Internet Exploder Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Exploder Help

Ok, I know only idiots use IE but I need to download it so I can reinstall it on my brothers comp.

I downloaded the file, it was on my desktop, but I couldnt burn it to a disk.

I dont know why. I know what to do when I get it, but damn if I can get it onto anything I can carry over there.

I may have downloaded more than I actually need as it was 26mb, and previously I was told I sould just put it on a floppy.

Can anyone help here.
    Never let LaughingRat shave your testicles with a rusty serrated knife.

Why would you want to download a copy of IE instead of using your Windows CD to repair the system? Anyway I have no idea why you are not able to burn IE to a CDR. Perhaps if you zip it?

P.S. No, not only idiots use IE. I use it and I know I'm not an idiot :wink:
    I Need Training!

Comment

You can't put it on CD because what you downloaded wasn't actually IE. You downloaded a downloader.

Yes, I think its stupid too. When you dbl click the thing you downloaded it will take you to another section where you DL & install, all in one window...

As far as I know, you CAN'T download an actual .exe (officially, at least) of IE.

I can't give anything to help you, but I'm pretty sure thats why you can't transfer it to the other comp.
      Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
      www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Garlisk
        You can't put it on CD because what you downloaded wasn't actually IE. You downloaded a downloader.
        Not at 26 MB he didn't. But I'm not sure where TED got the idea that he could put IE on a floppy. Even Opera, which is one of the more compact browsers around, takes 2 floppies, WITHOUT the java support.

What Judge said about using your OS disc to reinstall or repair the installation of IE should work, though.

Comment

Yeah, listen to the other guys. I don't know what im talking about when it comes to this stuff.

(I'm not being sarcastic there either, I really don't.)
          Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
          www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Thanks guys. Im really just checking if this is possable to do and apparently it is not. I thought I was loosing it. (not that I was ever that good)

As far as using the windows/recovery disk, his comp is totally different from mine. I have an HP, put the recovery disk in, select the appropriate option and just wait.

My bro has a dell and dells process is totaly different, takes much longer and is almost manditory to be on the phone with tech sup to figure out.

The real fun started when we called tech sup and they said this is not my bros comp ! He bought it brand new 7yrs ago. Now after repeated attempts to get help his serial # is...um....Blacklisted ? So much for lifetime tech support.

Im going to try to talk him into a new os(xp) and this should solve things.

When I had this problem in the past HP tech support said to just copy to a floppy using a friends comp, and install. Then again this was after the same person said all I had to do was just download it from windows update. I then politely reminded her that I couldnt download a new copy of the browser without the browser.

Her responce was "Oh thats right, isint it" And for this they get paid.

fyi, I have nothing against IE, I just expected the first few posts to be spam saying real men dont use IE or such to that effect.

I appreciate your help guys, now that I know this is not possable Ill try other means.

I thought it seemed too simple.

Thanks.

Comment

You could download Opera from www.opera.com and either use it, or use it to hit windows update (though why you'd want to, once you've installed Opera, is beyond me).

Comment

Windows Update is for IE only. It requires some MS-application, probably ActiveX.

Comment

That's true, m2, but he can download IE from windowsupdate and then install it from there.

Why not copy the IE installer(that ~450k file) to a floppy and then have that install IE on his computer.
                  Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
                    Windows Update is for IE only. It requires some MS-application, probably ActiveX.
                    Shhh. I was trying to get him to install Opera and use it....

Comment

Lr, Im going to try out this opera on his comp and see what its all aboot. If he can use it anybody can and if not mebbe he wont ask me to fix his box anymore.

And salvage, Ill grab the installer just incase, this is prob the easiest method, but hes going to the opera first.

Thanks again everybody for all your help/suggestions.

Comment

Once Opera's installed, any questions on it, ask around here. There are a lot of people here for whom it's the browser of choice. Things like "How do I use all my favorites from IE" can be answered by people here.

Comment

Sorry I'm late. :|

Here is a very good link for getting to know opera. (The first page is a recommended read for everyone.) This page is actually for Opera 6 but 7 has almost (if not all) the same features as 6.

And as LaughingRat mentioned, feel free to ask questions about this in this thread. I'll be more then willing to help you with any problems.

Just for clarification, you can get Opera at their site.

Comment

Working...
                          X