3D Studio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Studio

I'm learning 3D studio in school, and this our first lesson is basically to make a table and some objects to put on it, and then build a scene around it. Here's what I've got so far.

Still have to do some lighting work, and maybe adjust the camera and textures a bit, but it'll be a bit until I'm done some lighting lessons and such when I'll work on that. In a couple weeks or so, I'll probably be ready to do that, and build a house around it. Then I'll animate it so the camera moves around the house, and post that.

Anyone else here work with 3D studio?
    The only constant is change.
    (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Dalai will make any tester-wannabe-mapper eat their own socks if they don't learn it.
    JM

Comment

Does that mean I can be a tester?

Comment

how long it take ya to learn that? and how hard was it? i promised dalai i'd learn it so i gotta start in a week or so <_< >_>
        http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7360475
        -=:ToB:=- / :]eDe[: Site: www.endarkend.net
        -=:ToB:=-Forums: www.endarkend.net/phpbb/
        -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

Comment

What map is that, Th-That70'sShow?

j/k...good luck with your new hobby
          No Linux, No Choice.
          Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

It was pretty easy actually. We used a tutorial, but it's a lot easier when there's a teacher to help you along with it. It probably took... 10 hours or so in total maybe?

Comment

Yay, I've always wanted a room like that....not. :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by LeatherMan
                What map is that, Th-That70'sShow?

j/k...good luck with your new hobby
                Hehe. We have limited textures and such, since we're using an 3D Studio Viz 4 or 5 I think.

Comment

You are also probably using a light "Educational" version.

Comment

Heck, it's probably version 2 or 3 with Beamsville Welfare District Secondary School....

Comment

Not bad, CD, not bad at all. Your school rox if it has a 3D Studio Max class

A few suggestions: Add a "toe" to the base of the table so it looks like it can physically hold the longer end of the table up (right now it looks like it should fall over). The lamp needs more polygons. Shadows in the cabinent: are there any? If not, check your raytracer for calculating shadows through glass. The green glass doesn't look like it's refracting. Making it refract might add some "thickness" to it. Add moulding around the base of the floor for realism (all rooms have moulding, tho they are usually overlooked when modeling). Textures.... tabletop would look nice if it were polished marble or polished wood that's one large piece, not obvious slats. The cabinet doors are obviously repeating the same texture. Try to slide the textures around so they look different, if you can. Make the bricks the correct height you normally see them as. The lamp could use a nice stained glass texture (plus would give you a good opportunity to mess with mapped transparancy or luminocity).

All in all, a very good piece. Post more when you make them!
                      "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
                        Not bad, CD, not bad at all. Your school rox if it has a 3D Studio Max class

A few suggestions: Add a "toe" to the base of the table so it looks like it can physically hold the longer end of the table up (right now it looks like it should fall over). The lamp needs more polygons. Shadows in the cabinent: are there any? If not, check your raytracer for calculating shadows through glass. Textures.... tabletop would look nice if it were polished marble or polished wood that's one large piece, not obvious slats. The cabinet doors are obviously repeating the same texture. Try to slide the textures around so they look different, if you can. Make the bricks the correct height you normally see them as. The lamp could use a nice stained glass texture (plus would give you a good opportunity to mess with mapped transparancy or luminocity).

All in all, a very good piece. Post more when you make them!
                        Well, actually it's communications technology, but 3D studio is a unit in it. I think we'll be doing web sites soon.

The table is supposed to be like that ("Futuristic" look, :roll , and so is the lamp, but I can adjust it around after I'm done the tutorial. I like the transparency idea though.

The cabinet, I just imported from file. Same with the couch. I can't even remember if I put a texture on the cabinet, it might have already been there. Either way, like I said there's a very limited amount of textures.

I appreciate the constructive criticism, and I'll try to use it to make it better. I'll let you know when the finished project is done.

Comment

Working...
                        X