Finally dared to play online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally dared to play online

It was the Gerome map. Got killed 3 times. All 3 my fault. 1st time I was peaking around a corner listening to the distance footfalls of a guard walking away out of sight, when bang, one had snuck up behind me. 2nd, they caught me up on a wall and them ranged weapons of theirs pin-cushioned me. #3 I thought I'd take a dip; and they all heard me and came running. Was loads of fun! A real blast!

I'm a TDP/T2 nut and have many-many hours under my belt sneakin' around, but this particular map has beat me, for now.

There was one guard standing at a foot of a ladder like he was trying to climb but couldn't. My only way up as far as I could tell to get to that balcony. So that ladder was effectively blocked off.

I see I've got to forget about anything I've learned on guard habits and abilities from the orig thief. When one jumped in the water and swam after me , I didn't know whether to howl or laugh when I saw him hot on my tail over my shoulder.

Another shocker was when I snuck up on one and beaned him with the bj. He rubbed his head, said ouch and proceeded to perforate me. I had to laugh to the end, a vision of the poor ole fella rubbing his noggin after I'd smacked him.

I hate to do it, but I may have to buy-up on invis potions just to get in. Worry about getting out later.

But not yet, must try the thiefy way first.

Wish I could tell which server it was. When I entered seemed like it installed several files on my pc. One was called "Shrinker". That anti-cheat stuff I hope and not adware?

Take care,

JimB.

Sounds like you joined a server owned by the resident cheater.
    I advise you to avoid that server in future :?
    Nightwarden,
    .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
    - "Earth dons the red; calls the maggots."

Comment

I had recently read the posts in the other forum about that. I'd read his server name was a play on LaughingRats server name Crackaz, and knew to avoid one named craterz. Could be he re-named his server? I'm fairly certain it wasn't craterz.

Actually I think it's title was Another Public server-Gerome map. One line above it was Crackaz. It's line was Crackaz Public Server-Gerome map. I didn't enter Crackaz as there was a match or something going on at the time, had lots of thieves and guards being used. The one I enterd had 0 thieves and 0 guards in use when I enterd. I didn't want my "newness" to interupt anyones fun.

I just checked, its not craterz, it's "Another Level Public Thievery server".

JimB

Comment

Originally posted by juvat
        I just checked, its not craterz, it's "Another Level Public Thievery server".
        Same as the "Craterz" server, just a different name.

And don't be shy, join any server that has people in it. If it's an actual match, it'll be passworded, or you won't be able to see it at all. All people in a server means is that there are people playing against each other in that server.

Comment

Welcome to TUT juvat.

Feel free to join any of the public servers and spectate a few matches and ask some questions. That is the best way to learn the multiplayer side of ThieveryUT (aside from actually playing). Get ready for a real shocker, though, as playing against humans is WAY different than against the AI!
          No Linux, No Choice.
          Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Thanks fellows for keeping me informed about that server. I see the "Another" had set AI to Genious; things I got to learn as I go along. I have to guess it was not the best sight to have got my "feet wet" in.

JimB.

Comment

Don't feel bad. Gerome just slaughters thieves.

Welcome to the chopping block. Do not worry. The pain will only be passing, you should survive the process...

Comment

Yeah... Gerome is like... an assualt more than a TUT map... wait till your on Darkend Enlightenment, then you'll be cooking.

p.s Craterz sucks :grin:
                -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
                - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
                - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
                -YT

Comment

Welcome to the forum and Thievery. Gerome is the worst map for a new player, very difficult to get one of the objectives, sometimes. Also, that genius setting, none or very few of the servers use that settings, it's too much IMO.
                  Spectate, learn some tricks from other players, ask questions, and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by FixXxeR
                    bla bla bla

It pings better and is more stable than crackez :wink: ; definately doesn't suck on those grounds.

Comment

If you ever have questions about which server you should currently be avoiding, go to the chat tab and join #thievery. If you can manage to wake someone up they should be able to help you.
                      It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by impulse
                        Originally posted by FixXxeR
                        bla bla bla

It pings better and is more stable than crackez :wink: ; definately doesn't suck on those grounds.
                        Yes, the ping is better for you, not me. Also it's about community ethics as well as connection speed. 8)
                        -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
                        - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
                        - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
                        -YT

Comment

Glad to here ya made it online!

Gerome may have you beat with when facing human gaurds as thief, but Gerome has most people beat as thief under those conditions. (Something about one little door to get to the key objective...)

As mentioned, join any server that is open. If it is closed, there will be a password required. If you get "Connection rejected by server," that server is simply full.

About Invisibility potions- there is a limit otherwise the hapless guards would have no real chance, especially when speed and catfall are throw into the mix. A warning about human guards and flashbombs- although they always work on AI, the effect on human guards is dependenton what the guards see- in fact, your flash may have no effect at all if they look the other way.
                          Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                          Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

By the way, that AI that was stuck at the ladder? You can easily walk right up to him and KO him. Might even be able to one-shot-kill him in the back.
                            The only constant is change.
                            (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Originally posted by CrouchingDork
                              By the way, that AI that was stuck at the ladder? You can easily walk right up to him and KO him. Might even be able to one-shot-kill him in the back.
                              Jeah I've noticed that too. The AI have a real problem with that ladder. They're somewhat annoying for thieves trying to make a run after they get caught though.

Comment

Working...
                              X