Howard Sterns been disconnected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard Sterns been disconnected

Media conglomerate Clear Channel--a Texas-based organization announced on Wednesday (2-25) that it had yanked Stern from its radio stations in Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando, FL; Rochester, NY; San Diego, CA; Pittsburgh, PA; and Louisville, KY.

"Freedom of speech"? "Innocent until proven guilty"? "The pursuit of happiness"? ... all out the window. What the hell is this country coming to? The Constitution must be a joke to some people...

Does anybody know when he might be coming back? i sure miss the show :?
    "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

I actually heard him on this morning. But yea, i think thats total bull crap, hes been on the air for years and now they want to do something about it? Its just like the smoking ban, theyre slowly taking our rights away and becoming more of a dictatorship, telling us what we can and can't do.

Comment

bah :x
      http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7360475
      -=:ToB:=- / :]eDe[: Site: www.endarkend.net
      -=:ToB:=-Forums: www.endarkend.net/phpbb/
      -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

Comment

Originally posted by Thief13x
        Media conglomerate Clear Channel--a Texas-based organization announced on Wednesday (2-25) that it had yanked Stern from its radio stations in Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando, FL; Rochester, NY; San Diego, CA; Pittsburgh, PA; and Louisville, KY.

"Freedom of speech"? "Innocent until proven guilty"? "The pursuit of happiness"? ... all out the window. What the hell is this country coming to? The Constitution must be a joke to some people...

Does anybody know when he might be coming back? i sure miss the show :?
        I don't exactly get it... Can you give me a link?

As for the smoking ban: You are polluting the air that _I_ breathe. And don't compare smoking to automobiles, as cars actually serve a useful purpose.

Not to mention, that here in Canada, for every 5$ you spend on a pack of cigarettes, 10$ out of MY tax money will go to pay for your health when you will be wheezing away in a life-support machine.

If you don't get treatment for it, and you smoke in your own home, that's bloody fine by me. Poison yourself all you want, but don't make ME pay for your DECISIONS.

Also, I'd be more worried about things like the Patriot Act, then clamping down on crime/banning activities like smoking.

Comment

Use a horse and carriage, Swiss. They may not be as fast, but at least they don't pollute as much. Ride a bike. Walk. In other words, stop being so fucking lazy.

I'm not bitvhing at your or anything, it's just that it annoys me that people have the nerve to whine about pollution when they do it just as much as anyone else. Leave the damn smokers alone.
          Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
          "Dream is Destiny"
          Waking Life

Comment

In general I leave them alone, but bloody hell noone is gonna come and smoke in my house. It stinks.
            JM

Comment

What does Clear Channel Communications droppping Howard Stern have to do with a ban on smoking?

Also, what rights have we lost if a privately controlled business decides to take a show off the air? Have they said it is due to government pressure to limit free speech or something? Have they given any reason whatsoever as to why they are taking it off the air?

I personally don't care a lot for the subject matter of the HS show, as it generally appeals to the lowest common denominator of the human race, but he is much easier to listen to than some other syndicated morning radio shows. If that's what people want, give it to them.
              No Linux, No Choice.
              Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

they're taking him off the air in part because the FCC is cracking down on indecency on the air. This is where the problem lies. the FCC is a government entity, an appointed (not elected) committee, run by a man put into his office because he's Colin Powell's son. And THEY'RE cracking down on indecency. If Stern wasn't pulled from the air by Clear Channel you better believe that the FCC would have slapped them with a multi-million dollar fine because of him.

While on some level I think some censorship for the sake of good-taste is OK, I think it's disgraceful that while the FCC is all up-in-arms about things like Howard Stern and Janet Jackson's tit, other stations and shows get away with doing much worse. Granted, at the rate this is going, those will go away soon, too.

Then what? Back to pirate radio. And I'll be one happy sumbich. Still, the FCC is balls.
                I'm not so bad... Once you get to know me.

Comment

Thank you Leatherman for stating the obvious. I was about to say the same thing. The US is not stifiling secrets or anything, it's private business that's protecting its assets.

Its protecting its assets because the FCC has recently decided to crack down on "indecent" public broadcast. This movement is similar to the TV ratings (TV-PG, etc). The FCC is not stifiling freedom of speech, it's thinning the crap coming through the airwaves.

(The US government has to intervene again because Americans won't. Indirectly, this is why the government keeps getting bigger: because American's won't take the civic responsibilities into their own hands, but that's a whole other rant/topic.)
                  "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Janet Jacket was the final point, yeah. But it's been culminating to this point for decades. I'm starting to hear swear words on TV not bleeped out and more programmed nudity creeping into "regular" channels.
                    "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary
                      Not to mention, that here in Canada, for every 5$ you spend on a pack of cigarettes, 10$ out of MY tax money will go to pay for your health when you will be wheezing away in a life-support machine.
                      Ha. Here in the UK when some dumbass smoker buys a pack of cigarettes they're paying tax on it.... tax I dont have to pay, hence lower taxes for non-smokers. This kind of makes up for it since they're literally paying for thier own lung transplants later in life.
                      -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
                      - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
                      - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
                      -YT

Comment

Originally posted by Thief13x
                        Freedom of speech is not at issue here. Stern has the right to say whatever he wants. No one is stopping him from that. Nowhere, however, are you guaranteed the right to be heard.

Innocence until guilt is proven is also not at issue. No one has charged Stern with a crime (on this matter, anyway). He's been pulled off the air by a private business that feels it's not cost effective to keep him on the air.

Pursuit of happiness? Leaving aside the fact that this is NOT constitutionally guaranteed in this country (it's only referred to in the Declaration of Independence, which is not a legal document), no one is infringing on anyone's right to pursue happiness, if such a right were even to exist.

Comment

I hear ya LR. The Patriot Act that Swiss mentioned though makes me nervous about the direction that the country seems to be heading down. It makes me a little uneasy where all somebody has to do is even suspect you doing terrorist activity and that gives the government all the rights to go into your house and take you away without investigation or a permit! Soon I can see other laws adding to that, where simple game piracy will allow corporations to come and arrest you if they wanted or maybe the government adds to it to where if they think you might need to disappear completely for reasons they deem viable. Note if this somehow happens it would just be making it legal, not that they don't do that already. If it gets to that point I'll be in line to leave the country.
                          "He said he didn't trust me, so I killed him."--Hidden_Wolfe

Comment

What LR said.
                            Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
                            www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Thwark
                              they're taking him off the air in part because the FCC is cracking down on indecency on the air.

<SNIP>
                              Thanks for clearing that up.
                              No Linux, No Choice.
                              Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X