Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's OT news, HALO Editor released

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com...b=5&o=&fpart=1

I think this proves that fanbase CAN pull some stuff out if they keep the pressure on (in a positive way of course).
    If Eidos says no to an official Thief 3 editor maybe we can convince IS to release a completly beta and use at your own risk editor without getting themselves into a legal trouble.
    Just another wild thought but considering this news im hopefull for Thief 3 FMs in the future.

*Starts looking at a suspicious City Guard"
    "Hey! Dont look at me like that! I tried to relate this to Thief! AH! Nooo!"
    Feel the power of the

A) This is an off-topic forum, you really don't need to worry.

B) Fucking awesome! Finally. The promised editor is finally released.
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Something tells me that an editor for a multi-player product is more likely to appear then for a single-player game.

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary
        Something tells me that an editor for a multi-player product is more likely to appear then for a single-player game.
        Errr...Dromed anyone?
        Black Cat Games
        ThieveryUT
        Alien Swarm

Comment

Originally posted by Cythe
          Errr...Dromed anyone?
          Different internal company politics I'm afraid.

It's not impossible, but it sure is doubtful. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by BiG_D
            B) Fucking awesome! Finally. The promised editor is finally released.
            Was it promised? If so, that means we can't compare this news to Thief3, since Thief3 never promised an editor.
            "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
              Was it promised? If so, that means we can't compare this news to Thief3, since Thief3 never promised an editor.
              Hmmm. It's a dark area actually. As far as I know neither Bungie or Microsoft (to all effects the owners of HALO) never said anything related to an editor. In fact I suspect that they intentionally kept it under wraps because of some dumb xbox protection scheme. (a fully customizable PC HALO could in their views ruin HALO and HALO 2 sales for the xbox). My point is that IS could try to bypass Eidos negative answer to an official editor and release an unsuported editor like gearbox just did.
              Feel the power of the

Comment

There actually was a user made map editor for Halo, the game itself however had poor support for custom maps. (You had to overwrite official ones)

Comment

I seem to remeber either Bungee or Microsoft promising an editor for Halo in a press release a few months before the game was finished, and it was supposed to ship with the game...
                  It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by BiG_D
                    I seem to remeber either Bungee or Microsoft promising an editor for Halo in a press release a few months before the game was finished, and it was supposed to ship with the game...
                    Yes... I remember reading something like that too. I was actually suprised that it wasn't out months ago.
                    Immortius' Forge

Comment

Ok, I must have missed it or thought it was GB advertising only.

But it doesnt mean that its too late to keep the pressure on IS
                      Feel the power of the

Comment

I've got an Xbox and it's cool and all, but really, I hate it when these games are favored for a console over the superior computer. It's like they build the game for xbox and then 'port' it to PC so they don't even bother with an editor, just because of the console. Plus, besides myself, realistically how many xbox owners really are going to be able to play this game the way it's supposed to be played anyway? :\ Especially watching that video of that total noob. It seems companies nowadays (besides epic) don't understand that an editor and development kits helps a game to sell a lot more copies. I mean, I don't even know of one person who plays Halo for PC, but if it shipped with an editor, I'm sure I'd be seeing some really cool mods, knowing how cool the Halo engine is. In the end, no editor means everybody's loss, and it's so tragic :\
                        Predator
                        Black Cat Games Modeler
                        Black Cat Games
                        Nightblade
                        Thievery

Comment

Okay, here's the deal with the editor: The game is not shipping with one. Eidos will only fund development and release of the editing tools if the game sells droves. The editing tools are not a complete compact package like dromed. It's a thoroughly unique version of Unreal Ed plus a half dozen or so other programs. Keep up the petition, keep sending letters to eidos, and buy the game. Meanwhile, don't give up on your Thief 2 FMs. Keep 'em coming. - Digital Nightfall
                          My faith in humanity is restored. :wink:

But that doesn'tmean I'llput away my cattle prod. Just in case.

Comment

Okay, here's the deal with the editor: The game is not shipping with one. Eidos will only fund development and release of the editing tools if the game sells droves. The editing tools are not a complete compact package like dromed. It's a thoroughly unique version of Unreal Ed plus a half dozen or so other programs. Keep up the petition, keep sending letters to eidos, and buy the game. Meanwhile, don't give up on your Thief 2 FMs. Keep 'em coming. - Digital Nightfall
                            It may be just me but this statement carries some weird stuff.

Eidos will only fund development and release of the editing tools.
                            Hold on there! If the game went gold it means they already developed tools for it (hello?) Or are we talking about something that turns even a super computer geek into a compelte noob? By "funding" is Eidos saying that we would have to pay for it?! FFS! I may be making a paranoid statement but this is ridiculous! Having to pay JUST for tools is a bit too much IMO if you already bought the game or just want to "try" the editor. It really doesnt make sense unless IS indeed wants to get payed to make their tools more user friendly. In that case IS can keep their editor and expect nothing but Thief FMs continuing to expand the old games life time.

The editing tools are not a complete compact package like dromed.
                            Guess I was lucky by picking up HALO. "HEK" is in fact a tool that allows you to import stuff you make in 3DS inside HALO. Its only part of what you need to edit maps so its not really THE editor.
                            Probably it's anoying for some people not having a united tool where they can workout all the AI and light plament, etc, etc. But... IMO if it works better like that, leave it like that. Its no use a unified editor if half of what you could do with the original one is not there.
                            My guess is that these separate packages are the AI files, light beaviour. Most likely all the custom stuff they needed to add to the unreal engine.
                            And really, dromed isnt the only thing you use for Thief FMs. Most of them are ziped and as far as I know dromed doesnt zip files

Personally I think this is all BS. UnrealEd is probably the most picky of editors out there. Sure I dont know much about other level editors but IMO if you can work with UED you should have no trouble working with other tools, even an altered UED which seems to be the case.
                            I dont know where the guy of the quote got that kind of info from Eidos but it kinda makes me think that:
                            1- Eidos doesnt have a clue of what a editor is and so they consider it much like a normal game. There is also that thing of making the console and the PC versions alike in order not to "damage" the console version sales.
                            2- IS doesnt want to reveal their "tools of trade". This is an acceptable option even if we all scream at their doorstep "That sucks!". They worked hard on it and they probaly would feel kinda robed by just giving away tools that in some way belong to them.

Anyway, this will not be the end of Thief FMs for a few reasons IMO. (I cant stop thinking that the guy seems more concerned about the end of Thief FMs than the perspective of juicing to the full such a cool game like Thief 3)
                            1- Hardcore fans will not drop the old Thief games just because they now got Thief 3. They may spend a little less time with it but... c'mon! You really cant live a full month without hearing that awsome dialog on your way to the Mechanist Tower.
                            2- Not all people have computers that meet the requirements of Thief 3.
                            3- Thief 3 will not be released with an editor. And THAT makes a diference. You buy any unreal game and you can edit content as soon as you finish instalation. I know a good hanfull of people that really hate having to download an editor on a slow conection. Making the user wait is BAD. In Halo's case its 2 times bad because you need to download a modified version of HALO to play with the user created content.

Anyway. Back to the start. Lets keep the pressure on.
                            Feel the power of the

Comment

I think what was said is:

If the PC release will be a success, then an editor will be okayed by Eidos. It will probably be released in a patch...

But I will not relinguish my stick yet. :roll:

Comment

Working...
                              X