TruForm ATI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TruForm ATI

Well, as some of you may know, some newer ATI cards have a feature called TruForm, which is meant to add detail to low polygon models.

When a game uses TRUFORM™ to tessellate geometry that should have smooth organic shapes, the silhouettes and lighting of the objects are improved. This is particularly important on characters, whose blocky shapes so often detract from the immersive experience of a game. TRUFORM™ is unique in that the same data and same API entrypoints are used when using TRUFORM™ as when not using TRUFORM™. This means that any application that uses TRUFORM™ is backward compatible with chips that do not render any higher order surfaces (i.e. all previous generations of graphics chips). Additionally, models require little tuning to look good with TRUFORM™, even for a game near completion or already released . Most models "just work." This ease of integration was one of the fundamental goals in the creation of TRUFORM™.
    TRUFORM can take these 3D models with low polygon counts and generate smooth, highly detailed images, affording most users a greatly enhanced visual experience with no compromise in performance or compatibility.
    I experimented with TruForm in Thievery, and found some interesting results.

http://s95328126.onlinehome.us/uploa...s/Shot0048.jpg

http://s95328126.onlinehome.us/uploa...s/Shot0046.jpg

http://s95328126.onlinehome.us/uploa...s/Shot0040.jpg

and the zip of the 15 screens worth showing:
    http://s95328126.onlinehome.us/uploa...ormScreens.zip
    Salsa: The Z axis is the Acromaster's domain

i find my frame rates get destroyed with tru form on Who put helium in the crates?? MB will go spare !!!! :lol: :grin: btw the zip refuses to d/l for me.
    [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

Comment

Doesn't look like anything fancy except for a mesh smooth over the model, it would probably work best on organic models like the thief or guard. Can you truform the player models?

Comment

lol! that halarious! :lol: looks like super mario brothers or something! the potions look better! the vine arrow looks like dough or something! the flares look like bread painted red! LOL great stuff! :lol:

Comment

How did you turn it on?
            Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Yeah, guards and thieves looked much smoother, and the mines looked excellent under it. I turned it on by downloading an opengl driver with truform support, not sure where it is, but I found it by googling truform and unreal tournament, then I went into the ATI Display settings and went under advanced opengl settings, and set TruForm to application preference. Oh, and Chief, did you right click the link and do save as? It works for me that way. Also, my frame rate was fine under a radeon 9600

Comment

This ever so popular OpenGL renderer supports it http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/. Of course you need an Radeon video card to use it
                ZT

Comment

Yeah I picked that one up. Too bad it's of little use to those of us using the new ATI drivers.

Comment

So it's meant to make everything look like it's made out oh playdough?

Potions are good and some other things were that I can't remember, but apart from that it fadged everything up really. Why would it make crates all puffy outty, as they are meant to be box shaped, as they are made up of just a box of polygons, so surely it would realise that and keep the shape?!?! Strange stuff.
                    These days I find that I can't be bothered,
                    To argue with them - well what's the point?
                    Better to take you shots and drop down dead.

Comment

one comment:

THIEVERY ON WEED!
                      "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

The only problem is that UT/Thievery wasn't meant to use TRUFORM and the implementation in this case is beta.

I wasn't able to get it working even when using the opengl driver that supports it and having turned on in the display properties.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not even fully sure how I got it to work. I had tried it a week ago with no results, but yesterday I changed to D3D, then after visual bugs, went back to OpenGL. After I switched back to OpenGL, then it worked.

Comment

ATI fixed the OpenGL gamma bug!

You can get it as a hotfix from ATI(I haven't looked) or combined with the latest Omega drivers(which is where I got it).

Comment

Working...
                            X