the fix to piracy just hit me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the fix to piracy just hit me!

it just hit me. How do people pirate music/movies/games? they download them, and burn them. What if cd rom, dvd rom, and dvd/cd disc manufacturers raised the price of burners and so forth, and dibbied the extra amongst those industries that are suffering from piracy in proportion to how much they are suffering? I know it doesn't really sound like a fix, but cmon if we are being realistic, we could see that people are saving money by not buying entertainment, and spending the extra on ways to steal it! it all makes sense to me! I know that raising the price of cd burnders ten dollars doesn't sound like much, but be sensible, do you know anyone who does not own a cd rom burner, but does own a computer?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the movie industry isn't suffering quite as bad as the music/game industry. Why is that? maybe because dvd burners are still much more expensive, and therefore, dvd's are more difficult to copy. However, dvd burners are rapidly dropping in price, and soon the movie industry will be in just as hot of water as the music industry. So, what do you guys think?

Timmy
    "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

In Canada we have a small tax (that many aren't aware of) on blank CD's, VCR tapes, DVD's etc. as part of a law that was passed a few years ago. The law states that we can copy any media we like as long as we own it or the person who owns it allows us to copy it from them (which makes filesharing apps legal.)

I'll see if I can link to the whole article about it, it was pretty interesting.

EDIT: Here it is...
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

I wrote an essay on this in college.

The electronics company 'Phillips' invented the tape, the little tapes you put in your C64, and that you could put music on and stuff. They also invented the VHS..... the video tape.... 2 major advances in media of that kind. Then.... 'Phillips' invented the CD.... its like... OMG, 3 major advances in that field.

Just think... 'Phillips' get money for every tape... VHS, and CD sold... ever.

The way I see it.... 'Phillips' pwnz all. I think they have something to do with this copy business and access to things online and otherwise. I mean, 'Phillips' make CD and DVD burners.....

mmmm, intresting theory, 13x.
      -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
      - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
      - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
      -YT

Comment

i know who doens't have a cd burner but a computer and it is charles (SW). and my grandma and grandpa, and my friend matt.
        I have sex with my hand!

Comment

Originally posted by Thief13x
          Correct me if i'm wrong, but the movie industry isn't suffering quite as bad as the music/game industry. Why is that? maybe because dvd burners are still much more expensive, and therefore, dvd's are more difficult to copy.
          DVDs are ridiculously easy to copy. So I guess the only thing stopping people from copying DVDs are the cost of burners($150+ CDN) and media($1-5/disc CDN). DVD burners are still a luxury most people don't have right now, but it didn't take very long for CD-RWs to become commonplace.
          Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

yeah, just so happens my dad works for Phillips fixxer he found me a 22 inch flatscreen free

Anyways, my dad also just bought a dvd rw for 100 bucks, thats what i'm talking about when i say the movie industry is gonna be in hot water real soon. I was just thinking about how expensive dvd r's are at 1-5$ per peice, whilst cd rw are a dime a dozen. I duno, it would just make sense to me, and i think canada has it right btw! i didn't know they came out with that law up there 8)
            "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

Comment

13x, that sounds a LOT like Chris Rock's solution for random shootings and violence: make bullets cost $5,000 apiece! Can't quote the whole routine, but he's pretty funny.
              "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

though I dont have a burner myself I believe the license agreement sold with them says something like "You agree not to use this burner for illegal activities" or some such sentence. So what's the use jacking up the price of a burner when the manfuacturers wipe the blame off themselves when you click to install the drivers/software? 8)
                [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

Art in the age of mechanical reproduction.

Good, I say.

People should feel that they have a moral obligation to give money to those that deserve it (starving artists etc), rather than mega-corporations with their centrally planned economic system churning out tired "high concepts" like sausages out of a meat-blender, no?

Broadband+DVD-RW+iPod type things+credit cards=recipe for revolution, oppression, or both. I favour revolution.
                  Red Guard
                  Thievery UT

Comment

Originally posted by oRGy
                    People should feel that they have a moral obligation to give money to those that deserve it (starving artists etc), rather than mega-corporations with their centrally planned economic system churning out tired "high concepts" like sausages out of a meat-blender, no?
                    This is true... everyone is in the middle of a digital revalution. It doesnt sound like much... but even something as simple as turning a photograph you've taken... into an image on a computer. To you, the image is a physical thing, something you can pick up and look at. A peice of time frozen, thats from your personal viewpoint. To the computer its a binary code. A set of numbers that determine the file size... colour, etc. The computer doesnt know you went out and took this image... its not personal to the computer... it just does what you tell it to do. This goes for music and other multimedia.

It really atonishes me.
                    -YT

Comment

Fix, that was rather philosophical. I like it.

To answer 13x directly: No, raising the price of CD media or burners won't stop it. Stuff like that has been done in the past and it doesn't work. All it creates is a black market.
                      "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Yeah, you raise the price of burners, and suddenly you have a few guys who managed to buy one charging everyone else to burn stuff. All you would accomplish is more money for those who can spend it on expensive hardware...

Comment

Originally posted by BiG_D
                          Yeah, you raise the price of burners, and suddenly you have a few guys who managed to buy one charging everyone else to burn stuff. All you would accomplish is more money for those who can spend it on expensive hardware...
                          I was thinking more down the line of the government, or whoever governs the gaming industry, the FCC for music, to impose a piracy tax, where the money earned from this tax is distributed amongst those artists in proportion to their sales. Kinda like a state tax that has nothing to do with the manufacturers.

Comment

The point still stands, though, the people with money will buy a burner, and continue to make money selling burned copies of stuff...

Comment

Yes, thats a good point Big_D. What I want to know is though... where does it end? You have to get a CD or DVD burner sure, if you want to make copies of things, but where do YOU get your copies from? The internet....? a contact? a friend? but where do they get thiers from? the chain must go round in circles and get tangled and all sorts.... who is the ring leader? Who knows who leaks things out?

Its difficult for me to put into words... I'm quite articulate, but when it gets complex, I stuggle. I hope you get what I'm saying.

Who runs the show,I'm saying... There must be someone who 'knows' whats going on and where things come from....
                              -YT

Comment

Working...
                              X