Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The eternal question... Which version of Linux should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The eternal question... Which version of Linux should I get?

Now that I finally got Windows working properly (eh eh) I thought "ok, so Linux seems to be a rather interesting OS, maybe I shoudl give it a try".
    Problem is I dont know even what version to pickup up :?
    There is a portuguese version of Linux but im unsure of how "current it is". I hear a lot about SuSe and other weird names.
    So... any sugestions? And how much does a Linux instalation usually takes? Im planing on using my old HD so its not very big in fact I think it may not be big enough.
    Feel the power of the

Mandrake is a noob friendly version. Very similar to Windows in interface(KDE anyway).

My last install of linux(which included everything I wanted such as office program, couple games, multimedia viewing/editing) was around one and a half gigs. I had no need to install anything else.

I'll leave it to others to make other suggestions.
    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

I was gonna rush and name out Debian, but as you seem like a n00b, a more friendlier distro should suit you better.

I haven't been using X (graphical) as much as I should have, so let's get LetterMan to answear your question instead, he's a man with experience.

Comment

Get Windows Xp... Best version.

Comment

Linux is cool... and very save! I have both systems running on one PC! It works fine.
          Give it really a try!
          "Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
            Get Windows Xp... Best version.
            Already have that one thanks anyway MB
            Feel the power of the

Comment

You might try playing with Knoppix to start. It boots off CD, so it requires no HD space or installation. I'm told it's a good place to start learning Linux.

Comment

Yes, knoppix is great place to start, you can get the full immersion of linux off of that simple CD. there is some playing around to do, especially trying to get windows apps to run with wine, but its cool to see what similarities and differences there are. The Konqueror browser that comes with knoppix is even faster than Opera. Its fun to try before you take the plunge.

http://www.knoppix.net/

Download the ISO image and burn it with Nero or any burning software. Then Boot from CD

Comment

Knoppix is a good (Debian-based) distro to start with since you don't install it and you don't run the risk of fscking your Windows install or any data on your hard drive/s. As Hannu pointed out, just download the ISO image, burn it to a CD, and reboot your comp with the disk in a bootable CD drive. Most of the configuration is handled automatically.

Mandrake is probably the most noob-friendly distro as it strives to be just that, so I highly recommend it as well. MandrakeMove is very similar to Knoppix as it boots off of the CD so you won't have to install it to try it. They also have the best multi-language support of all the Linux distros.

Ultimately, it depends on you and what you intend to use Linux for. If you are looking for a replacement for Windows (or Mac ), Mandrake is probably your best bet. If you want to learn the basics of Linux, you'll want Slackware, or Gentoo. If you are looking for a server OS then you'll want to look into Redhat, SuSE, or Debian.

See my sig for a link to download any of 47 Linux distros.
                  No Linux, No Choice.
                  Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

I would also reccommend Mandrake. They've just released their 10.0 Official edition, so it's quite up to date and stable etc.

Mandrake also comes in a large variety of languages, certainly including Portugese.
                    Red Guard
                    Thievery UT

Comment

Mandrake if you want an easy rpm based system.

Libranet if you want an easy debian based system. (apt-get, you know you want it)

Knoppix -also debian,but prefer libranet- if you don't want to fiddle with your harddrive much.

But considering you kept saying "poor chief" or something similar when you found me using linux I don't see why you want to try it out

If you want windows software under linux your best bet is either wine (free download), winex (US$5 download) or codeweavers office/plugin. (trials available-£30 approx for bundle) , though so far no luck with any of my progs with codeweavers (tho they aren't supported ones I admit)

If you have an ATI card expect pain, lots of pain, lots of lots of lots of pain. (thief 2 is so slow with an ATI card under linux )

If you want to scream, try gentoo, I have the iso's and I still can't figure out how to install it even with their excellent guides. (well their ALSA guide is excellent any way :p)

btw anyone here ever done cvs winex install- if so I can ask for help

Well that's my info anyway.
                      [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

what about GNU? (gotta love the name, Gnu is Not Unix hehehe)

Comment

Originally posted by [E.D.G
                          Chief]If you have an ATI card expect pain, lots of pain, lots of lots of lots of pain.
                          Yes, ATI still has poor 3D support under Linux regardless of which distro you choose, though it is no problem getting decent 2D support. Basically you can expect everything but 3D games work fine without hassle.

Chief]thief 2 is so slow with an ATI card under linux
                          FWIW, Thief 2 is slow with Nvidia cards also, but is quite playable (AthlonXP 1600+, GF3Ti200, 512MB PC2100, SBLive 5.1). I use WineX (subcription) with the desktop color-depth at 16-bit (startx -- -depth 16) since Thief 2 only uses 16-bit color.
                          No Linux, No Choice.
                          Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

my old geforce2mx managed to run thief2 quite nicely (albeit 800*600 res) under my (now out of date) winex3.

As to ATI most people have to install and compile a new kernel just to get ATI support (once you get it installed it's not bad- ut2k4 runs nice enough for OGL) but I really want to edit linux to think my 9500 is a 9700 (same as softmods in windows, and without bios editing the card) but I just cant figure it out.

The latest ATI drivers at least have winex compatibility,which does prevent crashes.Tux racer runs smoothly enough. :lol:
                            [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

Chief]As to ATI most people have to install and compile a new kernel just to get ATI support.
                              The same can be said for nVidia. I had to compile a new kernel to get full support for my GF2 last time I was using Linux.

Currently I'm waiting for Mandrake 10 to get out of beta(I don't want to use the beta version, and any previous versions don't recognise my raid array).
                              Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Working...
                              X