Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google

Received the following email from a friend yesterday:

Here is some information for you to consider. Google has implemented a new feature wherein you can type someone's telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and then you will be given a map to their house. For a business this is probably a great feature, but sad to think in this day and age what a twisted mind could do with the information. Think about it - if a child, single person, ANYONE gives out his/her phone number, someone can actually now look it up to find out where he/she lives. The safety issues are obvious and alarming. This is not a hoax; Mapquest will actually put a star on your house on your street. In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, go to:

http://www.google.com/

and type your phone number in the search bar with dashes (i.e. 555-555-1212) and hit enter. NOTE: If your phone number is not publicly listed,you should be fine. If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information, simply click on the telephone icon next to your phone number. You will see a link where you are allowed to REMOVE yourself. Feel free to forward on to friends and family.
    I tried it out, and it proved to be true enough - the numbers of various friends did turn up their names and addresses. It's not completely accurate, though, as my parents' number returned an address three blocks away, and my own number returned the names of two girls, and an address over on frat row by the university here.

I have no idea how this affects people outside the US or North America, though.

This is old news -- although I'll spare the old hat picture -- I've been using it for a long time. I actually remember trying your number back in the day for kicks, and being amused by the results.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkBill
      This is old news -- although I'll spare the old hat picture -- I've been using it for a long time. I actually remember trying your number back in the day for kicks, and being amused by the results.
      Well, it was news to me. Though I have to say, I'm pleased with the results of a search on my number. Must be that Arcane rating....

Since when do you have my number anyway?

Comment

and my own number returned the names of two girls
        How about that...I put the phone number of two girls in and got....LR's address!! Amazing!
        Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
        www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Someone wanna give me some phone number that works, just so I can try it?
          The only constant is change.
          (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Google is also an calculator with a very nice unit converter.

Comment

Originally posted by CrouchingDork
              Sounds like someone needs a date ... BAD!

Oh, and mine puts my house a few blocks away, but it is still too close for comfort.
              No Linux, No Choice.
              Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Originally posted by LeatherMan
                Sounds like someone needs a date ... BAD!
                Seriously... I want to test it, but my number doesn't work, and random ones don't either.

Comment

Apparently Canada isn't included in this database... My phone number doesn't seem to work either...
                  It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

I point and laugh at you, southies.

My number is not included.

Comment

650-965-2369

That's not my name though and I'm totally sick of people calling for him as it happens pretty often. One of his hispanic relatives called in Spanish and didn't know he'd changed numbers, along with medical centers and other major agencies. The strangest call was one where I said, "hello," and there was silence for a bit, I said, "hello," again and the other person merely said, "Buenas noches, noches buenas." Was it code? Why would anyone say it that particular way? I think he was a secret agent man and he had to be relocated.

Those are our sites though.
                      BobTheDog says, "Now you've gone too far!"

Comment

That one worked.

Type it in, apparently it's some company number.

Comment

Cool feature... if only i would stop saying my number is my neighbours...
                          -=§=- |\/|هy Thê Gêëk Bê Wîth Yَْ -=§=-

-=ٍَ=- Fêه® Më!-=ٍَ=-

°HîddènGëêk°™

Comment

I NOW WHERE YOU LIVE, CLIFFY! MUAHAHHAH!

Actually, i cna't remember anyone's numbers, but i remember everything i type online, so it's actually pretty useful.
                            "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

That one worked.

Type it in, apparently it's some company number.
                              Yeah, MrEricSir's and my companies.
                              BobTheDog says, "Now you've gone too far!"

Comment

Working...
                              X