Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal Engine 3 news =)

http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=21751

Came across this link, thought many of you would be interested in reading. One thing I did notice was:

Originally posted by UE3
    UnrealEngine3 is targeted at high-end DirectX9 and future GPU's and next-generation game consoles, and our focus is on absolutely realistic per-pixel lighting, with 100% dynamic shadowing everywhere, including new technology for soft dynamic shadows.
    Looks like Dynamic lighting shall return!
    Shhhweeeet! better start saving up for a PC upgrade!

Sounds good. Shame there's no screenies yet. There were a couple of interview with Tim Sweeney out a while back where he talked about his dynamic soft shadowing.. he also said it would be about 2 years before a game using it was out.

Comment

There's some cool new technology coming in the relatively near future.
      Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

O definatly, I got this game on a demo CD called "PainKiller" with this awsome engine, for what it is it runs SO UNBELIEVEBLY smooth, you have to see it to believe it, and when I think about games like "IGI 2" and "X2 : The Threat" games of significantly lower graphical quality and which run WORSE than this?!!? These are the developers I love, the ones who spend time and effort optimising an engine, like the first UT, Quake III , good solid engines... I can count the number of times Quake III has crashed on ANY system config I've played it on, on... um, this hand here, yes, the one where I bit off the fingers.

Graphicly we should be treated in the next few years, gameplay wise... I'm not sure... has everything been done now? Or will we just see more of what we allready have with nicer gfx?
        ~TuF~

Comment

Hey, don't diss IGI 2, it's a first-person sneaker!

Well, okay, diss it. It sucked.

Comment

Clearly the focus has shifted towards improving looks rather than making innovative gameplay. I cant think of any new OMG-NEW-CHEESY-FX-Game of the near past which i didnt breeze thru within a week. Max Payne 2, Splinter Cell, Unreal 2, Deus Ex 2...etc...cool graphics but already getting dusty piled up in a corner...the last game i can think of which had amazing graphics AND good gameplay was Gothic II. Im really watching for what im spending my gaming buck lately, if im buying games at all. Back in '92 at the SNES-Highdays or '98 when the PSX was big (or sometime around then ^^) i bought 2-3 Games a month...nowadays its roughly one in 2-3 months. Last new game i bought is UT2004 (and it IS good =P ), and before that mostly Budget Retro stuff (like Thief Gold for 1,50 Euros at Ebay...if i could i would demand 50 Cent back from LGS - Thieves Guild sux >=D ).

THE GAMING INDUSTRY IS DOOMED I TELL YA! DOOOOMED!!!!! (UARG!)
            My leet Thievery Map
            My leet UT3 Map
            My leet AS Map

Comment

The gaming industry isn't doomed. It'll be here for a looong time. And I even see it possibly gaining such status as Hollywood. What will games be like 50 years from now? Virtual reality, fully interactive movies probably, with a production equal to movies. And like movies, many will suck, few will shine.

Dalai, stills won't say much. An artist could create a phenominal scene with 60 million polygons but has a fps of 0.003. :lol:

Any plans for Quake4? I'm no guru here, but were any game's based on the engine of Quake3? When it came out, it looked like direct competition for the Unreal engine. The Unreal engine was licensed out to dozens of games, whereas I'm not sure if anyone used the Quake3 engine.
              "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Also, I have mixed feelings about licencing engines. If everyone uses Unreal engines, there's little variety. I kinda miss the days of the mid-90's where everyone made their own and every game engine had it's good points and bad points.

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
                  The Unreal engine was licensed out to dozens of games, whereas I'm not sure if anyone used the Quake3 engine.
                  Jedi Outcast, Jedi Acadamy, Soldier of Fortune 1 + 2, there are more...
                  ~TuF~

Comment

Ah! Thanks, Mach. Never played those games, so I guess that's why I never recognized them.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMachine
                      Jedi Outcast, Jedi Acadamy, Soldier of Fortune 1 + 2, there are more...
                      I thought the Jedi games were Quake 2 engine games?

Comment

Quake 3 as far as I know, I may be wrong tho.
                        ~TuF~

Comment

...I'm not sure if anyone used the Quake3 engine.
                          Some popular, recent games that have used the "Quake 3" engine (or modified version of it):
                          • "Call of Duty"
                          • "Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast"
                          • "Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy"
                          • "Medal of Honor: Allied Assault"
                          • "Return to Castle Wolfenstein"
                          • "Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory"
                          • "Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix"
                          • "Star Trek: Elite Force II"

"Soldier of Fortune", used "Quake 2" as its engine, not Q3. "Half-Life" used some of "Quake" and "Qauke 2".

Here is a link to another forum where someone listed almost a complete list of games using one of the various "Unreal" engines.

*EDITED*
                          Corrected/added some information.
                          Team ORJ

Comment

Any plans for Quake4?
                            Would not expect it. DoomIII (and its engine) is heir apparent from what I have seen.
                            Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                            Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Originally posted by Thebos
                              Any plans for Quake4?
                              Would not expect it. DoomIII (and its engine) is heir apparent from what I have seen.
                              RUMOR ALERT:
                              Raven Software has been working on "Quake IV" for sometime.
                              Team ORJ

Comment

Working...
                              X