Virus... or something.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus... or something.

Appears I have a virus... or some big problem. Spend a couple hours trying to figure it out, but gave up and started using safe mode. That's what I've been in for the last couple days, just to work on my final projects and such.

It's really wierd, it seems like there isn't a virus, since I can't find any viral processes or registry startup keys, but when I load up the computer it disallows the internet status and disconnect sometimes (closes it as soon as I open it while connected, won't let me disconnect) and eventually crashes everything, starting with the windows toolbar.

I always update my definitions and everything too. Bah. It said it was missing a norton component, so I ran a scan and then a couple online scans, with nothing. Then I installed Norton Systemworks 2004 (had 2003) and still found nothing. Seems there's like 3 norton files missing now. BAH! I'm beginning to think it's just some huge error or something... but I don't see how this can happen without and wierd processes.

Any ideas?
    The only constant is change.
    (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

LOL back-up your files . I used to have huge problems with my comp, turned out to have a bad hard drive. Some of the problems are similar to yours, and some really wierd ones, like when I tried to boot up the computer it said "System crash imminent". Strange stuff, I had already reformatted and reinstalled windows at least 3 times before finally buying a new hard drive, which fixed my problem.
    <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Comment

Maybe... any ways you can check that?

Hmmm... I ran defrag soon before it happened....

Comment

Yeah, just do a surface check, which might even fix some problems. Also, there is a program that comes windows called the "system file checker". Just type "SFC" in the RUN dialog box from the start menu. You might give tht a try too.
        <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Comment

It's "sfc.exe /scannow" in WinXP.

The surface scan will take hours(start it before going to bed), sfc will take at most 20 minutes.
          Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I remember something about that "System failure imminent" thing. I believe it was actually a bug and the company that made the HDs was sued bigtime b/c craploads of people went out and bought new HDs and didnt have to. But then, maybe your failure was imminent. /shrug
            Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
            "Dream is Destiny"
            Waking Life

Comment

for this shit I use a backup program its called "Norton Ghost". It makes a backup of a partion you want and if you have a problem or other stuff you go to DOS and then return the partion to the status without problems or virus...
              "Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Comment

before anything! backup the shit you need! go! NOW! do it!

-points to door-

shu shu! c'mon! move it!
                ~TuF~

Comment

Do you use any tweaking softwware other than your BIOS?

and are you using dialup?
                  "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Crap! They found me out!

I knew I shoulda brought more invis potions!

Comment

Time to crack his comp, Virus. Then DM it with BHs...
                      Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
                      "Dream is Destiny"
                      Waking Life

Comment

Originally posted by -=V12US=-
                        Crap! They found me out!

I knew I shoulda brought more invis potions!
                        *Kills V12US*
                        There. Taken care of this one, now go do what Mach and others said:

BACKUP BEFORE ANYTHING!
                        Feel the power of the

Comment

I took care of it. No virus has ever defeated me, with or without AV software and a internet connection.

That's why I'm gonna start a computer fixxxer business.

Comment

Guess who fixxxers the computers!?

no.... its... its not me... &gt;sob&lt; :cry:
                            -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
                            - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
                            - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
                            -YT

Comment

I'm not dead! I feel fine!

I think I'm going for a walk, lalala! *eats a registry setting*

Comment

Working...
                              X