

Comment

Let's see...

I have two options:

A: Decline, for the sheer reason that one thief against 1 guard = not pretty. While the thief can be in any one of 5 places the guard has a 4 out of 5 chance of completely missing the thief. A 1 v 1 match is not what this game is made for...

B: Accept, and throw everything on luck, and luck. That, and some more luck.

Please notice that a whole team of firespammers won't get anywhare... The strength of a firespammer lies in: A: DM thieves B: Vs ghosters, his buddies.

I thereby choose B, even though I am aware of point A.

Remember, the results of _One_ match will not likely be a focal point for a change of my opinions on firespam.

How about 2 rounds? One on Nostalgia, and another on a map, like, say Aqua?

Comment

lmfao, you shouldn't have talked swissy boy.

Good luck DB, even though you are kind of acting like a jerk to me.
            The only constant is change.
            (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

On the other hand...

If DB wins, then there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with 8 firebolt firespam! Funny how people will still bitch about it.

If DB loses, then it's just another argument for me - firebolts need fixing.

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary
                A: Decline, for the sheer reason that one thief against 1 guard = not pretty. While the thief can be in any one of 5 places the guard has a 4 out of 5 chance of completely missing the thief. A 1 v 1 match is not what this game is made for...
                If firebolts are the almighty weapon of doom you profess them to be, this shouldn't even be a challenge for you. I've not even seriously played in months. Back in the day, Gerbil and I would play one on one quite often -- he would win sometimes, although not usually by using firebolts.

Please notice that a whole team of firespammers won't get anywhare... The strength of a firespammer lies in: A: DM thieves B: Vs ghosters, his buddies.
                So there is a counter to firebolts! That's what I've been saying -- I'm just here to prove it now. Perhaps your preferred playstyle has a weakness in that area, in that case I'd suggest changing it or finding another counter, not bitching about firebolts as you have been.

Remember, the results of _One_ match will not likely be a focal point for a change of my opinions on firespam.

How about 2 rounds? One on Nostalgia, and another on a map, like, say Aqua?
                I'm not familiar with the new Aquatone. I'll think about a second map.

Comment

IMHO, firebolts are the weapon of doom in games with 2+ guards. I'm oh-so-sorry if I haven't made myself clear on that.

If you consider playing 1 v 1 to be a counter, well then, ;9. Now, about the part where we get people to leave the server...

The point B: meant that:

A firespammer is at his best against DMers, OR:

Against any thief, if there is another guard in the game.

I'm sorry if I haven't made myself clear.

Time, IP, date, password needed.

Comment

Originally posted by CrouchingDork
                    Good luck DB, even though you are kind of acting like a jerk to me.
                    Thanks. Sorry about the kinda harsh comment earlier -- I think your a good guy, you just need to think about that a bit. PM or IM me if you want to discuss it more detail.

Originally posted by SwissMercenary
                    If DB wins, then there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with 8 firebolt firespam! Funny how people will still bitch about it.
                    I don't have any problem with it, except that it's not a terribly effective strategy.

Comment

I now have broadband. Are you going to be around this weekend?

Comment

Sounds like it would be fun to watch.

Comment

I would be ready to guard with Swiss. Not that I'm on his side, really, but it sounds like fun.
                          JM

Comment

Once DB flattens Swiss I suggest we start with the suggestion of 25 loot per firebolt.

Comment

Nostalgias the thiefiest map ever. With only one guard DB will be jumping over the wall with the lyre in his pocket whilst SM is still setting up the AI. And then DB will say 'see, I told you' even though there has been zero interaction between the two sides.
                              Swiss Mercenary means that in a normal game where there are loads of players and you are going to see an enemy, the act of firing more than two firebolts is a big advantage. I think its more that its just plain annoying trying to work out if you are on fire on not and having to make that decision on whether you have enough distance from the guard to get your water arrow out. But I think you do actually need quite a bit of skill to use firebolts really effectively. Its the way that firebolts are useless over long distances that balances them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X