To the map creators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To the map creators

Today i was flying around the levels in ghost mode, going places you shouldn't be able to go and stuff. I noticed that on every map I played, somewhere usually in a far east or far west area, there was like a mini city area. Like textures and things in the middle of no where. Are these textures needed so that they can be called just like in dromed when you had to create the blackjack, and put it outside the map, but used the contains command for garrett to have it?

Also in th-warehouse, i found this and had to ask.

North side building (close to the Northeast) has gates that are locked, but behind these gates, there are ramps that go down to a lower area that just connects the ramps. were you planning on using it during map creation and then just decided not to? Would removing these extra parts make the map a little smaller and easier to download?

Standard mapping practice is to create things to add to the level in some clear area away from it and then duplicate them to place in the map. You then leave them around ready to be used again later if necessary.
    Immortius' Forge

Comment

Almost any map you will ever see will have that mini-city area. It is more commonly known, however, as the skybox. It basically tells the program that when you look up at the sky (or any surface that is told to mimic that box, really) it'll show what's in that box.

On the other hand, in Warehouse there's a really large area that's used to make movers, like the lift-thingy in warehouse A. (in fact, if you look carefully in there you'll notice the exact one). This is so that in the mover-creating process, you don't have to worry about things blocking your view when getting the exact shape right. Most mappers, however, delete this area when they're done with the map, as to lower the number of zones, allowing for more named areas and other goodies.
      "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Sorry about the above post, but the area that you're talking about is just for decoration, to give the feeling that there is moer than jsut the area that you can see, and that there is an entire city out there.

The part I'm talking about is far off to the northwest.

And no, to delete the part you're talking about would lower the map file size about... 3 bits.
        "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

cool. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Why thieves are not allowed in the skybox...
            Immortius' Forge

Comment

Originally posted by immortius

That's for sure. The pointy red edges on that X could hurt them.
              The only constant is change.
              (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

I can see the pic fine....
                Nightwarden,
                .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                - "Earth dons the red; calls the maggots."

Comment

Originally posted by CrouchingDork
                  Originally posted by immortius

That's for sure. The pointy red edges on that X could hurt them.
                  Geez, wait a few seconds for me to sort out the URL, would ya? :lol:
                  Immortius' Forge

Comment

Make me.

Comment

That pic is awesome! Its like The thief God is showing his wrath.

Comment

That's really cool.

Creative and funny, I like it.
                        "Shivers running down my spine,
                        whos blood? I know its mine.
                        -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

Hadn't noticed it before, but that's a really bigass crate, too. Master Builder must be creaming his jeans at that.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                            Hadn't noticed it before, but that's a really bigass crate, too. Master Builder must be creaming his jeans at that.

Shut-up!

Comment

I've got another screenshot of a UT minigun turret in the skybox, just poking up over the mountains. Reminds me of quake 2, which had a giant turrent in its sky...
                              Immortius' Forge

Comment

Working...
                              X