Help! PC Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! PC Trouble

I recently got a new motherboard and after installing it and turning on my pc it will run fine for about 20 seconds then simply power off. At first I thought it was overheating but after setting my CMOS to fail safe defaults and monitoring the temp (constant 40 C) it would still shut off. Anyone have any idea what else might be wrong? Here's my full specs:

Abit NF7 w/ nVidia nForce2 chipset
    AMD XP 2700 Socket A
    Dual Atlas pc 2100 512mb DDR ram
    Radeon 9800 pro
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 XS
    D-Link Wireless Ethernet Card

Thanks a ton if anyone can help me fix this.

Probably reinstalling windows would be the first thing to try.

Comment

Your PC is too good! Get a worse one!
      "Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Comment

Originally posted by Sneaky
        Probably reinstalling windows would be the first thing to try.
        Well, that depends if Windows even starts before the PC shuts down.

My guess is that you are getting a bluescreen, and then the PC is restarting trying to encounter the problem. Is the Windows installation the same one as you've used on a computer with other hardware specs? The drivers might be causing the crashes.

If you are able to without losing any data you need, install a clean version of Windows. If you do have some data you have to keep on the Windows partition, try to boot in safe mode, and uninstall the hardware drivers. Also, set Windows to not reboot on bluescreens. That might help you in retriving information about the errors.

Comment

Ok,

- When is the PC turning off? does it turn itself off when it's left idle in the dos? or only when in windows? If it's in dos and it turns off, are the fans turning quickly enough? do you have "overheat protection" turned on in your bios? if so, what are the settings.

- if it's in windows, check the log, if you've got a decent version of windows (2000+) check the logs and see if something happens beforehand

- If you have a GFX card on your MB try running with this for a while, at least it will isolate teh problem.

- Try UNDERCLOCKING your cpu by 100mhz... see what happens.
          ~TuF~

Comment

Check your power supply to make sure it is powerful enough for what you are trying to run. If you suspect it is the power supply, try removing a couple of components (sound card, ethernet card) and see if it will run then.

It could even be a bad stick of RAM, or RAM that isn't compatible with the mobo. Try booting with only one stick in different slots, but make sure you test both sticks.

Finally, check to see if there is an updated BIOS. Some mobos had issues with the Radeon 9800 (or better) and a BIOS update fixed it. If you have a spare graphics card, try booting with it instead.
            No Linux, No Choice.
            Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

When your system boots, press whatever key it's supposed to be to get you into BIOS setup. See if you shut down after 20 seconds or so in the BIOS. If not, your problem is probably OS related. I'm told that a motherboard upgrade almost always requires a reinstall of Windows (wouldn't know myself, I've upgraded my mobo twice without having to reinstall), so that's your most likely bet.

It's possible something happened to your PSU while moving hardware around that's causing it to fail. Usually when a PSU fails, it just goes, that is, it either works or it doesn't, but the most recent PSU I've had fail made the system it was in behave exactly how you're describing, so that may be it as well.

Comment

You've got a lot of things to test out here Alpha Omega.

Just don't start with the heavy things like installing a new copy of Windows. Check the things mentioned, and give us feedback.

Good luck.

Comment

Also make sure you havn't been eating anything while screwing around inside: chocolate is a conductor (which i found out the hard way)
                  "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Originally posted by Radamanthus
                    Also make sure you havn't been eating anything while screwing around inside: chocolate is a conductor (which i found out the hard way)
                    o.O ehm... wtf? ^^
                    "Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Comment

Ok, I was a bit vague the first time around so I'll fill in a few details.

Yes, it hangs up before I ever start booting Windows, most of the time I'm in the BIOS menu and it will still do it. I've checked the temps and it never goes above 40 C before it shuts off.

I underclocked it to 833mhz and this time it lasted about 10 minutes before shutting itself off (still in BIOS).

I've got a 420 watt power supply and all the voltages in the BIOS look good.

A few things I'm about to test:

- Removing various ram, video card, and other parts to see if it's a specific piece.
                      - Check for any conductive materials touching the MB.

Another little note about the shut-downs: Usually when I leave it for a while and start it up, it lasts longer than if it had just crashed by a large margin.

And thanks for all the replies, I had only expected 1 or 2.

Comment

Another simple thing (if you have not already)- Check for loose/poor connections (never hurts).
                        Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                        Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha-Omega
                          Yes, it hangs up before I ever start booting Windows, most of the time I'm in the BIOS menu and it will still do it. I've checked the temps and it never goes above 40 C before it shuts off.
                          Originally posted by Alpha-Omega
                          Another little note about the shut-downs: Usually when I leave it for a while and start it up, it lasts longer than if it had just crashed by a large margin.
                          These two facts make it sound VERY like the gradual PSU failure I had just a little while ago in one of my boxes. That's exactly how it behaved. It eventually degenerated into a complete PSU failure, where trying to boot the machine got absolutely no response at all.

Comment

Something to add to that: Voltages might have proper RMS values, but there is also the possibilty that the signal is not clean (something you need an oscilliscope to check).

If by some chance that means nothing to you, a good power supply is like a tuning fork that produces a pure tone, while the bad power supply take that tone and pushes it through some serious distrotion. Cheaper supplies also tend to be like this.

Point- if all as fails, try a new, quality power supply even though the BIOS gives good vaues.
                            Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                            Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

40 C is rather hot... my own shuts off at that temp..

but also check compatibility with your Mobo and ram. sometimes tehy don't work

EX: Corsair RAM and some NVidia chipsets (don't know why, but that's what it says on the box...)
                              "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Working...
                              X