~ Passion of the Christ ~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~ Passion of the Christ ~

keeping up with the religion talks thta have been going on lately,I figured Id ask if anyone has seen or plans on seeing this movie. and what they thought about it and its factualness (?) from the real scripture. I ahvent seen it yet, and i wouldnt normaly see a movie like this but I do findit somewhat intriguing.
    http://publictut.webhop.net/
    Community Server for ALL to use for
    hosting: Avatars, images, files, maps,
    and more!

I stopped watching "religous" movies becase of how innacurate they are and how ridiculous people think these days. Sorry, but I won't be seeing it. Anyone else care to comment if they've seen it yet?
    Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
    "Dream is Destiny"
    Waking Life

Comment

eh for your information curunir, this movie is extremly historically correct [taken right out of the bible, mel gipson is a full pledged christian, he wanted it near pefect( nothing is perfect) ]
      AKA: -=:Tob:=-Catburglar

---===Woe to the man who messess with the bloodwolf===---

Life is like a jar of jalepeŁŒos, what you do today can burn your ass tomorrow!

Comment

The terms "bible" and "historically correct" do not belong in the same sentence.
        I'll still be seeing the film though, just to see sow anti-semetic it actually is.

Comment

I don'thave any remarks on hte subject, becasue i havn't seen the film, but

www.letgodbetrue.com is one of the most idiotic religious sites i have ever seen with opinions of the film.

Seriously, If a church says that "if a person goes to a church which has stained glass windows, then he is damned for all etenity" you've got to wonder...
          "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Sure I would see this movie. I think it will be interesting to see what the film-makers etc, are trying to do with it. And how they portrays such a sensitive religious event and also the final days of a man (Son of God or not) who shaped the world's largest religious body which in turn had an enormous impact on the development of all western culture. :grin: . Yes, I now do European History and its cool

Originally posted by MegaDude
            I'll still be seeing the film though, just to see sow anti-semetic it actually is.
            Oh and yes, I want to see If the Jewish community has a real reason to be annoyed.

Originally posted by MegaDude
            The terms "bible" and "historically correct" do not belong in the same sentence.
            True, some historical elements of the bible cannot be held to there exact word or the world was created in 4004 BC and there was lots of in-breeding going on in the Garden of Eden. :wink:
            .: Daymaster - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

Comment

Haven't seen it yet but I intend too. From what I've heard the Jews are blowing the anti-semetic thing way out of proportion.
              Interesting sidenote: It was actually the Romans that put Jesus to death(although Pilate washed his hands of responsibility)
              and The Catholic church is called ROMAN Catholics, yet the Catholics actually
              endorsed this movie.

Comment

Mel Brook's The Passion Fruit: Men in Togas was a really funny movie.

Oh, wait. We're talking about Mel Gibson's The Passion of Christ.

I saw the movie opening night. Had to stand in line I went with two friends of mine, a born-again Christian on my left and an Athiest on my right. I'm what you might call a believer but not officially, if that makes sense. I've been researching the whole Christianity thing for about 6 years, examining evidence of the historical correctness of the Bible, evidence of Jesus actually being the real deal, and generally why it might be important to me in my life. Because of that, I have to believe that Jesus really did exist and he really is the Christ. And seeing that so graphically in this movie is really mind-blowing.

Presentation-wise, it was quite different. We were sitting in the theater waiting for it to start, the lights dimmed, and the usual no cell phone and "this is our theater" things played. Lights came back on, we started talking more, the lights dimmed a second time, and the movie just started playing. No commercials, no trailers, not even pre-credits or title! It just started playing! All credits were after the movie. Very impressive!

The movie, from a theatrical perspective, is quite peculiar. It is extremely graphic; I was biting my tounge and twisting my fingers because it was so intense! It's over 120 minutes long, but it feels like 80 minutes. As a movie, it's different because there's no plot curve, no story arc, no character development. It's basically showing you what the Bible says, with no interpretation or explanation. Mel Gibson did not seem to have added any of himself into it to make it his own. The only room for creative freedom is in the way it was shot (the cinematographer), the scoring, lighting and editing -- all devices of moviemaking. But the script itself is like reading the Bible (which I haven't done). In this way, it's one of the more unusual films I have watched, and I enjoy watching films. No argument, it is an extremely well-made movie. High budget.

It's not in English. I detected Aramaic (an old form of Hebrew), Latin, Greek, and possibly Persian (although that might be the Aramaic I heard). It's subtitled in English.

The movie was very sobering. Not sad. For Christians, the movie ends on a hopeful note (the Resurection). For non-Christians, it ends with the death of Jesus and him ficticiously rising from the dead. No gloss, no glamor, nothing to really argue about. But it was sobering nonetheless, for you witnessed the sheer cruelty and bloodthirst of humanity, and the extremely small minority of kind-hearted people who had no power to stop the events from unfolding. Like I said, it's extremely visual. You experience what Jesus experienced. At the least, you gain an appreciation for the what humanity can do, you become aware of its existance, and maybe you can steer clear of that path in your life.

Just my random thoughts on the movie.
                "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Sorry, but I tend to not watch movies in which a caucasian plays the part of Jesus... You know, because he wasn't blonde-haired and blue-eyed like you see in so many "stain-glass" windows and paintings...
                  "Dream is Destiny"
                  Waking Life

Comment

He looked mid-Eastern to me.
                    "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Mel Gibson Mid-Eastern? I can't see it... unless they did a really good makeup job...
                      "Dream is Destiny"
                      Waking Life

Comment

omg where do I live!? I have never heard about that movie! :|
                        "Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Comment

Originally posted by Curunir
                          Mel Gibson Mid-Eastern? I can't see it... unless they did a really good makeup job...
                          Mel Gibson didn't play Jesus.

Comment

The only Jesus (tm) movie I'd like to see is The Gospel of John and that's because Pontius Pilate is played by Stephen Russell.

http://www.gospelofjohnthefilm.com/themovie/cast.aspx
                            Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

Originally posted by Grank
                              BA joins #shadowguild
                              Grank starts to vibrate
                              Omega - I think it's inappropriate if someone starts vibrating when someone of the opposite sex joins the channel.
                              Grank vibrates in Omega's general direction
                              KICKED
                              That put me into a giggleing fit. :lol:
                              Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Working...
                              X