MY blackjack solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY blackjack solution

For you many mappers, i am going to do it when i make my thievery map but i would suggest putting a ko limit on your map...sound cool?
    "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

It never sounds cool to me to impose such arbitrary limits.

Comment

I'm with LR on this one.
      Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

I'm with DB on this one.

Comment

I'm with Bob on this one

Thought for the day: Beware of Gods who do not laugh

http://bobthemad.8m.com/

Comment

KO limit? Huh? Why are you even bothering to make such a map?

Comment

*yawn*

You know, there's a suggestion forum for this.
              JM

Comment

I consider the blackjack issue moot. By the time you finish a map like this, 1.3 will be out and the balance dynamics will have changed. The only way (IMO) you could work a KO limit into a map were if it somehow tied into the story for your map. Like, for instance:

You are looting a mansion because you need money to buy a new blackjack. After one hit, it will bust.

*grabs imagination by the collar and reigns it in*

After that, it might be kinda cool to play a map like that. In other words, I'm for it. But make sure the map itself rocks, because otherwise nobody will even play it. Good luck!
                "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

thanks buho, i think its a shame that people don't see the importants of winning by objective these days, and just wanna eliminate everyone by ko. And lr, I never see you even playing, so you shouldn't have posted, you have no idea what im talking about.
                  "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

Comment

Originally posted by Thief13x
                    thanks buho, i think its a shame that people don't see the importants of winning by objective these days, and just wanna eliminate everyone by ko. And lr, I never see you even playing, so you shouldn't have posted, you have no idea what im talking about.
                    Nonsense, all of it. I don't think you can argue that I don't see the importance of winning by objective -- I'm a ghoster. Most people in this community, I would argue, prefer to win by objectives.

Next, the fact that you never see LR playing is meaningless. I know I have -- I rocked him on flats last night. ^_^ I've seen him playing many times, although often on a private server, and I always see him in CTG practices. And, you know, he might even be aliasing.

All that aside, however, that's still a stupid thing to say. Saying someone has "no idea" what you're talking about because you've never seen them play is absurd. I doubt you've seen many of the devs play -- would you argue -they- don't know what you're talking about? Foolishness.

What all of us were objecting to, as LR put it so well, was enforcing arbitrary limitations on play such as this. It's the means we object to, not the end. I hope you can see that.
                    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Originally posted by Thief13x
                      First, most of us do see the value of winning by objective. You'll NEVER see me going for a win by KO. That doesn't mean that I' don't KO, though.

Second, just because you don't SEE me playing, doesn't mean that I'm not.

Third, I have just as much right to post in response in your thread as anyone else. If you don't want response from specific people, email it to the people you DO want comments from, don't post in a PUBLIC forum.

Fourth, I know exactly what you're talking about. You're talking about the perceived problem of too many thieves winning by eliminating the guards. This is a problem that goes away WITHOUT an artificially imposed map limit, WHEN GUARDS GUARD EFFECTIVELY. The idea is a) not needed and b) destroys the immersiveness of the game. Having to COUNT the number of KO's that have taken place while playing? That's just uncalled for.

Comment

LR, it seems as tho you've ran into answering this thread without even thinking, you've just shot down 13x's idea without even considering it, and I personnaly don't think it's because you don't actually like the idea, more that you don't like 13x. I'm not hitting on you, I'm just stating what it looks like from the outside.

----Consider this-----

I'm sure that some of you have played the Thief2 Level (i think it's T2) where you must plant the evidence in the police station, there was a KO limit on that map for a reason, to make the framing work.

if 13x you where to make a level similar to this, and carfully designed it. (You'd have to very carefully balance it, testing it with other people) It would be a fine addition to the current map cycle, It's original, it deviates from ANY of the other levels which promotes diversity.

At the moment we have maps ppl hate and other ppl like, I like flats, but hate folly, others may disagree, so I try to guard folly and put up a good fight for those who do enjoy it.

As it stands, we have ZERO forced ghosting maps, we have one forced no killing one, and Thief13x's suggestion would only be a SEMI-GHOSTING map, allowing for some margin of error.
                        ~TuF~

Comment

Per thief maybe but not per team.... it would be okay to count yer own Koes but needing to ask the team every few minutes "have you koed"
                          I take MrEricSir's view on this.... why have such a thing.... this is only MY opinion... its your map mate
                          How TuF are you?
                          League of Legends
                          Bloodbowl by Extensions

Comment

Originally posted by Aggamemnon
                            Per thief maybe but not per team.... it would be okay to count yer own Koes but needing to ask the team every few minutes "have you koed"
                            I take MrEricSir's view on this.... why have such a thing.... this is only MY opinion... its your map mate
                            I agree with the team aspect, I don't have an idea that would cover this problem other than removing the KO ability alltogether....

....surely Aggamemnon, if the map intergrated a believable, solid scenario that explicity gave you no option but to have a limit such as 'Framed' It would be feasable to 'have such a thing'.??
                            ~TuF~

Comment

You make some good points, TMach. If there's a mission specific reason for not KO'ing, or al imit on KO'ing, that's one thing. That would certainly not detract from the immersiveness of the map, but instead add to it.

However, if you read the original post, that's not what Thief13X is suggesting. He's suggesting that mappers put a KO limit in their maps. Bad idea, IMO.

Lastly, wherever did you get the idea that I don't like Thief13X? Actually, the reverse is true. I watched him come into this community as a whiny, foul-mouthed punk, and shape up a LOT. When he posted Halloween greetings for the community in the form of a pic he'd taken of himself done up as a thief, and in one of the thiefmesh poses, everyone ridiculed him for being such a geek. I stood up for him and said that I thought it was neat that he' bothered to tell us all Happy Halloween. So I'm not sure where you got the misconception that I don't like him.

Comment

Working...
                              X