Please help me - ADSL probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me - ADSL probs

Hi all I have ADSL and initially when I was the only person using it (shared connection) I had a ping of 350 - 420 and download speed of 25 kbps. Now my ping is 2000- 3000 but fluctuates for a few seconds to ~400 again before going back up. Its been like this for a couple of weeks now. The download was ~15 kbps but the ping for thievery was as above today. Very odd. On modem I had a ping of ~500+ and download of ~5kbps.

Any clues why my ping is *very* high but download is relatively good?

Thanks in advance
    Night of the Werewolves II
    HarryPotterwars
    A Thief's Guide to Thievery for UT (video not complete yet)

Originally posted by Convict
    Hi all I have ADSL and initially when I was the only person using it (shared connection) I had a ping of 350 - 420 and download speed of 25 kbps.
    Without being a network expert I believe you answered your own question. Who or what else is sharing your conection?
    Feel the power of the

Comment

To true. I'm on a shared connection, actually... we have 5 computers hooked up to it, 3 PC's and 2 Macs. My dad likes to constantly update his Mac's with dumb updates, which takes up all of the bandwidth. Even 5kbps can effect gameplay vastly.
      -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
      - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
      - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
      -YT

Comment

Thanks guys but the download speed is alot higher than modem but all other variables (e.g. people) being the same my game ping is much higher than with modem. I'm going to ask at TTLG also but they have database troubles at the moment so its STUFFING UP MY THIEVERY PLAYING!!!

Cheers guys
        HarryPotterwars

Comment

What is your upload speed? Download speed is not everything- you also need good upload speed to talk to the servers. Typically, most providers set you up for good websurfing, meaning they place most of your bandwidth on the dwonload end of things, and give lower the upload speed. Bottom line- your upload speed is probably significantly lower then your download speed, and causing your problems.

One thing I might suggest is calling your provider and ask them if they can make your upload speed the same as your dwonload speed. If they, expect your dowload speed to go down as much as your upload goes up. Your surfing will be slower, but the game should be more stable.

Something else to try is setting your Internet speed in the configuration properties to "Dial-up." This should limit how much data your computer downloads and uploads. It will make your ping a little higher, but should reduce the spikes. You can also tweak this in your Thaux.ini file. Look for:

[Engine.Player]
          ConfiguredInternetSpeed=2600

"ConfiguredInternetSpeed" relates to your connection speed. The higher the value, the faster the required connection. Too high, and you will spikes (surges) as your computer trys to achieve the maximum speed, gets it, chokes, gets it, choke, etc. Too low, and your ping will not be as good as it can be. By default, I believe it is 20000 (maximum spped). Per information realated to servers ("maxclientrate"- server side speed limit), would expect maximum speed ever seen (ie- LAN) to be 8000. Most servers limit you to 5000. Dial-up speed is 2600. Myself, found 400-500 ping better then 200 ping with a good bit of stutter/spikes.

Hope this helps
          Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
          Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Thanks Thebos I'll try editing the file. My ping *used* to be great - until a couple of weeks ago. It was working well for maybe 10 min today though so...
            HarryPotterwars

Comment

There are some things out of your control (but that shouldn't be out of your ISP's control, entirely) that can cause a high ping other than up/down speeds. If the noise:signal ratio on your connection is too high, it can cause packet loss and high pings. If all else fails, call your ISP's tech support and have them check your line - if they're set up right, the guy on the phone should be able to do it right then and there. If that's the problem, they should be able to tweak some settings to bring that ratio more in line, and stabilize your connection. Usually that involves capping your up/down speeds somewhere below the maximum.

As an example, my DSL line is a 768K connection. But my distance from the nearest broadcast center is fairly high, so my noise:signal ratio is too high, so at my request, to keep my connection stable, my ISP has capped me at 640K down and 384K up.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys (I don't understand packet loss etc) but I pulled the THaux ConfiguredInternetSpeed=2600 to ConfiguredInternetSpeed=1500 and I still got ping spikes to ~2000 ping (or higher - maybe others were using it when it went to 4000). Sorry for all the whinging but at least I discovered something. 2000-3000 ping is *playable*. 4000 ping is not - you open a door and run in then when it closes you warp back outside. Plus guards don't appear on the screen at 4000 ping :roll:.

BTW I don't think I can change upload/download ratios since my landlord pays for all of us. Also it worked really well when I first got it so..

But thanks anways all.
                HarryPotterwars

Comment

A virus perhaps?

I had a nasty worm a while ago that sucked up all my bandwidth.

Thankfully I got rid of it.
                  Can't remember what it was tho.
                  Black Cat Games
                  ThieveryUT
                  Alien Swarm

Comment

Packet loss: When information is sent through your connection, it's broken up into "packets" of a constant size. Each computer sending packets recieves a confirmation (or not, if packet loss is occuring) that each packet was received within a specific time limit. If confirmation isn't received within that time limit, the packet is sent again. This slows down your connection because information has to be sent more than once. The loss % is the percentage of packets having to be re-transmitted.

In an ideal world, there would be no packet loss. In the real word, though, ALL connections experience some. On a good connection, it should be less than 1%. Unreal Tournament, on which Thievery is based, claims that it's playable with no loss of performance at up to 5%.

Packet loss is the usually the cause for ingame things like "teleporting" or snapping back to a location you thought you'd left, whistlers staying lit after they're supposed to have gone off, and a couple other things that escape me right now.

Comment

I don't thinks its a virus cause my download works at the correct 25kbps when noone else is using the bandwidth and I have Norton antivirus.

I spose it could be packet loss cause my pings making me do a lot of teleporting but it spikes up and (sometimes) down to ~350 but the fix Thebos mentioned didn't work. If anyone can think of a solution I'd be very grateful but if you can't thanks anyway for trying .

Thanks again.
                      HarryPotterwars

Comment

To see if packet loss is the problem - in which case crazy stuff will be happening all over the shop. (I have been extremely disturbed by some occurances during periods of packet loss).
                        -Use the F7 key, which brings up a display of your ping and packet loss % as well as other things like connection speed.
                        As for solving your problem, I am clueless with such stuff. :cry:

I really hope you find a solution because the more Australians that play the better! :|
                        .: Daymaster - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

Comment

Someone mentioned the possibility of a virus. Update and scan. If you don't have a virus scanner, then search for a free one - sorry I don;t know any free ones :-/

Could also be spyware, get adaware Here, download and update scan etc.

Should get rid of any nasty bandwidth sucking spyware you may have
                          These days I find that I can't be bothered,
                          To argue with them - well what's the point?
                          Better to take you shots and drop down dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Erased
                            Someone mentioned the possibility of a virus. Update and scan. If you don't have a virus scanner, then search for a free one - sorry I don;t know any free ones :-/

Could also be spyware, get adaware Here, download and update scan etc.

Should get rid of any nasty bandwidth sucking spyware you may have
                            AVG is a full-featured virus scanner that is free for home users. I recently saw a comparison (can't seem to find that comparison, sorry) of AVG vs Norton vs McAfee and AVG performed nearly identical to the others.

Also, there is a free online scanner provided by Trend Micro that has a tendency to catch some viruses, worms, etc, that the other popular scanners miss.
                            No Linux, No Choice.
                            Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Barring all the above things, do NOT be afraid to call your ISP and tell them you're having problems. Have a list of everything you've already tried handy, in order tosave time - they will always tell you it's a problem on your end first, but if you've already troubleshot your machine, you can cut through the BS and get them on to the line testing.

Be firm, but not offensive or rude. You ARE a customer, and you're paying for a service you don't seem to be getting.

Comment

Working...
                              X