Thief, Thief II and windows xp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thief, Thief II and windows xp

wow, i actually think i can play less games on my new computer than i can on my old.

a windows xp P4 2.8 with a gig of ram versus a win ME P3 1.0 with 256 ram.

the latter wins for running thief and thief II. TII crashes incessantly on my new pc. i updated the patches and everything and it locks up after five minutes no matter what i do, in game or in menu, active or idle. the problem is definitely not graphical as i tried different resolutions and i am using the same graphics card as on my old pc (with updated drivers and DX 9.0b). im thinking it might be the audio, though, as i am using onboard audio and when i do a speaker test in the audio options menu the game locks up.

im sure everyone knows what this is and there have been countless threads like this before. i apoligize for my stubborness to post. i merely wanted to vent about windows XP.
    "Tyler sold his soap to department stores at $20 a bar. Lord knows what they charged. It was beautiful. We were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them."

Originally posted by [bulletproof
    ]a windows xp P4 2.8 with a gig of ram versus a win ME P3 1.0 with 256 ram.

the latter wins for running thief and thief II. TII crashes incessantly on my new pc. i updated the patches and everything and it locks up after five minutes no matter what i do, in game or in menu, active or idle. the problem is definitely not graphical as i tried different resolutions and i am using the same graphics card as on my old pc (with updated drivers and DX 9.0b). im thinking it might be the audio, though, as i am using onboard audio and when i do a speaker test in the audio options menu the game locks up.
    Search these forums. littlek had the same problem, and it has to do with your P4's Hyper-Threading. Salvage has a nice tutorial on how to fix it.
    No Linux, No Choice.
    Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Originally posted by LeatherMan
      Salvage has a nice tutorial on how to fix it.
      Yes, yes I do.
      Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

I want Hyper-Threading too...!!! :?
        "Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Comment

Well my Thief 2 isn't working anymore tnx to some detonator drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Skull
            Well my Thief 2 isn't working anymore tnx to some detonator drivers.
            Just go back then. :roll:

Comment

Tried it,still didn't worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Skull
                Tried it,still didn't worked.
                AHHH Fix had this problem with his GF4 too, contact him tonight, see what he did to fix it, I know his works fine now.
                ~TuF~

Comment

Will do,cheers.

Comment

Sorted.
                    -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
                    - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
                    - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
                    -YT

Comment

im going to try Salvage's dark engine tips. thanks to all for replying and cooperating.

be back in a bit.
                      "Tyler sold his soap to department stores at $20 a bar. Lord knows what they charged. It was beautiful. We were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them."

Comment

thank you so much, Salvage. works perfectly. how i love Shipping and Receiving!

Comment

Working...
                        X