No announcement yet.

DromEd and UnrealEd.....is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DromEd and UnrealEd.....is it possible?

Do you ever get tired of playing the same 12 maps over and over again?

I have this really intresting idea

What if it was possible, to somehow program a converter that would convert a DromEd map to the Unreal editor. And what if every fm that was ever created could be used as a new Thievery experience? I think it would be rather awsome myself. But, what kind of work would this take? is it possible?
    "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

I think someone already did something along these lines. Check the Mapping forum.

However, no, I'm not bored with the current maps. They're all very rich in possibilities for different play, there are well over 12 standard maps, and with fan maps, the count on the major servers is something like twice that. And with map knowledge being so much bigger a factor in Thievery than in any other first person game, having hundreds of maps available would be a nightmare, quite honestly, or at least very frustrating.

Comment

Yeah it can be done... But you only get the brushes. And some of them are to complex for UT so you get big nasty BSP Holes.

Comment

Too my knowledge, FMs are designed for singleplayer, with AI-only guards.

It wouldn't be a simple case of converting the brushes to UED format, the map would need significant changes to support online play. Especially to prevent players who insist on going where the mapper didn't want them to go.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Dan
          It wouldn't be a simple case of converting the brushes to UED format, the map would need significant changes to support online play. Especially to prevent players who insist on going where the mapper didn't want them to go.
          Sure it might need a little... But it's not like you'll have to redesign a map completly.
          Most Thief 2 maps already have plenty a ways inside, and with a little creative you could easily add a few more very interesting ones.
          And you may also allow the player to enter area's they wouldn't normally be able to get into.

The main point of the converter is to get the normal layout and size right. You can always customize and improve here and there.

Comment

Sure its possible. (taunt) (taunt)

But it only does the basic geometry. You still have to redo the lighting and AI and movers and zones. And sound. And decorations. And pathnodes. And item placement. And triggers. And textureing.
            (AKA Dresden)
            Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

So, basically, it does all the EASY stuff?

Comment

No, it does all the MUNDANE stuff.

Comment

meh, ok. Maybe some day i'll go about loading fm's into dromed and duping them onto the unreal editor, with author's permission of course :grin:
                  "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

Comment

Apache showed me what he converted, one of his FM's called The Keep. Bares bones was it. Just looked like a bunch of blocks, stairs, etc. Have to add the rest of the candy to fill it up. He was impressed at how fast it was done.

Where are you Apache. I'll nudge him this way.

Comment

Yes I started converting over one of my Thief FMs into UT...but and this is a big BUT.

You better plan on alot of time to redo the whole map. The converting part is easy but Garrett is alot shorter than the models for Thievery and all the brushes once coverted are very cramped quarters. Plus not to mention getting all the textures replaced and objects. Then you have the problem of making it playable for multiplayer.
                      All in all if you really want to do this..Convert over a small FM and then build off of it.
                      My 2 cents worth. :grin:

Comment

kindda how i'm working on a map called TH-Blackmail... where have we heard this? Thief 2 anyone?
                        http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7360475
                        -=:ToB:=- / :]eDe[: Site: www.endarkend.net
                        -=:ToB:=-Forums: www.endarkend.net/phpbb/
                        -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

Comment

The scale is the same... All doors in thief are standard 128high and 64width.... just like a normal tut door.

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
                            The scale is the same... All doors in thief are standard 128high and 64width.... just like a normal tut door.
                            Yes units are the same, but the models themselves I believe are different size..I've ran thru my converted map in Thievery and everything feels more cramped than when I play it in Thief..A noticable difference going thru hallways and such.

Comment

It might feel a little bit more cramped, but really, it isn't

Comment

Working...
                              X