Disk Defrag won't finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk Defrag won't finish

Okay, i try to defrag my hard drive after doing a scandisk, and after about a half hour, it comes up with an error saying "Disk defrag must keep restarting because somthing is wrighting to the hard disk". I went into msconfig and unchecked EVERYTHING, and it still does it. Does anyone know why? there is nothing running in my system tray and it still won't finish :x haxware maybe?
    "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

Hmm sorry I have no idea...
    but did you google first? Making a thread is maybe the easiest way, but well...
    I guess there are wonderful forums for these special problems!
    "Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Comment

if you don't mind being called a noob, but want answers quick, go to

www.genmay.org

look past all the sick stuff, and keep an eye on your thread. It oughta go into compuglobalhypermeganet, and youll get your answer within 5 minutes!
      "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Did you first run Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad Aware? I had a similar problem once, and running Spybot fixed it for me.
        You can check out anytime you like, but you can NEVER leave.

Comment

yes.. reminds me..

does anyone else get a glitch with spybot that disallows it to run? luckily my firewall is also a sbybot search and destroy, but i trust S+D more. Unfortunately, it closes after i open it.
          "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
            Hmm sorry I have no idea...
            but did you google first?
            GOOGLE?! what the hell man, you had me, Mach and Chains laughing our faces off for 5 minutes at least!! :lol:

Try booting up in safemode, de-activate your screensaver and any other program, like virus scans or whatever, and then try.... and DONT TRY AND PLAY TUT WHILST ITS DEFRAGGING!!
            -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
            - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
            - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
            -YT

Comment

Originally posted by FixXxeR
              GOOGLE?! what the hell man, you had me, Mach and Chains laughing our faces off for 5 minutes at least!!
              o.O funny eh?
              "Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Comment

Run scandisk first, while booting up and in windows.
                The only constant is change.
                (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Are defragging the OS partition? I forget details of what is going on to describe the workaround, but that will result in what your are seeing. As I recall though, it is the Defrag program that is causing the problem. Seem to remember something about having your swap file on a seperate partition being a solution (though that may have cured something entirely different).

Would recommend trying a third-party defrag utility.
                  Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                  Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

If it still doesn't work after you tried what FixXxer said, try this:
                    Download a freeware program called EndItAll 2. You can use it to kill just about any process. Sometimes my defragging gets interrupted in the same way, and if I view the processes by pressing ctrl-alt-del it won't show anything special there. EndItAll 2 works deeper. Don't know how it works with XP though (I have 98 SE).

The link: http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/enditall/

Maybe you should disable power-saving functions also, if they're kicking in later they might interrupt something.
                    My cats are black! How about yours?

Comment

Originally posted by Bucchus
                      Download a freeware program called EndItAll 2.
                      Isn't that just a pistol and a single hollowpoint?

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                        Originally posted by Bucchus
                        Download a freeware program called EndItAll 2.
                        Isn't that just a pistol and a single hollowpoint?
                        If you really want to be sure: double barreled sawed off shotgun oughta do the
                        trick!

Comment

If I want to show my Thievery fanaticism to the end, I'll just jump off a very high building, thank you
                          My cats are black! How about yours?

Comment

All you have to do is press CTRL+ALT+DEL, and then in task manager shut down every process you can.

Win9X: Close EVERYTHING except "explorer" and "systray".

WinXP: Close everything it will let you, except "explorer".

This should kill whatever process was writing to the disk, and allow defrag to finish.

Comment

Geez Timmy you are having a lot of computer problems! Just FORMAT IT ALL!

Comment

Working...
                              X