And a thief is born!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And a thief is born!

Well, I was looking around at www.howstuffworks.com and there on the front page was a thing on cracking safes.

It sparked some thought, and I looked up lockpicking. Reading about keys and how lockpicking is done, I decided to try it out on a "Master" lock* I've had laying in a box around here.

I took a Leatherman multipurpose tool, and pulled out the flat screwdriver. Grabbed a paperclip and bent it a little at the end. Then, I kept tension on the lock with the screwdriver and jiggled the paper clip in. After about 5 minutes I had it open! I was amazed.

I highly doubt I'll be using this for any illegal activities...I don't even like pirating digital stuff. However, it was quite fun...maybe I'll try it on my own door.

Now to get my OTHER lock with the number dial, read the safe-cracking thing, and try that out.

*Master locks are a standard lock you can buy at pretty much any hardware store. A sturdy lock, like you might see on an tool shed or something.
    Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
    www.usyetzer.com

THIEF HERE! I need assistance!!

Comment

I made a set of pretty crude picks from high-tensile wire.

http://www.gregmiller.net/locks/mitguide/chapter1.html

is a far better guide than the howstuffworks one.

If you have access to a grinding wheel or blow torch try making some of your own. It only takes a few minutes to flatten and cut the wires to shape and they work pretty effectively. They tend to break when you're trying to turn big arse rusty locks though...

Comment

You know that from experience, Yenz?

Lets hear some of your lockpicking stories, guys! I know Yenz and I arn't the only ones to try this. We all know Pred has LP's!
        Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
        www.usyetzer.com

Comment

I had to stop picking locks because it annoyed my friends that they didn't have to buzz me through their security doors when I came to their place.

Comment

http://jowag.szm.sk/pick/pick.zip

Comment

w00t

Comment

Not enough locks to pick around here.

Everyone uses ABLOY, which is... well... not pickable by normal means. And tumbler locks? Almost unheard of.
                Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

Those ABLOY things are interesting...

Comment

I don't want to damage any locks by tampering with them... And if I need to get back inside my house without a key... well, that's what the number-keypad on the TH-Garage is for.

Comment

Deftones

Comment

PANCAKE!
                        Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

i know how to pick locks the real way
                          .: Infiltrator - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

www.youtube.com/user/Richard413

Comment

Seemann...wtf?

Comment

Cliff yelled at Daniel for something like that, except it was a cow!

Comment

Working...
                              X