Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you ever want to see TUT comics again... help me out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you ever want to see TUT comics again... help me out!

I've put a LOT (a few months) of work into making pixel characters and comics in MS paint (I don't want to hear about it...not in this thread) and now I've run into a problem.

I made a comic, saved it as JPG but its the same size as the BMP. Then I saved it as PNG, and it was STILL THE SAME SIZE. I'm like...wth.

And now I ask you. Wth?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

(And telling me to get something other than MS pain will NOT be helpful, so don't waste your time there. I know its not quite the preffered tool, but thats what I'm working with right now.)
    Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
    www.usyetzer.com

I am only guessing as to what is going on, but it sounds like MS paint is saving your images as bitmaps irregardless as to how you save them. That is, you save as JPEG, but what really happens is you save a bit map in a format readable as a JPEG (ie- no compression applied). If this is the problem, the solution should be simple, although it requires a another step after MS paint.

Go to http://www.irfanview.com and download the freeware picture viewer there (Note- this a viewer, not creator like MS Paint, so it does not violate that "don't tell me to use something else" rule ). Open your BMP file in IrfanView and then convert to a JPEG or PNG file. Save and check the file size- it should now be smaller. If this works, IrfanView has a really nice, flexible, easy to use Batch Conversion Utility. If its converter works for the first file, converting ALL the other files will take the about the same amount of time.

Hope that helps.
    Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
    Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Freeware you say? Okay then! I'll check it out!

Err...I would, but the link doesn't seem to work. Searching for Fan view.
      www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Ok, I searched for it, and its the same site you gave, I get immediate 404 error.

Can someone tell me if the site is down?

P.S. Went to Cnet and am DLing it from there.
        www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Just save it as BMP, and use another program to convert it to jpg.

Comment

Garlisk, if the site is down and you can't get it, get on MSN and I'll send it to you and tell you how to work it.

Comment

I got it from Cnet, and it worked great. Thanks! Ill explore other stuff on it later. In the meantime...check the comic!
              www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Funny- link did not work me either, but for some reason doing copy/paste did. Strange.
                Sounds like you found it though. Glad it worked.
                Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

I use this nifty little program, ClickPic, for all my picture conversion needs. It slices, dices, resizes, and converts all in one. It has a trial time, but I'm way past it, and the only effect seems to be a little reminder that I have 0 days left whenever I convert something, which I can then continue past after three seconds.

I guess you could use Irfanview, though. But all this requires is to save to bitmap, or whatever, right click the file itself, and convert! Bam!

Comment

If you're making 32x32 pixel images, the JPEG overhead might be countering the benefits of compression and result in roughly the same size as a bitmap. If you're making small images for the web, I suggest GIF (or PNG, except PNG support is crap, even though it is superior).
                    "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Eh? ClickPic sounds better if doing files one at a time, but all Irfanview requires after you have created your bitmap files is "Batch Conversion" -> Select any number of files -> BAM. This without the annoying reminder (freeware for us home users).

Comment

I have all of the A Modest Destiny comics. The original GIFs are 20.5MB, while the PNGs I converted them into are only 10.3MB.

PNG is supported in most if not all browsers, just not transparency in IE. If you're not using transparency then PNG is the way to go(set the compression level to 9 in Irfanview).
                        Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

I would use PNG, but my earthlink hosting thingy won't let me upload PNG. Only JPG and GIF.

I think its working out fine...
                          www.usyetzer.com

Comment

I know you said not to advise using another program, but I would highly advise downloading GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). It's completely free, if pirating software is what you're worrying about, and it's almost as good as photoshop if you're not manipulating massive graphics files.

you can get it at www.gimp.org. There should be a link to get the windows version somewhere on there.
                            me videre non potes, occultatione gero....
                            [You can't see me, I'm wearing camouflage....]
                            -CaligoIpsa

Comment

Ill check it out Caligo, thanks.

Yeah, pirating and spending money are the 2 things I worry about. Its kind of limiting, but the results aren't always that bad.
                              www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X