Worm warning: MSBlast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worm warning: MSBlast

I usually don't post things like this, cause I think people should be aware of these things themselves. But this is a rather dangerous worm, so what the heck... And I know some people that got infected last night, which resulted in a MSBlast.exe file being installed on their systems.

7,000 computers ++ was infected last night by this worm, which exploit the DCOM RPC vulnerability. The worm tries to perform a DDOS attack on windowsupdate.com, which can result in you not being able to download the patch for this vulnerability.

If you have this file, MSBlast.exe on your computer, download the removal tool and run it before friday (when all hell breaks loose ) - and then download the Windows patch.

After that, get yourself a firewall - that should do the trick.

Good luck.

Oh, and please leave a note here if you got infected!

:grin:

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.

I turned the computer on only to have the worm start messing around with system processes causing the system to keep restarting whenever I logged in :?
      Nightwarden,
      .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
      - "Earth dons the red; calls the maggots."

Comment

Yep, that's excactly what happened to 'NN' last night.

Download the removal tool, run it, download the pacth from MS - and get a firewall.

Comment

If anyone is interested in getting a copy og msblast.exe i got a few of lying around...

Interested Mode?...

(I still hate firewalls...)

Comment

More information from slashdot.

Comment

I just turned on my compuer this morining, and read this, then I realised the flashing red X over my firewallicon. Chacking the secrurity log, i found something i had never seen before: Major security breach, sector 35 (registries)
              SO anyways, i now have a well firewalled and quarantined worm in my system. It's quite fun poking at it to get it angry :twisted: .
              "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

* stands back and watches the excitement *
                No Linux, No Choice.
                Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Originally posted by LeatherMan
                  * stands back and watches the excitement *
                  ^_^

Comment

I got it last night, almost downloaded it. Fortunately the virus detector that comes with hotmail detected it.
                    JM

Comment

I had this happen to me last year. Nobody cared then, but as soon as it starts happening to other people, it's a different story!

Comment

Originally posted by hAiNeSy
                        I had this happen to me last year. Nobody cared then, but as soon as it starts happening to other people, it's a different story!
                        Maybe it's because this time it actually hacks your computer to upload and run the file?... You don't download and run it yourself somehow.

Comment

Hehe, can't be the same worm.

And, this one infected 7,000 computers in some hours, what about the one you got?

Comment

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
                            Hehe, can't be the same worm.

And, this one infected 7,000 computers in some hours, what about the one you got?
                            7000?.... More like 70.000-700.000.....

Comment

No, cus the rest of them had already patched their systems - or had a firewall installed.

Comment

Working...
                              X