It's done.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's done.

I've been wrangling with Ued for the past few weeks and I built my own little thievery map (TH-Sheriff). It's given me a lot of headaches and I was glad to get it done, so I doubt I'll be making any big changes to it.

It's probably best for about 4-6 players. There's a medium sized house about the size of the one in bourgueios, and thieves need to get 500 loot.

Anyway, you can get it at my homepage here: -

http://www.geocities.com/darkmist787

It's small in size (about 1.26 mb). I haven't added any pathnodes for the AI yet, so it's not much of a challenge on single player. I'll add some screenshots as soon as I can.

:swordthi:

edit: made some minor changes. realised some furniture wasn't blocking the player.

Not bad for a first map man imho
    ZT

Comment

It is indeed a good start - you've got the hang of the basics well. The next step is adding polish, which is mostly a matter of experience and learning how to create a believable environment - the best way to do this is to look around the other Thievery maps in UEd and see how everyone else has done it.

The only thing that stood out as a glaring problem, for me, was the lighting. Lighting can be a very difficult thing to get right in a Thievery map, but there's one rule of thumb that should always be obeyed - high brightness, low radius. That is, it's better to have a dozen lights with high brightness and low radius than one big high radius light. Also, you should avoid using too many effects on your lights - torch wavers look neat, but they -kill- framerates unless carefully controlled.

If you want any more pointers, ask me or any other mapper, or check out the many threads in the mapping forum for advice.
      Mordengaard - Tester/Mapper/Voice Actor/Nitpick/Coder

"Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."
      :: Howard Scott

Comment

The fact that Mordengaard didn't slaugther your map... Is a good sign!

Comment

Hehehe, well, Mordination was put on standby, since it's his first and it's really not that bad.
          Mordengaard - Tester/Mapper/Voice Actor/Nitpick/Coder

"Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."
          :: Howard Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Mordengaard
            .... since it's his first ....
            That didn't stop you from making other mappers cry when they released their first map :roll:
            On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll try and improve the lighting for v1.1, as well polishing it up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by PhaeThorn
                Originally posted by Mordengaard
                .... since it's his first ....
                That didn't stop you from making other mappers cry when they released their first map :roll:
                Because their map was bad. :roll:

Comment

I have some ideas for a few maps, I just need to learn how editor works now. :?
                  "He said he didn't trust me, so I killed him."--Hidden_Wolfe

Comment

Originally posted by Hidden_Wolfe
                    I have some ideas for a few maps, I just need to learn how editor works now. :?
                    Well hell, that's the easy part!

Comment

Dont have quite time to dl and play it right now, so plz give us some screenz0rs! I wanna see it!

(remember the Black-Cat Community Server ^^)
                      My leet Thievery Map
                      My leet UT3 Map
                      My leet AS Map

Comment

Originally posted by Schleicher
                        Dont have quite time to dl and play it right now, so plz give us some screenz0rs! I wanna see it!

(remember the Black-Cat Community Server ^^)
                        Ok, I'll try to get a few good screenshots of the old map. I'm working on making the lighting a lot better and improving various things. I'll post in this thread when I have made a better map.

edit: ok, you can view the screens on my website.

Comment

Hi Claymore - I had a quick play of the map and I thought I'd post some of my opinions (feel free to ignore any/all):

- No bolts for guards
                          - Rooms are too sparse - would you live in a house like this
                          - Ai don't chase well
                          - You die too close to the fire even though there is a fireguard. My personal preference would be getting set on fire like a firebolt.
                          - Permanent lights not on
                          - Not enough lighting
                          - Apparent ambient light is too bright in the house given that the light gem says I am in pitch black (try comparing to dark areas in other maps perhaps)
                          - Do the koed ai respawn in the kitchen (could be my mistake)?
                          - The wooden beam that sticks out from the barracks has a metal texture on its end
                          - The beam also is unrealistic (IMO) and isn't needed for either getting onto barracks roof or for jumping (use a speed potion) onto the house roof.
                          - Consider having a map picture/s for the TUT console where you choose the map
                          - A wine bottle is floating in mid-air in the barracks
                          - There is a texture gap in the NE corner of the barracks where a tree meets the building (may be unrelated). Look up at the line angle from below to see the sky through the barracks wall.

Feel free to disregard any/all of these suggestions and good luck with mapping (I had a novel idea and tried briefly but gave up because it was too hard ).
                          Night of the Werewolves II
                          HarryPotterwars
                          A Thief's Guide to Thievery for UT (video not complete yet)

Comment

Originally posted by Convict
                            Hi Claymore - I had a quick play of the map and I thought I'd post some of my opinions (feel free to ignore any/all):

- No bolts for guards
                            - Rooms are too sparse - would you live in a house like this
                            - Ai don't chase well
                            - You die too close to the fire even though there is a fireguard. My personal preference would be getting set on fire like a firebolt.
                            - Permanent lights not on
                            - Not enough lighting
                            - Apparent ambient light is too bright in the house given that the light gem says I am in pitch black (try comparing to dark areas in other maps perhaps)
                            - Do the koed ai respawn in the kitchen (could be my mistake)?
                            - The wooden beam that sticks out from the barracks has a metal texture on its end
                            - The beam also is unrealistic (IMO) and isn't needed for either getting onto barracks roof or for jumping (use a speed potion) onto the house roof.
                            - Consider having a map picture/s for the TUT console where you choose the map
                            - A wine bottle is floating in mid-air in the barracks
                            - There is a texture gap in the NE corner of the barracks where a tree meets the building (may be unrelated). Look up at the line angle from below to see the sky through the barracks wall.

Feel free to disregard any/all of these suggestions and good luck with mapping (I had a novel idea and tried briefly but gave up because it was too hard ).
                            Thanks for your input, Convict. I am working on the lighting right now, and I am going to set up patrol paths for the ai. I am going to add extra detail to the rooms. I'll get rid of the beam as well, a little bit unrealistic I know. I will have noted your other points a well.

I am aware of there being a bsp hole in the guard house. I'm not sure why this appeared when I compiled (it wasn't there when I made it), but I've had to make a slightly simpler version of the guard house. so it doesn't get bsp holes in it.

Comment

i was gonna put it on ToB but i'll wait till the next version i suppose...you are fixing it up from what i see right?
                              http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7360475
                              -=:ToB:=- / :]eDe[: Site: www.endarkend.net
                              -=:ToB:=-Forums: www.endarkend.net/phpbb/
                              -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

Comment

Working...
                              X