Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deus Ex 2: As much of a piece of cow excrement as the demo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deus Ex 2: As much of a piece of cow excrement as the demo?

For any of you who have bought the game (God save your souls), I'm really interested in these "features"

Are/Is the:

AI as retarded as in the demo?
    The (lack of) effective movement (Constantly hopping up and down, the sliding, the horrible mantling) as bad as in the demo?
    Does it run as bad as the demo?
    Does it still take a clup to the head to kill one person?
    Is the (God-awful) retarded console inventory in the game?
    Is the (lack-of) DX1 style targeting chrosshair still in the game?
    Is the (lack-of) ammo differentiation also like in the demo?
    Is the lack-of water that was rumoured to be in both games in the game?

I'd (hate to) want to know more, but the above criteria give me a pretty good idea of whether or not this game is worth me pitching in 5$, and buying the one copy, to be burnt for everyone involved. The demo has already put the silly notion of actually buying it out of my head.

I find your lack of faith disturbing...

Anyways, http://66.193.119.177/index.php?showtopic=206193&st=0

One post is a mini-review thingi:
    Hi, First post. Thought I would come out of lurker mode to give my first impressions of the game (bought it yesterday night).

I am a massive fan of the first Dues Ex and System Shock 2.

I tried to make my mini review as spoiler free as possible.

Graphics
    -----------

Good, but not Great. As everyone says, the lighting is spectacular, but the texturization is rather bland, and lack "sharpness". This may be because I can only play the game smoothly, in the second to lowest graphic setting (860 * ---). Shadows look especially good, I just wish they actually served a purpose!

Overall I would rate the graphics 3/5

SOUND
    ----------
    Nice weapon effects, the voice acting is varied. Some people have criticized the quality of Alex D's voice overs, but from what I've seen, it's pretty good. Maybe not as good as the monotone JD Denton's voice, but it works for me. Some of the responses you can give to the NPCs are flat out hilarious--like the last game. Some of the NPC's sound a bit hokey though. So it's a mixed bag.

4/5

GAMEPLAY
    ------------
    I confess I was worried in the department. I was very excited when I heard IS was making a sequel to my favorite game. I disappointed with the demo, but held my judgment in check, it was after all a demo. But with all the negative fanfare on the forums, I was almost expecting the game to suck.

I was wrong.

Game rocks, utterly and completely rocks. I am not disappointed. Having said that, I am disappointed IS went with the UA. It changes the feel of the game. And no reloading, another bloop by IS. I miss leaning, but after the first 30 minutes pf played, I learned to live with it.

AI is a mixed bad. Sometimes the NPCs act smart, and other times dead stupid. Overall I would say the AI is much better than Dues Ex 1. I still remember killing npcs next to their buddies, hiding for 5 seconds until the guard walked away. Fortunately, it's better this time. If you shoot into a building, expect (in general) the guards to come rolling out looking for you.

The story is as good as ever. Dare I venture to say...better? It seems....tighter, for lack of a better word, probably because the game is significantly shorter the first time through (no I haven’t beat it yet.. 6 hours into it). But the replay value is enormous. I would chance to say you could replay the game a good 4-5 times, each time a different gameplay experience (and story). I love how you can choose sides. Think playing dues ex, but having the choice to stick with UNATCO and give your brother the finger. Multiply that by 2 or 3 and you have IW. I can understand why all the reviewers love it.

Different play styles work well. I am a mix of melee master and stealthier. Nothing greater than slamming that baton into a guard's head. Quite fun. Next time around I’m going to be a sadistic Rambo. Oh, you can pretty much kill anyone. Just like the first Dues Ex, it REALLY effects the game. If you start murdering people, everyone treats you different then if you choose peaceful methods (tested this a few times). Moral choices really come into play. I murdered a few people, but I actually felt bad about it, because it effects the story.

I would give Gameplay 4.5 stars. I know, a ton of RPG elements are missing, but the game is really really fun, and the story every bit as immersive as the first. Because of this, I can overlook some of the flaws.

Conclusion
    -------------
    Yea, it's not the first game, but it's still the dues ex we love. As one review said "it's a skinner version".

I hope in Dues Ex 3, IS puts back all the RPG elements they took out. IMHO those are what made the first one so great, in addition to choices. Yea, the game is flawed. Yea, it could have been better, and yea, it's dam fun.

It's much much better than the demo IMHO. Some of teh gameplay elements are the same (mixed AI, no leaning etc), but the suberb story, moral choices, and more weapon choices + biomods give it, thankfully, a better feel then the demo.

Would I recommend the game to you guys? Hell ya! I think anyone who loved the first one should give it a shot. If you like the dark, gritty feel of the first game, a suburb story(so far) with plot twists, and open ended gameplay, start heading to the store. It's still Dues Ex. Now excuse me, I’m continuing my game.

4.2/5

Comment

Well, it got rated 9+ on gaming sites....
      The only constant is change.
      (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Originally posted by CrouchingDork
        Well, it got rated 9+ on gaming sites....
        So did Evercrack.

Comment

There's a big diffence between Deus Ex and a MMPORK.
          The only constant is change.
          (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

I'll have it tomorrow morning I think. Can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
              I'll have it tomorrow morning I think. Can't wait.
              W00t? I tought it wasn't released in Euro before feburar. :grin:

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
                W00t? I tought it wasn't released in Euro before feburar. :grin:
                It isn't, but there are some nice sites like DVD Box Office.
                Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
                  I find your lack of faith disturbing...

Anyways, http://66.193.119.177/index.php?showtopic=206193&st=0

One post is a mini-review thingi:
                  Hi, First post. Thought I would come out of lurker mode to give my first impressions of the game (bought it yesterday night).

I am a massive fan of the first Dues Ex and System Shock 2.

I tried to make my mini review as spoiler free as possible.

<Snip review>
                  It sounds like a nice, dumbed console game.

*Throws up*

If I wanted to play console game, I'd get an X-box.

Comment

Yay, that quoting is totally breaking the rules. Stop it, please.

*_*

Comment

The high review scores are very suspicious. Especially that gamespot review, which read more like a 3/10 than the 8/10 attached. I suppose it's pretty obvious how certain areas of the gaming industry press work these days.

Comment

Not to mention the fact that the gamespot player review average is 5/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha-Omega
                          Exactly how do "players" review a game they have yet to play or have (at best) only played a few hours of?
                          No Linux, No Choice.
                          Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Yeah, I checked it and there were only three reviews, probably not good ones either. Regardless, I played enough of the demo to know not to buy the full game right now.

Comment

Originally posted by LeatherMan
                              Originally posted by Alpha-Omega
                              Exactly how do "players" review a game they have yet to play or have (at best) only played a few hours of?
                              Yeah! How about we figure out whether a game is good or not by buying it! :roll:

Oh, and what do you mean "How can you judge a game you only played for a few hours?"

The interface sucks.

The AI sucks.

The locational damage sucks.

The lack of leaning/proper crosshair sucks.

The unified ammo SUCKS.

The game might have a nice story. If I want a game with an awesome story, and total crap for gameplay, I might as well go see a movie.

Comment

Working...
                              X