Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hmm...Windows question about Add/Remove Programs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm...Windows question about Add/Remove Programs.

There are TONS of programs on the Add/Remove programs list that are no longer on my comp. How can I remove them from Add/Remove list, also?

Thanks.
    Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
    www.usyetzer.com

Usually if there are programs in the Add/remove utility which are no longer on your hard drive, it means that there are keys in your registry that haven't been removed with the programs. This makes windows think that the programs are still installed on your machine. This is why most windows programs have an "Uninstall" file. There are programs that can clean out invalid registry keys (norton windoctor does this), or you can try using Regedit. Be extremely careful with regedit, and make sure you know what your doing, as you can wreck you computer with it. There have been a few cases when i've used Regedit, but I try to avoid it.
    <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Comment

I killed my comp with regedit once. Had to format to get it back. But, I've also succesfully used it to find cd keys, kill viruses without a scanner, kill spyware, etc.
      The only constant is change.
      (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

It's basically supposed to be like an installation log, Garlisk. That's why it also has the "add" option, so you can click and re-add the program provided you have the software (obviously you don't have to use the control panel to re-install, but you CAN.)

Unless there's a good reason you need to get rid of programs in that list (i.e. xxx dialer ), I'd stay well away. Regedit is NOT a good place for the average computer user.
        Nightmaster,
        .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
        - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

The program listing in the registry for add/remove programs can be found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\

You shouldn't screw around with it or you may have big problems. However, one time when this will be needed is if a program didn't install properly and the uninstall info gets corrupt and you want to re-install it.
          Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Well its not a big enough deal to ruin my comp over.

Its just FILLED with demos and stuff I tried, and its rather annoying when I try to get rid of something that actully is in my comp.

Oh yeah, and there at 7...7!... of Unreal Ed, from each time i've had to un-install/reinstall it.
            Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
            www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shug
              Unless there's a good reason you need to get rid of programs in that list (i.e. xxx dialer ), I'd stay well away. Regedit is NOT a good place for the average computer user.
              xxx dialer hey, now why would you be famaliar with these Shug? :lol:

Comment

Win XP has an option to delete entries.

Impulse, I get them all the time through spyware.

Comment

I use a program (made by Microsoft but unsupported, I think) called TweakUI to get rid of any of those. It lets you tweak all kinds of things too. Good prog.
                  (AKA Dresden)
                  Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by CrouchingDork
                    Impulse, I get them all the time through spyware.
                    What kind of sites do you people visit to get this kind of stuff? I have never used any kind of spyware removal tools or anything, and I've never ended up with any kind of dialer...
                    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

You can get them through certain software. I don't really care though, they can't get by me.

Oh, I suggest you download a spyware removal tool right now. I bet you'll find at least 50 components. I had over 300 on my first scan....

Comment

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Spyware Removal/Prevention Tool &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;
                        No Linux, No Choice.
                        Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Anyone knows "Regcleaner" ?

Its not free anymore, but i still use a earlier version which is still freeware and it works fine for me.
                          My leet Thievery Map
                          My leet UT3 Map
                          My leet AS Map

Comment

Originally posted by CrouchingDork
                            Oh, I suggest you download a spyware removal tool right now. I bet you'll find at least 50 components. I had over 300 on my first scan....
                            Not likely, I just reformatted yesterday.
                            And I really don't care what kind of spyware is running, as long is it stays out of my way.
                            It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by BiG_D
                              And I really don't care what kind of spyware is running, as long is it stays out of my way.
                              The nature of spyware is that it doesn't stay out of your way, it only appears to do so. You may not see any evidence of it onscreen, but it uses system resources, memory and CPU cycles, and can significantly degrade your system performance. Aside from that, the very idea of some company surreptitiously installing their software on my machine, using my resources to collect their marketing information for them pisses me off. And that's just assuming that the spyware in question is of the least malicious variety. Some pieces are designed to collect account information and passwords and send them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X