any good turn-based RPGs out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any good turn-based RPGs out there?

i recently played through Fallout 2, and for a change, i really enjoyed turn-based combat. im looking for another good turn based RPG, but i can only find KOTOR and some older bioware games.

graphics are not a factor. i just want lots of depth in character creation and preferably a turn-based combat system. im tired of dungeon siege and real time combat like that -- even with recent real times like Sacred, im uninterested.

does anyone know of any really good turn based RPGs out today?
    "Tyler sold his soap to department stores at $20 a bar. Lord knows what they charged. It was beautiful. We were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them."

Fallout 1? :grin:

Comment

This one is fairly new and it's said to be good:

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/silent-storm/494779p1.html
      <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Comment

Not really a turn based, but Knights of the Old Republic is an excellent RPG. It's real time D&D rules, but the action pauses when combat starts and you can pause it any time so it doesn't end up being just a giant hack fest.

Comment

Any "Ultima" game starting from 3 up to 6.
          Keep in mind that these are VERY OLD, but you said graphics were not a requirement.
          Feel the power of the

Comment

Oh yeah!!!

Arcanum.
            Never got thaat far in it, but it's interestning game for sure!
            A steampunk universe set in something that looks like the 1800, where magicka and technology co exist...

Comment

Just playing Neverwinter Nights and like it. Urmm its not really turn-based, you have to pause yourself, but thats basically the same, eh? ^^ Lots of depth in character creation for sure.

Others i can think of : Jagged Alliance 2 and Final Fantasy 7. If ya got lots of time, get a SNES Emulator and Breath of Fire 2. Best SNES RPG Evar. Chrono Trigger and Ogre Battle are worth it too (though i never finished Ogre Battle. Missed an opportunity to get some special party member, couldnt fix the mistake, got pissed, quitted . )
              My leet Thievery Map
              My leet UT3 Map
              My leet AS Map

Comment

thanks for all the replies, everyone.

Arcanum is turn based? well, even if it's not, i hadnt considered it. its old and probably cheap, too. thanks.

i am almost definitely going to buy KOTOR, however. no one i've talked to has had anything bad to say about it.
                "Tyler sold his soap to department stores at $20 a bar. Lord knows what they charged. It was beautiful. We were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them."

Comment

Fallout 1, then 2... in that order. Truely great games, very sinister feel to them both.
                  ~TuF~

Comment

Jagged Alliance 2. Best turn based game.... ever.
                    -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
                    - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
                    - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
                    -YT

Comment

Originally posted by [bulletproof
                      ]Arcanum is turn based? well, even if it's not, i hadnt considered it. its old and probably cheap, too. thanks.
                      I think it was made by some of the people from the Fallout team.
                      I plays partly like it, and like in Fallout Tactics, combat has been evovled so you can choose between Turnbased or Realtime.
                      http://arcanum.sierra.com/

Comment

Natuk I liked really much a few years back, never got the full version but I played through the shareware version. Fantasy team-based turn-based rpg, quite similar as it's older brother Nahlakh, but it's based on Orcs and Trolls. Really sweet spell system, and the nifty graphics aren't too bad either.

Tom Proudfoot started making a sort-of sequel, Pirates of the Western Sea, but it never got finished. The full beta version is downloadable from the page somewhere, but it's buggy as hell. Some people have played it through, but it could get really annoying, because it really is quite not finished.

And Silent Storm is really, really good. There's an expansion coming out soon too, which adds more to it. But I wouldn't call Silent Storm an rpg, it's an turn-based combat game with heavy rpg elements. (character generation and experience etc.) Quite similar to Jagged Alliance.

And if graphics are not a factor, you can never go wrong with Nethack (Or even better, get Slash'EM!.)
                        My cats are black! How about yours?

Comment

i read the gamespy review of S2, and it looks like the sort of combat im looking for. an action point system is what i really want. the physics in that game, omg! too bad the story is so nonexistant, or so they say. also, i heard Jagged Alliance 2 wasnt that great, at least in terms of story.

i downloaded the demo for Sacred today. i really dislike the combat, but the graphics, interface, and the entire wandering the world thing i REALLY like. ill need to play it some more to decide.

ill probably just get KOTOR, though im considering S2 now that the combat looks so cool.

Comment

There's a good demo out for S2, try it for starters.
                            Silent Storm's weak points are the lacking of a good story and the somehow "mild" character personalities (compared to Jagged Alliance). But the engine and physics rock! It's a wonderful feeling when you first time accidentally explode a whole building around you or eliminate the enemy by shooting a full burst through a wooden floor, just by listening to their footsteps...
                            My cats are black! How about yours?

Comment

It's not really turn based, but Planescape: Torment is my favorite RPG. AWESOME story, with good gameplay (uses the Baldur's Gate engine).
                              me videre non potes, occultatione gero....
                              [You can't see me, I'm wearing camouflage....]
                              -CaligoIpsa

Comment

Working...
                              X