Hacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacking

The other night I went into an AOE:2TCE game room on MSN gaming zone. I setup a server and wanted to know if it was working properly (I used direction connection, not an msn game room). Well, I gave out my IP address so people could test it out. After about a min I get two messages from two people saying that it's really dumb to give out your IP address and not not give it away like candy blah blah. One of the people that messaged me claimed that he was a "Hacker". I typed to him a little and he seemed to not know the difference between hacker and cracker (not that anyone pays attention to that anymore). blah blah blah the convo goes on a little and i ask him to try and hack me then he says that i'm dummber that he thought.

Ok, whole point of this story. Is it really something to be worried about about getting "hacked". I use to worry about those things years ago but now i really don't care of pay any attention. In fact i have DMZ enabled on my router and am using no firewall whatsoever. I've never been hacked before. Most of my files are backed up any how.

Sooooo...you think these guys that were so worried about me giving out my IP address (which is easy enough to find out) are just script kiddies that don't what the heck they're talking about? What are your opinions on this hacker/cracker stuff?

I have a firewall right now, but I'm debating uninstalling it. As long as you have antivirus, you're protected from the vast majority of threats. You'll probably never be hacked in a way that it'll be harmful to your computer. Sure, one day, someone might just hack your computer and screw it up. But the reason I'm debating uninstalling my firewall is: Would I rather run the risk of having my computer screwed by a hacker, or suffer through all the inconveniences of a firewall?

If a hacker wants to come take a look at my machine, I say go right ahead. I don't know what they'd be looking for (well, credit card numbers and crap I guess), but they're not gonna find anything special.
    The only constant is change.
    (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Don't disable your firewall! I did it for a week and had a few viruses that Norton didn't pick up until a full scan.

Comment

With auto-protect on?

Comment

yep, it didn't pick it up. I don't know why, I'm not anti-virus expert, but I know that I had it on with my firewall down and a week later I ran a scan and had a few minor trojans. It also congested my broadband connection so that I couldn't even load Google.

Comment

Odd. Maybe you just have lots of enemies in high places.

I had no firewall most of last year with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha-Omega
              Don't disable your firewall! I did it for a week and had a few viruses that Norton didn't pick up until a full scan.
              Dude, stay away from the pr0n sites then. Or the "Warez" site in general for that matter.

Comment

I didn't visit any like that, and I'm not dumb enough to click yes to all those permission popups.

Maybe it wasn't because I disabled my firewall, but I do know I had some after I disabled it for a while.

Comment

Yes, a good firewall and automatic virus scanning = give your IP address away like candy with no fear.

Otherwise, just like, join other people's IP games.

Comment

Having your DMZ on is pretty stupid. Many trojans, viruses, and worms use random ip and port scans to find vulnerable systems. With your firewall running it won't see your system.

Don't think it's uncommon for that to happen either. You know your dumb neighbour who doesn't have an up to date antivirus(or none at all) and uses Outlook Express on your ISP? Well, the worm now has a range of valid IPs to search, yours quite possibly one of them.

The firewall is prevention, the antivirus is fire control. What if your av doesn't know about the new virus?

It's not too hard to configure your router's firewall. It gets easier after you do it a few times as well.
                    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

a firewall is becoming really nessesarry around that time... Make me a bit sad!
                      "Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Comment

Without my firewall I get loads of dodgy messages appearing on my screen, with it I have no problems whatsoever. There is a site (cannot remember right now) where you can scan your own ports, with my current setup I have a "stealth" rating on everything, i.e, a scanner scanning those ports/IP's will not even pick up a "closed" status, it will just return nothing.

I don't have a virus scanner at all, I have one on my server which runs every week on a full scan checking all drives on the network and we haven't had a virus for around 2 years now, not because we have no enemies, but because we arn't stupid and open every god-damn e-mail we get in outlook, or run dubious *.exe's sent to us.

Saying that I would not want to alter the current setup we have because it's so stable.
                        ~TuF~

Comment

Originally posted by TheMachine
                          There is a site (cannot remember right now) where you can scan your own ports
                          Afraid it wouldn't let me link to it directly, but go to http://www.grc.com/ and click on Shields Up.

Comment

Originally posted by CrouchingDork
                            ...or suffer through all the inconveniences of a firewall?
                            All inconveniences? Is it really irretating you that much? It's a shame that many people think like you, since it makes the "threat" even bigger. Your computer might be used as a zombie machine attacking a specified server with thousands of other zombies at the same time, controlled by a group of hackers. It's not just about your own safety and precaution, it's about others safety too.

Don't uninstall it is my advice, keep it up, set it up, and leave running. The antivirus software might not catch up a new virus either, since there must be created a cure before the virus can be handled and prevented from screwing up your system.

Also, I can't stress this enough, using IE is a BIG security risk, no matter what you say. Some of Window's source code was leaked last night from a set of hackers who broke in to the closed Microsoft Network, and this might make the hackers find even more security holes in the "famous" MS browser. Of course, it is your own choice, but you are going to regret you used it some day.

Comment

Someone call my name?

Comment

Working...
                              X