X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal 3 Engine Preview movie. WOW!

Copied from ataricommunity.com:

http://www.jamesbambury.pwp.blueyond...real3_0002.wmv

This is a movie presentation from Epic Games President about the Unreal3 Engine.
    This thing is incredible! Also listen about him mention an "unmentioned game" coming soon.

Edited pointless post
    Feel the power of the

Comment

I already posted it here:
      http://www.thieveryut.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3765
      <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Comment

Originally posted by Firetiger
        Ah! Missed the second link you posted.
        In that case, welcome to last week.
        Feel the power of the

Comment

Either way, nice, very nice. And here I thought the gaming industry was on the decline.
          "He said he didn't trust me, so I killed him."--Hidden_Wolfe

Comment

Anyone notice the low framerate, especially on the outdoor ruins scene? It looked about 10 FPS in one spot. Does anyone know what video card and processor they were running it on? It wasn't the new nVidia Ultra card that was just unveiled, was it?
            "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Looks like i am the only one who hasn't seen it yet ,looks amazing.

*Goes to buy a new comp*

Comment

I believe the demo was running on the new GeForce 6800. They said that before they had the card, the demo/engine could only run at 2-5 fps on top end cards.

Comment

Yes, they were saying in previous interview also that the engine was designed for systems that aren't even out yet, so its probably hard to get it to run at the proper frame rate, the Geforce 6800 is the first to allow it to run semi smoothly. I wonder what processor they got in there, AMD FX-53 I'd assume.

Comment

Anyway its still a bit far way. The Unreal 2 engine IMO hasnt been squeezed to its full and defenitly all those monster polygon sets and carachters will need something that most likely will only be available in... let's say 2005 or so.

I kinda disagree your view about FPS count Buho. I mean, its a sort of amateur video done on what looks like a non interactive demo. If you film a screen of a computer you will see that its not "getting" the image as you see it. Its a bit dificult to explain in words so believe it or not if you like.
                    They could also have slowed down the demo to give people time to look at the awsome looks (like you see in just about any scene on a movie with landscapes). But there is no doubt that its unreal. Impressive how they are still using that old UT loading screen.
                    Feel the power of the

Comment

Pretty amazing that the geForce 6800 Ultra is already old! :lol:

No, it was interactive. The first one was a simple flythrough, but the others, someone was obviously controlling it with a mouse and keyboard. It would sort of ruin the authenticity if it were prerendered, don't you think?

The handicam video was 30fps (thereabouts, maybe 29.97), so any jerkiness I could see would either be a mismatch of frames of the demonstration with the handicam (apparent in half-rendered frames displayed in the handicam frame) or multiple handicam frames displaying the same demonstration. I know what you're saying Antero, I got ya. But 15fps demonstration would show up twice per handicam frame, 10fps, three. It's pretty obvious. Check it out, some parts show smooth handicam recording but the demo is a bit jerky.

But ditto on the futures market. It's not meant to come out this year. It's just amazing seeing a glimpse into the future. Kinda like dreaming what the Playstation 11 will generate or what that 20GHz processor I've been wanting for 5 years now will be able to crunch.
                      "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

The only thing you can possibly say to this is:
                        And I still think we need support for these shadows in TUT!

Unreal rock on!
                        AlienMode ThieveryUT adaption
                        Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
                        Life is a bitch, then you get cancer. One story is good till another is told.

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
                          But ditto on the futures market. It's not meant to come out this year. It's just amazing seeing a glimpse into the future. Kinda like dreaming what the Playstation 11 will generate or what that 20GHz processor I've been wanting for 5 years now will be able to crunch.
                          Well, I can guarantee you one thing. The PS 11 might look cool and all when it comes out, but 5 years down the road, it won't look as awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
                            No, it was interactive. The first one was a simple flythrough, but the others, someone was obviously controlling it with a mouse and keyboard. It would sort of ruin the authenticity if it were prerendered, don't you think?
                            Well, I will stay on my opinion that its not interctive. Do notice that I didnt say it was a render.
                            One reason I state its not interactive is that the guy on the presentation sometimes seems to fall behind like if the demo is running too fast for him to talk along. Were it interactive IMO then guy should be controling the camera himself (but obviously it wasnt him as he changes from one side the other of the screen) or the person in control would time the camera moves with his presentation pace.
                            The other reason is that its completly possible to make a scene in any unreal engine that runs without human intervention and still be an in-engine scene. The Unreal 1 menu scene is one example I remeber. They have been pre made but they require as much hardware to run as the "real thing".

Funny you mention that SM. The new batch of HL2 images is not getting a much hype as they did about 1 year ago. People are saying something like "Same old images" or "Hmm, doesnt look that awsome anymore".
                            Probably by the time Unreal 3 engine hits the streets we wont be so astonished by its features. Even more if they start leaking info in such a early time.
                            Feel the power of the

Comment

Originally posted by Antero90
                              People are saying something like "Same old images" or "Hmm, doesnt look that awsome anymore".
                              As I said, much like consoles ever since, what Day 1?

However, I'm still drooling over this. Perspective bumpmaps. :gulp:

Comment

Working...
                              X