A creepy creature from Thief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A creepy creature from Thief

Ok, this might be vague, but I've had this question in my mind for a long time.

Some time ago, when I was playing Thief: The Dark Project, I saw this really creepy creature in the game. It was on this level where you have to go to this abandoned part of town that's infested with the undead (Haunter Cathedral or something like that). The one after the Sword mission. I was running from some zombies and climbed up on this rope that descended under the ground (sewers?) Then this human-sized cockroach-looking thing (that's what it looked like from above) appeared down in the hole. I freaked (Eep! Big insect!) and ran away. Never had the guts to go down there and look for the thing, I'd crap my pants if that thing would fill my whole screen. Besides, the Zombies and ghost-mages were already creeping me out enough.

What the heck was that monster down there?

If the same creature appears later in the game, I wouldn't know, since I haven't played it farther than the Fire elemental level (the one that re-appears in Thief II as the dig site).

Currently I haven't got Thief installed. And frankly, I still have nightmares from that game as I'm pursued by zombies in the mines under Cragscleft. In my records, Thief is still the creepiest game I know. It's made me more uneasy than even Alone in the Dark did in 1992. The fact that I consider these games scary has something to do with the fact that in both of these games the hero (or anti-hero) is very vulnerable and not a godlike supercreature.

That's what I love in the Thief games (and Thievery): The suspense. And that's one more reason why I haven't finished Thief. I'm actually scared that the game might lose it's magical creepiness, if I go back and examine it thoroughly.
    My cats are black! How about yours?

Craymen
    Appearance: They look like man-sized, humanoid crayfish. There are two varieties, the more common yellow crayman, and the rare blue crayman.
    Habitat: Subterranean. They live in caves away from human contact. The blue craymen are believed to have been formed by the Trickster, and are seen as part of his army of chaos.
    Threats: Craymen have sharp pincers on their forearms, which they can use like swords against enemies.
    Behavior: They have been seen both alone and in groups. They are generally hostile to other creatures.
    Numbers: They are relatively rare. A few yellow craymen were seen in the Old Quarter, with more in the caves beneath the City. The blue craymen were seen at the very end of Thief 1/Thief Gold as part of the Trickster's army. They are not seen in Thief 2.
    Notes: Like bugbeasts, they are too heavy for a person to carry around.
    References: Observations in various levels of Thief Gold.

Comment

Craymen appear in the lost city, too...

Comment

Welcome to Thief. Always good to see a new taffer face in town.
        Now I will turn you into a pin cushion! :twisted:

Just joking. If you think that Crayman was scary wait until you meet a real Haunt!

Small hint: dont feed them after mid-night. Er... wait... that's not how you handle a haunt... how you handle them is... OH! I remeber! Buy all the fire arrows you can get and when you are out of arrows...

RUN!!!
        Feel the power of the

Comment

Thanks for the answers, maybe I will someday return to the Haunted Cathedral (with the lights on ).

Haunts would be those skull-faced undead guards in red armor? Creepy, indeed.
          Actually, the biggest surprise with those I got in Thief II. I had already realized that there were no undead in Thief II (well, outside the few easter eggs). Then I was skulking around in the catacombs on the Eavesdropping map. Hide in shadow, as a guard passes by. I never saw the guard well. Blackjack him. To my horror, he makes this laugh beyond the grave and turns around and stares at me with his empty sockets! Gasp! They've come back for me!

Arrgh! Must.. fight.. urge.. to play Thief II through again!

Comment

Originally posted by Bucchus
            Thanks for the answers, maybe I will someday return to the Haunted Cathedral
            Oh yes you will if you want to finish Thief :twisted:
            Feel the power of the

Comment

If you really like creepy and scary foes, try Clive Barker's Undying.

Comment

I've been meaning to pick up Undying,gotta see if my game shop has it...

Comment

Amen, Bucchus. The craymen scare the crap outta me too. Especially when you accidentally land on one and it screams at you! Craymen and Hammer Haunts! Wooha! I hope Thief 3 scares me just as bad.
                  "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

i just finished playing thief 1 the haunted cathederal for the seond time, in err, three years cmon man, you gotta finish Thief1, it worth it let me see if i can find a picture of the creature you're talking about..., i will post it in a bit as soon as i figure out how to post images in the forums!

Funny thing, the same EXACT thing happened to me with the crypt hammer guard, i remmember screaming louder than i ever had before in front of my new brother in law, he had no clue and thought it was sycho
                    "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

Comment

I probably made a scream also, hard to remember... :grin:

Have to check out the Undying if I happen to bump into a cheap copy somewhere. But I always thought it was a basic FPS set in a horror theme, does it suffer from the way-too-powerful-main-character-to-be-scary-syndrome?

Also the fact that it's Clive Barker's hasn't drawn me to it. His books were not the kind of horror literature I like. On the contrary, that sort of name-tagging is usually for marketing purposes and hasn't got much to do with the actual writer.

Comment

Undying is alright, but it's much more of a typical horror game than Thief. Thief is much more terrifying in my opinion, perhaps mostly because of the incredible sound.

I remember getting all the talismans and simply refusing to open those cathedral doors. MAN that place had ambience. You didn't even have to see the enemies to be freaked out because the sound is so good. Brings back great memories
                        Predator
                        Black Cat Games Modeler
                        Black Cat Games
                        Nightblade
                        Thievery

Comment

Originally posted by Predator
                          Undying is alright, but it's much more of a typical horror game than Thief. Thief is much more terrifying in my opinion, perhaps mostly because of the incredible sound.
                          I think its because it plays on the mind a bit.... much like System Shock 2.
                          -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
                          - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
                          - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
                          -YT

Comment

Ah! here are some pics of a few scary creatures in thief :grin:

couldn't really find the one you were reffering to though

enjoy anyhow

"It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

Comment

Those trees! Gah! Gave me nightmares.
                              "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Working...
                              X