Can't add more than 1 memory dimm to motherboard :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't add more than 1 memory dimm to motherboard :(

Its really retarted, ive had this problem since i bought this computer three years ago. I add one ddr memory dimm, and it works fine, i add a second one, and it locks up with the infamouse "blue screen" every two seconds, or crashes programs out constantly, and whines about "insufficient memory. Ive tried different brands of dimms and still nothing. My system is...

1.2 ghz Athalon

256 DDR

VIA chipset, spacewalker motherboard

Geforce fx 5200 128 ddr graphics card

Ive been running on one 256 ddr dimm for a long time now. They had sent me a second free 256 ddr dimm accedently when i first bought my computer, but i could never use it cause of this problem. I just tried installing a new 512 dimm and it does the same thing :? I was just wondering if there is anything in my bios i should change, or somthing basic that i'm missing. I really want to be able to use this extra memory damnit!

P.S as long as i have only one dimm in, it works fine, doesn't matter if its 256 or 512, it doesn't cause a problem.

*Edit* I have tried switching them around in the slots, it doesn't make a difference. Also, i am running Windows ME. I had also updated my motherboard drivers, and it still didn't help. No one responded when i emailed the company about it either. Unfortunatly, all ive read on the internet is good reveiws about this board. makes me sick

Thanks

T13x
    "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

omg a 1.2 ghz Athalon with a Geforce fx 5200 128 ddr graphics card..... is that possible?
    "Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Comment

You may just have had a bad system board from Day 1. My reasoning is that since both the original 256 Mb chip and 512 Mb chip work in slot 1 just fine, but by putting either one in slot 2 causes issues.
      Team ORJ

Comment

Ever since the format and reinstallation of my windows, about a month ago, I've been the victim of the blue screen too.
        On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

It is possible that the original 256MB DIMM has a lower latency than the other DIMMs and the BIOS is set for that lower latency that the new RAM is incompatible with. I would set the RAM timing to "by SPD" (this is a BIOS setting, see your user manual for instructions).

Another possibility could be the density of the memory modules, Registered vs Unregistered RAM, or that they are double-sided DIMMs and the mobo is simply incompatible with it. Double check the user manual and DIMM specs for compatibility.

You could even try booting into another OS to see if the OS is the root of your problem. I recommend Knoppix since it is free and doesn't modify anything on your harddrive. Download Knoppix, burn it to a CD (boot from it to make sure it works before testing) then swap the RAM around and boot Knoppix again. If it boots fine with Knoppix then WinME is the problem (wouldn't be the first time :roll: ).
          No Linux, No Choice.
          Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

VIA chipset? You might want to try flashing your BIOS up to the latest version. I had to in order to get my second and third slots to work at all.
            Immortius' Forge

Comment

As I understand, if you have up 512M in the system, all is well. If you try to exceed that (ie. put 2 memeory sticks in), you get a blue screen. It may be you have bad hardware, but it might be Windows. Had a similar problem with Win98SE when I went to 768M. WinME might suffer the same problem. If it is Windows, the fix is an easy change to Windows System.ini file. Before editing it, remember to save a copy first. You can edit it either directly using notepad, or got to START->RUN and type "msconfig" or "sysedit".

All you need to is set constrain the virtual cache. Letting windows do what it wants here cause problems like the one you are facing. Never really found good information explaining how to select the best values, but for now will use cache values of 1-60M. Values are in kilobytes.

[VCache]
              MinFileCache=1024
              MaxFileCache=61440

This solved the problem for me. Forget offhand what I am using, but hopefully this should work fo you.

Microsoft info on this (Article 253912):

http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

Microsoft description of the fix I used (Article 108079):

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;108079

Article mentioning virtual cache:

http://www.windows-help.net/windows98/tune-34.shtml
              Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
              Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

bah, i think i'm just gonna live with it, and purchase ram in larger quantities per dimm. Thanks anyway
                "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

Comment

Does that mean limiting the virtual cache did not work? Or that fix seems like a lot of trouble?

If it did not work, using one stick might help.

If you have not tried the virtual cache fix, and that is the problem, you will still have issues. The problem is not the number of sticks, but the amount of memory.
                  Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                  Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

using one stick is what i must do. No offense but i really didn't follow you're instructions on cache memory and stuff, i just don't want to screw my computer up when i have it working so nicely 8) Thanks anyways, but i'm really not quite sure what i'm doing, and this new 512 dimm seems to be doing the job.

happy thievin

T13x

Comment

Can you have two different speeds of DDR ram? I know you can't with SD, but I'm not sure about DDR.
                      The only constant is change.
                      (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

One question:

Did you get it from Dell? My bud got a comp from them and the motherboard it had could only use 2 of the same exact sticks at the same time. It didn't work with only one, so it actually kinda sounds like the opposite of your problem. Call the manufacturer and bitch them out; he got 2 512 DDR sticks out of it for free...
                        Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
                        "Dream is Destiny"
                        Waking Life

Comment

sounds like a deal!

no actually i got my motherboard from tigerdirect, and i didn't want to chance it as they accidently sent me two 256 ddr sticks, whilst i only ordered one i just sold the second one to my dad (as i couldn't use it with mine) for 30 bucks or so

Comment

There's your problem. You ordered from Tigerdirect.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                              There's your problem. You ordered from Tigerdirect.
                              Hey! I ordered all the pieces for my current computer there and I have absolutely no problems with it. Just built it myself last month and it is very stable and reliable.

Comment

Working...
                              X