X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *lights a torch*

DID YOU KNOW?

As you walk up the steps to the building which houses the U.S. Supreme Court you can see near the top of the building a row of the world's law givers and each one is facing one in the middle who is facing forward with a full frontal view - it is Moses and he is holding the Ten Commandments!

DID YOU KNOW?

As you enter the Supreme Court courtroom, the two huge oak doors have the Ten Commandments engraved on each lower portion of each door.

DID YOU KNOW?

As you sit inside the courtroom, you can see the wall, right above where the Supreme Court judges sit, a display of the Ten Commandments!

DID YOU KNOW?

There are Bible verses etched in stone all over the Federal Buildings and Monuments in Washington, D.C.

DID YOU KNOW?

James Madison, the fourth president, known as "The Father of Our Constitution" made the following statement "We have staked the whole of all our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God."

DID YOU KNOW?

Patrick Henry, that patriot and Founding Father of our country said, "It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded not by religionists but by Christians, not on religions but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ".

DID YOU KNOW?

Every session of Congress begins with a prayer by a paid preacher, whose salary has been paid by the taxpayer since 1777.

DID YOU KNOW?

Fifty-two of the 55 founders of the Constitution were members of the established orthodox churches in the colonies.

DID YOU KNOW?

Thomas Jefferson worried that the Courts would overstep their authority and instead of interpreting the law would begin making law....an oligarchy....the rule of few over many.

DID YOU KNOW?

The very first Supreme Court Justice, John Jay, said, "Americans should select and prefer Christians as their rulers."

How, then, have we gotten to the point that everything we have done for
    220 years in this country is now suddenly wrong and unconstitutional?

The idea that the Ten Commandments or a nativity scene on a court house lawn is a violation of civil rights or a violation of the seperation of church and state is utter nonsense and completely divorced from 200 years of reality. In the end, it isn't the removal of these things that worries me, truth exists outside of who believes it, rather, it is the attitude that finds it necessary to remove these things that really concerns me.

I'm not one that panics over these things. Words carved on wood are meaningless if not in the hearts of the people, although the laws and attitudes that are created to effect the removal of these things are very real.

It is the nature of a democracy to have these sorts of debates. What bothers me, is the idea that people don't realize that the absence of religion is a religion in itself. Secularism is a harsh task master and can be every bit as oppressive as the Spanish Inquisition was. Is the Church of Secularism ever going to be reigned in here or is it going to be allowed to erase 200 years of our history in the interests of establishing itself as our new faith?
    "A gerbil is a rodent, wretched creature and quite possibly represents yourself there unclean vile obsolete weak and live happily in there and others filth, they have caused plague and death to humans and nearly wiped us out" - industrialism

yes
    yes
    yes
    yes
    no
    no
    yes
    no
    no
    no

the other questions were too hard for me
    This is my cool sig.

Comment

Originally posted by daniel
      yes
      yes
      yes
      yes
      no
      no
      yes
      no
      no
      no

the other questions were too hard for me
      Hahahha!
      He took it like a quiz.
      Perfect response.

*puts a star on daniel's paper*

"A gerbil is a rodent, wretched creature and quite possibly represents yourself there unclean vile obsolete weak and live happily in there and others filth, they have caused plague and death to humans and nearly wiped us out" - industrialism

Comment

Sorry man, but the church and state should be seperated, otherwise members of the society in question who do not conform to the religion in question are going to suffer for it. You're biased because you're a christian living in a predominantly christian country, but think how a Muslim living in the states feels every time Bush bangs on about his beliefs.

Comment

What bothers me is not so much the presence of the christian passages as the fact that the very people who rant and rave about how they SHOULD be there are the same people who would fight to the death over a proposal that, say, a passage from any of the sutras, the Baghavad Gita, the Talmud, the Koran, or any holy text other than the bible be put up.

How would YOU react to that, Gerb?

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
            What bothers me is not so much the presence of the christian passages as the fact that the very people who rant and rave about how they SHOULD be there are the same people who would fight to the death over a proposal that, say, a passage from any of the sutras, the Baghavad Gita, the Talmud, the Koran, or any holy text other than the bible be put up.

How would YOU react to that, Gerb?
            If I went to a state founded by Muslims escaping persecution for their faith I would expect to see such things.

As for the USA, I might feel uncomfortable about it, but it wouldn't violate the Constitution. There are many things that don't violate the Consitution that occur every day that I'm uncomfortable with and I live with it. It's called tolerance.

Comment

Originally posted by !MegaDude!
              Sorry man, but the church and state should be seperated, otherwise members of the society in question who do not conform to the religion in question are going to suffer for it. You're biased because you're a christian living in a predominantly christian country, but think how a Muslim living in the states feels every time Bush bangs on about his beliefs.
              The Constitution doesn't protect us from feeling uncomfortable.

Your definition of seperation of church and state is clearly quite different that that of the founding fathers. That is my only point here. The cries that it is unconstitutional for the 10 commandments to be displayed in a courthouse is utter nonsense and has nothing whatsover to do with the Constitution and the intent of the founders of this country.

If you want them removed, have the integrity to do it by methods other than distorting the intent of the Constitution.

Comment

I know it's controversial, but have you considered that your "founding fathers" could have gotten it wrong? Or that what was right then may not be right now? Considering the number of amendments that have been made to their constitution you'd think its fallibility would be something most Americans would be aware of, but instead you all seem to think it's perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by !MegaDude!
                  I know it's controversial, but have you considered that your "founding fathers" could have gotten it wrong? Or that what was right then may not be right now? Considering the number of amendments that have been made to their constitution you'd think its fallibility would be something most Americans would be aware of, but instead you all seem to think it's perfect!
                  The founding fathers didn't think it was perfect or they wouldn't have provided the ability to add amendments in the first place. I don't know a single American that thinks it is perfect, if you know any, introduce us.

Again, my point is the intent of the founding fathers and the Constitutional definition of seperation of church and state. If somebody wants to amend the Constitution or redefine terms -- that happens, it is part of the process. However, in this instance they are babbling on about a type of seperation entirely foriegn to the Founding Fathers and the documents they produced.

I'm not just saying that, the very foundation of our freedom was seen as "Endowed by our Creator" and it show up in our monuments and carved on the doors of our highest court. Maybe before we throw everything up in the air and change is all, maybe, just maybe a few people might want to re-think their twisted definition of 'seperation of church and state'.

Instead of redefining the term, how about coming up with your own term and arguing from the Contitutional term to the new understanding instead of pretending the new definition is what the Founding Fathers meant all along? Same thing is happening with 'marriage', a human institution as old as the sun conveniently redefined on the spot instead of being properly contemplated. It wasn't enough to get 'civil unions', oh no, it had to be called 'marriage'.

Somebody wanna change seperation of church and state, fine. But do it by an amendment instead of merely distorting the original and clear intent of documents already in place.

Comment

What exactly was the point of this thread anyway?
                    Black Cat Games
                    ThieveryUT
                    Alien Swarm

Comment

Working...
                    X