Geosh**ies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geosh**ies

Ok, my very first website I created is on Geocities. It's been up since they offered 2MB free space (circa '97?). Tonight I was browsing my website, enjoying the content on there I hadn't seen in years. Then I got a "site has exceeded its allocated data transfer" error. WTF?!

What is the maximum? Have they increased free space? Has Geocities gone anal like all the other free web hosters like Tripod and Angelfire? ...I take that back. Geocities has been anal since at least '97.

I guess I'm just ticked that other interested individuals can't view my entire site in one sitting! Holy crap. It just hit me. If four people were visiting my site at the same time, they'd only see a QUARTER of what I got to see! That's BULL! It's my comics website, so that means lots of pictures. No more than 5MB worth, though. Egad, that sucks. I've stuck with Geocities so long because I believe in a more "permanent" Internet, even though the Internet is almost by definition transient. (In other words, I hate updating people on where my website is.)
    "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

So register a domain and pay a little per month to have your site hosted. If you decide, later on, you don't like the company, take your business to someone else and keep the same URL.

Besides, a Geocities URL has about as much prestige as an AOL one (that's a bad thing).

Comment

To expand upon what Oie said...

Klan-Host -- 100 meg space and 2gig transfer for $2.50/month.

Fruitadnet -- 3gig space and 25gig transfer for $5/month.

And GoDaddy.com will usually sell you a domain name for a little under $10 a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha-Omega
        Klan-Host -- 100 meg space and 2gig transfer for $2.50/month.
        Fruitadnet -- 3gig space and 25gig transfer for $5/month.
        Hmm, I think I would find hosting elsewhere. I mean, they've got quite much space to give away, but hell - what's the use when you can't use it? 2 and 3 GB transfer is like nothing. You couldn't offer any kind of files at all, just text (html) and images. On the other side... It wasn't very expensive.

Bandwidth caps are hell. I know most of the webhosters have this - cause bandwidth is very expensive. I'm hosting Night-Blade.com at a norwegian hoster, and the reason I chose them was that they don't have any bandwidth caps. They are also connected directly on the Norwegian NIX, which is the largest and quickest connection point for ISPs in Norway. Quick connection is a must, especially since we're going to host files that will get downloaded a lot of places in the world.

Comment

If you want someone good and free then I thoroughly recommend www.frandt.com.

The signup page is "under construction" at the moment, but I assume that it won't be for long.
          I'm cool!

Comment

Hehe
            Deftones

Comment

Yeah, bandwidth caps suck. Even 25GB/month means 34MB/hour every hour. That only services about 100 people a day, asuming you aren't serving up any massive files. (Hmm, pretty good price for a small website.) Imagine having bandwidth caps on how much you can download through your ISP. *shudder*

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
                Imagine having bandwidth caps on how much you can download through your ISP. *shudder*
                Welcome to the wonderful world of (most) Australian ISPs, my friend.
                Nightmaster,
                .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

I'd be happy to host it if you're interested -- no cap involved.
                  Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkBill
                    I'd be happy to host it if you're interested -- no cap involved.
                    What kind of 'server' is that DarkBill? Apache running on your computer, or do you have a dedicated win/*nix box?

Comment

I *had* a 10 gig/month bandwidth limit. Found out they got rid of it a few months ago, and I started filling up my hard drive.

The only constant is change.
                      (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
                        What kind of 'server' is that DarkBill? Apache running on your computer, or do you have a dedicated win/*nix box?
                        Dedicated FreeBSD machine on a T1, running Apache.
                        Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkBill
                          Dedicated FreeBSD machine on a T1, running Apache.
                          Nice!

Comment

hey buho we need to 2vs2 with louie. hes getting all over me about it... contact me
                            No ones here to save you,
                            Jesus Christ is in heaven now.

-Hellsing

Comment

er, PM me?

Comment

Working...
                              X