Notice to MSN users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notice to MSN users

As you may be aware, tomorrow Microsoft will be forcing all clients connecting to the MSN Messenger network to use the new version 6 protocol. In addition, they'll be requiring licenses for third party clients to connect. It's still uncertain what terms will be required for a third party client, and it's going to take time to fully reverse engineer the protocol.

This means that a considerable portion of the MSN network will be unable to connect, starting tomorrow. I use a third part client -- Miranda IM if you're curious -- so I'll be among them. Obviously, this won't effect other services, many of which have open standards, and I encourage people to consider switching to a different service, or running a client that supports multiple protocols.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

why to use msn ? we have icq :grin:

Comment

interesting... I didn't know that. I use trillian, and I guess this means after tommorrow MSN won't be usable by trillian anymore.

This is typical of Microsoft. I hope someday someone breaks their financial back. Poo on them.

Comment

ICQ for me, rarely do I use AOL IM anymore. Some people have tried to get me to use MSN, glad I didn't.

Comment

Shit, trillion wont work for MSN users?

Bill Gates! you havent seen the last of meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...............
          -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
          - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
          - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
          -YT

Comment

Trillian won't work?
            The only constant is change.
            (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

If they charge money for their third part liscences, I hope everyone starts boycotting their messanger. I know I will.

Comment

OMG BOYCOT MSN!!!!!...untill trillian will work....i'm guessing it won't?
                http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7360475
                -=:ToB:=- / :]eDe[: Site: www.endarkend.net
                -=:ToB:=-Forums: www.endarkend.net/phpbb/
                -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

Comment

Originally posted by CrouchingDork
                  Trillian won't work?
                  It's still unclear exactly what Microsoft will be doing tomorrow, but there's a good chance of that. I think Trillian supports the protocol, but I'm unsure what the licensiing situation is. Since they charge for Trillian Pro, they might be able to afford one.
                  Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

I use Trillian. I won't miss them.
                    (AKA Dresden)
                    Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

Sooo, will it mean Trillion wont be able to connect to MSN users or does it mean Trillion cant use MSN?

>>>I R CONFUSED<<<
                      -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
                      - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
                      - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
                      -YT

Comment

Originally posted by FixXxeR
                        Sooo, will it mean Trillion wont be able to connect to MSN users or does it mean Trillion cant use MSN?

>>>I R CONFUSED<<<
                        It means you will no longer be able to use MSN through Trillian. ICQ, AIM and Y! should continue to function.

Comment

what exactly is the difference between ICQ and AOL IM?
                          GLORY TO THE MANY!

Comment

Originally posted by godofdarklaughter
                            what exactly is the difference between ICQ and AOL IM?
                            Back in the day, they were different services. ICQ had a substantial technical edge, although many avoided it because you didn't have screen names, instead you were assigned a number. Several years ago, though, ICQ was bought by AOL, and they now run on the same protocol and are interoperable, although ICQ still uses numbers. ICQ still has a couple advantages, though, such as being able to send messages to offline people.

Comment

Trillian is abusing MSN's system along with others to earn money... They use MSN's server for the program they sell.... Wouldn't it only be fair if they had to pay a licens fee in order to do it?

Comment

Working...
                              X