Horray! A PC- Problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horray! A PC- Problem!

Err well. I got some files i want to get rid of, but i cant delete them coz it always sez theyre used by another program - and i dont know which for crissakes. I think something similar was discussed here a short while ago, something about a program to terminate all running processes so those "Zombie"-files can be removed. Cant find the Post though =(. HAIULP!
    My leet Thievery Map
    My leet UT3 Map
    My leet AS Map

- Boot up and go to the command line directly (f8 on startup)

- find the directory with the files i.e cd\windows

- Delete files there (i.e del *.tmp)
    ~TuF~

Comment

Goofy Windows XP....

Check this page and scroll down to the section "Delete - Permission Denied When Trying to Delete Folders/Files".
      No Linux, No Choice.
      Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Fdisk - the solution to all your computer problems.

Comment

Nah LR, removing Command.com from your boot up drive is the way forward :-p
          ~TuF~

Comment

I get the impression you guys are enjoying this :grin:

None of that stuff helped so far but ill keep trying.
            My leet Thievery Map
            My leet UT3 Map
            My leet AS Map

Comment

Schleicher, I assume you mean that thread about defragging? Here's the link to the same task-killling program I advertised there: http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/enditall/
              My cats are black! How about yours?

Comment

I think he mean like...
                If you are in WinXP and you go into a folder. Then you delete the contents of the folder. Then you try to delete the folder, XP won't allow you to do so until you reboot. I had that problem and it really ticked me off! I'm using Win98SE now.

Comment

You are probably running into some spyware type programs that are running in the background in memory. If on XP/2000/NT Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up the Task Manager, switch to processes and if you dont know which application is the suspect, then you need to "End process" on all programs running under your windows username except for Explorer.exe (thats windows). Files running under the name "System" are usually files you can't end, but that shouldn't be a problem as it is extremely rare to find a haxxor file running as System. So after you shut it all down, then try deleting the files, if that still doesnt work, boot up to DOS on a WinME boot disk, and cd to that directory where the files are and do a "del filename.ext" that should solve your problem.

If running Win95/98/ME then its slightly similar with the CTRL-ALT-DEL thing, but its not as useful as the XP one, You should be able to do the same thing with End Process, (all but explorer and maybe Systray) and see if it deletes.

Comment

okih,
                    That's how it should work like you said. Don't know if EndItAll2 works for this kind of problem, but it might.

Hannu beat me to the spyware suggestion, but I'd like to add that some malware programs are hidden and do not show up correctly in the task manager (at least in Win98)

Comment

Originally posted by Bucchus
                      okih,
                      That's how it should work like you said. Don't know if EndItAll2 works for this kind of problem, but it might.

Hannu beat me to the spyware suggestion, but I'd like to add that some malware programs are hidden and do not show up correctly in the task manager (at least in Win98)
                      yep, thats one of the nice things about the NT/2000/XP side of windows, that task manager ownz all

Comment

Agreed.
                        The first End It All wasn't much different from the usual Win98 task manager, it could close only those processes which you could also see by ctrl-alt-delling.
                        End It All 2 is more like the XP task manager, showing more processes than just Systray and Explorer.

Comment

Seems Hannu knows alot of tricks. :wink:
                          -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
                          - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
                          - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
                          -YT

Comment

Closing all running processes with the taskmanager did the trick. Those darned files were linked to System processes indeed. I had the idea of looking at the taskmanager before, didnt dare to close some stuff i dont know though - the PC forced a reboot with some one minute timer but meanwhile i was able to delete that shit. In chase if you wonder what it was : a broken patch.exe, and some rar.archives. Hm what the hell. I hate computars.
                            My leet Thievery Map
                            My leet UT3 Map
                            My leet AS Map

Comment

Originally posted by Schleicher
                              the PC forced a reboot with some one minute timer
                              Now that sounds like MSBlaster
                              In the Future, One Duck Is The Law.

Comment

Working...
                              X