Temp server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp server

The server is advertised, but in case you can't see it the IP is 64.231.224.51 on port 7777.

The machine specs are:
    500MHz Celeron
    128MB SDRAM

Max players is set to 6.

Mutator: Map Randomizer - every map in the map list gets played, but in a random order.

SERVER RULES: (Also found in the MOTD via F2)
    No cheating, No insulting
    Keep foul language to a minimum
    No suiciding for more supplies

Feedback on lag, stability, load times, etc. is welcome.

For those that I've told, the Admin pass is the old one. My server's practice Admin password. Please be responsible with it(this means you, CD).
    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

I'll give it a try tonight if I can. What operating system is it running?
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

gj salvage, ty.
      ~TuF~

Comment

Originally posted by Salvage
        The machine specs are:
        500MHz Celeron
        128MB SDRAM
        TNT2 16MB
        essential info for a dedicated server
        AlienMode ThieveryUT adaption
        Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
        Life is a bitch, then you get cancer. One story is good till another is told.

Comment

I'll try it out... cheers sal.
          -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
          - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
          - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
          -YT

Comment

Originally posted by DarkBill
            I'll give it a try tonight if I can. What operating system is it running?
            Win98

Originally posted by Beowulf
            TNT2 16MB
            essential info for a dedicated server
            Yeah, I know. I just wanted to brag about my super powered AGP2x video card.

Comment

Mine has a TNT2 chip as well.
              AlienMode ThieveryUT adaption
              Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
              Life is a bitch, then you get cancer. One story is good till another is told.

Comment

Thanks Sal, I have missed the CTG server. :? We shall test it out, and break it, er wait, you know what I mean.

Comment

cool thank you!!!!
                  "Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Comment

The lag is horrible with eight players -- about three times what it should be, with frequent and heavy packet loss. Mayhaps lower the max players to six?
                    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Well, so far there's been one lag complaint(aside from DBs), and when there are an excessive amount of firebolts happening there is uber lag, which I think is what DB is talking about.

No crashing mid game for the last couple hours I've been playing(and since there's only one log file I don't think there's been any at all).

Comment

Sal, get 8 players on it and check system resource usage. If either memory or CPU usage is running at or near 100%, the lag is probably from the machine not being able to handle that many people. If both are consistently at 90% or lower, your problem is probably banwidth.

Either way, drop the max players one at a time. There's usually a "breaking point", a point at which it's OK, but adding one more player sees a sudden drastic increase in pingtimes.

Comment

Ah, yep, CPU at 100%. I'm not too happy with lowering the number of players, but I guess I'll have to.

Edit: Oddly enough, with 2 players on it right now the CPU load is at 100%. I think my program that tells me CPU load isn't working right(it's primarily a memory manager/defragmenter). Anyone have a good program that'll tell me the CPU load per process? Similar to the task manager in 2K and XP? 98 doesn't have such a utility built in.

Comment

Ok, a couple red flags:

1. Celerons make very bad servers. The small cache size really makes for a performance hit under heavy load. We have a small test network of about eight Celeron 600's and they perform quite poorly compared to real PIII's.

2. 128 MB of RAM is not much at all. Make sure you close as many programs as possible prior to starting UT to cut down on swapping.

3. A memory defragmenter probably isn't a wise thing to be running on a server. What happens when it suddenly decides to swap something out during a game?

Comment

Well, so far there's been one lag complaint(aside from DBs), and when there are an excessive amount of firebolts happening there is uber lag, which I think is what DB is talking about.
                              No, I was talking about normally. My ping was in the 300 range, which I never see on servers outside Australia, and I was getting mad packet loss at times. Everyone else on the server had similar problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X