Hackers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hackers....

First of all sorry for the spam but this is still the best forum I know despite the ocasional fighting and spaming. Feel free to lock or ignore this post. I just needed to vent my frustration and carry on.

I am taking part of a long term amateur project to make a game.
    As if it wasnt enough not having enough people and not enough time to make what makes a game be a game (engine, 3d models, etc) the best thing we had to show, our site has been hacked.

The sucker broke into the backend and made the most idiotic message I had ever seen in russian. (Geezz, foreign spam, thx a lot). We simply deleted the message and hoped that it was a prank.

But he came back. Next day he hacked another backend password. He still wrote in russian but this time he actually left a legible message ("Full of lamers" he wrote).
    Our webmaster who had spent so much time building that site (it was only a month old site ffs) deleted the backend and made a post telling the hacker to go away and that he wasnt much of hacker since he only had broke into a part of the programm.

Today he replaced the site. He changed the pw to access the host itself and told us that he could do even more. So now we have to relocate all the stuff we had on our FTP because I fear he can delete all the stuff or fill it with trojans.

Personally I dont care who that... "thing" is or what were his motivations. He obviously spends too much time on a cellar in front of a computer.
    But what enrages me more is that this kind of people (which I do not consider humans) seem to have a legion of fans AND SOME EVEN GET WELL PAID JOBS AT SECURITY COMPANIES!
    I feel frustrated, I spent more than 16 years studying hard, 6 of those years I had to PAY for those studies. How can I feel motivated to study or work when these things that never get out and dont give at damm to classes get hilarious senteces in court and end up earning buckets of cash because they comited a crime?
    I wonder... maybe we should put bank robbers guarding banks. Maybe we should have Sadam Hussein hunting Bin Laden. It makes me mad.

Ok I vented all my frustration now. You can lock this lame piece of post if you want BA.
    Feel the power of the

Apple hire hackers to break into thier own OS. Its the best way to find holes, so they're worth something.
    -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
    - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
    - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -YT

Comment

Oh I don't know Antero, if I close it, you'll be mad at me, if I don't close it, you'll be mad at me. Either way, I can't win with you.

Comment

Sorry to hear that brother.

It's too bad that the nice, open, and free nature of the internet will have to be locked down like a maximun security prision because of jerkoffs like the clown who hacked your site.

That being said, there is no excuse to have an open web server like that. A simple hardware firewall for less than $80.00 will protect you in a very solid way; furthermore, you should always have a back up.

I know the lecture isn't appreciated, however, as long as we are in a world full of losers like the Russian who hacked you the decent people of the world will have to protect themselves.
        "A gerbil is a rodent, wretched creature and quite possibly represents yourself there unclean vile obsolete weak and live happily in there and others filth, they have caused plague and death to humans and nearly wiped us out" - industrialism

Comment

Sorry to hear that.

What's your sites address?

Comment

I think your system has problems if a hacker can do that much damage. Patch up the holes and be done with it.

The bank robber analogy is a bad one. Bank robbers just know how to wave guns. A guard has to know how to guard, aim, and do kung-fu

A better example is the movie Catch Me If You Can. Yeah, they didn't trust the frauder for a while, but he earned their trust. Also, if you pay the bad guy a really good salary it's worth his while to behave.

Please don't take this as a personal attack. Not sure what you studied for 16 years, but some people have exceptional tallent and can become one of the best in just a few years. I'm sure envious of people with more tallent than I (in programming, artistry, piano playing, organizational skills, etc, you name it). They could run circles around me if we ever came head to head. This hacker is probably just a teen prodigy. And companies should hire people like that and get them out of the wreckless streets and directing their tallent to more productive means. I personally would feel safer knowing my network admin was an ex-hacker. If he wasn't, all he's got is foo-foo ivy-league credentials, not street-cred.
            "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
              I think your system has problems if a hacker can do that much damage. Patch up the holes and be done with it.

The bank robber analogy is a bad one. Bank robbers just know how to wave guns. A guard has to know how to guard, aim, and do kung-fu
              Are you saying guards must be more skilled than thieves to hold their own?

"A gerbil is a rodent, wretched creature and quite possibly represents yourself there unclean vile obsolete weak and live happily in there and others filth, they have caused plague and death to humans and nearly wiped us out" - industrialism

Comment

It's probably just some script kiddie who got his hands on some new tools. Not all hackers are like that you know? Most hackers just skim over sites and crack them for the joy of it... they rarely do damage like that asshole did.

DUn h8 h4xxor pls?

Comment

Anyway, what kind ot "tools" are you guys using over at that site?

Comment

Well obviously you backed up your site...right? RIGHT?!! O_O
                    That's no hacker man! That's a CRACKER! I say trace his IP and get the feddies on him!

Comment

Originally posted by okih-imus
                      I say trace his IP and get the feddies on him!
                      If he's in Russia? He's probably paid off law enforcement. Hell, he probably has a license for it.

Comment

Hire hackers and hack him! Write a virus and make it so the people with it constantly ping him! Mehhehehehhehehhe!

Comment

Buho, im not against naturally gifted people, im just against people who use their skills to do bad stuff if tehy want atention they maybe they could try not breaking into people's sites. I dont quite see how a hacker fits the same group of a talented piano player. Most of these guys continue to hack until they are caught, and since they will basically be marked for life they really dont have much choice IMO.

Mode2. He is using a PHP backend. If you want more details or help PM me, its not really my area of the project. And the site is hosted on a remote server so no damage done locally.

Aparently we got an IP but the webmaster says we cant do s***t with it and im not going to reveal it.
                          Feel the power of the

Comment

Originally posted by Antero90
                            Buho, im not against naturally gifted people, im just against people who use their skills to do bad stuff if tehy want atention they maybe they could try not breaking into people's sites.
                            Chances are the scum who broke into your site aren't terribly gifted -- while compromising a system can take skill, most people who are good at it have half a clue, and better ways to spend their time. Likely some lame teenager downloaded a hacking script and was simply trying to be cool by taking advantage of a poorly secured system. There's little skill involved in that.
                            Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                              If he's in Russia? He's probably paid off law enforcement. Hell, he probably has a license for it.
                              You were right, up until the word "enforcement".

Comment

Working...
                              X