Wanted: SMTP server.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: SMTP server.

Ok, the problem is this. Lycos stopped free access to their email accounts via SMTP, which sucks. Even trying my own personal ISP e-mail I now have no e-mail on my forum.

So, can anyone suggest a free email service that provides unauthenticated SMTP access and allows sending to more than 5 recipients (between 30-50 would be great) or does anyone actually have access to an email server that I could leech off. The usage would be very low as it's mostly for reply notifications and the odd announcement but I can't find anywhere that provides what I need.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -
    The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

www.hotmail.com ?

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
      www.hotmail.com ?
      costs plenty o' $$$
      -

Comment

Why does everyone say that? Hotmail costs no money unless you want an expanded account!
        <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Comment

SMTP is teh bomb. Much more convinient for my lifestyle. Nope, can't reccomend any free services. My ISP supports only POP3, which sucks, considering I'm even paying them.
          "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Originally posted by Firetiger
            Why does everyone say that? Hotmail costs no money unless you want an expanded account!
            Guess what we want!
            -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
            - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
            - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
            -YT

Comment

Originally posted by Firetiger
              You cannot use hotmail's SMTP server (AFAIK) without using it's web interface (with an account). What Chainsaws wants is a mail server he can use to send mails from the forum and out to his users. Imagine how it would be if everyone could use hotmail's SMTP server, it would drown in outgoing spam messages.

Most SMTP servers are blocked for use by others than their customers (like ISP's smtp servers). And I don't think there are many good SMTP servers out there that's accessible for everyone. I rather suggest that you, Chainsaws, buy a domain and a mail package from a webhoster, which would most probably give you access to their SMTP server. It's not that expensive at all.

Good luck!

Comment

Mode is right about Hotmail, I checked. I also checked every other free email account I could find and they're all the same. That's why I asked here because none of the big public server will allow unauthenticated access because of spam.

I'd be happy to rent a hosting account (even though mine is currently free) but I'd need domain hosting, smtp mail, asp support and perl et al - all this seems to be pretty expensive.

Unless mode or anyone else could recommend a decent host.
                -

Comment

I've tried www.softhome.net. But they use smpt port 25000 instead of 25 to bypass the antispam blockers that most ISPs use. I never got to trying it out much tho.
                  Also, I do believe www.dyndns.org has a mailhop smtp for $15/ year. they have user settable port as well.
                  http://publictut.webhop.net/
                  Community Server for ALL to use for
                  hosting: Avatars, images, files, maps,
                  and more!

Comment

the smtp support on dyn ips are denied by the most isp like telekom, aol, etc. this, because most of the spam emails were coming from dyn email servers. so one kind of protection is in future NOT to allow smtp by dyn ips as usual.
                    also it is available, if u pay for it.

the sense is, if u pay for something, u ll be more careful about using it and what u do on it.

i.e. telekom i can use smtp relay for 3,00 euro monthly pay.
                    A real huge Man will neither stamp on a Worm, nor crawl for an Emperor

Thievery Customs Center
                    Vietcong Customs Center

Comment

I think they changed that, here is the quote right from the www.dyndns.org site:

The MailHopSM Outbound service provides a secure, authenticated outbound SMTP relay server, operating both on standard and non-standard ports.
                      it also goes on to say you can send 150 messages per day.
                      http://publictut.webhop.net/
                      Community Server for ALL to use for
                      hosting: Avatars, images, files, maps,
                      and more!

Comment

Ah well, I'll help you out. Check your PM's, you just got a new pop3/SMTP account.

Comment

Working...
                        X