The Cicadas are coming! THE CICADAS ARE COMING!!!! [rant]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cicadas are coming! THE CICADAS ARE COMING!!!! [rant]

AAAAAAAAAhhhh, everyone run for your lives, the 17 year cicadas are coming out of their sleep, and they're taking over the world we're all gonna die what are we gonna do, aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Ok, reading the headlines, and listening to the hourly news, you'd think the cicadas were a bunch of flesh eating plague ridden monsters.

I don't get it. They're COOL. Did you ever catch one? They're just...cool. Sure, they make noise, but they do EVERY year...just not this KIND of cicada.

So whats the big deal here? Cicadas were always a sign of the new season coming, for me. I like em.

Why does everything I read and hear make it like the cicadas are taking over the world?

I think its just more news media sensationalism.

[/rant]
    Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
    www.usyetzer.com

WTF is a cicadas?

Comment

They're sort of like crickets.

And why aren't there any A symbols on the forums?

Comment

http://www.mentalcontagion.com/jpgs/cicadas.jpg

They're about an inch to an inch and 1/2 long.

I find them very interesting.

I have 2 stored in little film containers....a 17 year, and the other kind.

You can tell which is which by the color, but I forget which color corresponds with the year-type. (In the photo above, its green...you can see it near the base of the wing.)
        Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
        www.usyetzer.com

Comment

this is a cicada:

The're pretty blind, so they fly at people thinking hat they're trees to sleep in, and htey make a lot of noise. But htey have these cool shells, and they don't to any harm, so what's the big deal?

here's a cidada shell. the local orchard sells these things by the millions for nickel each becasue they get so many.

there are many kinds of cicada, but the 17-year cicada is a nendagered species for the intervening 17 years between hatchings.

here's a cidada song

here's the sound of hte 17-year cicada that'll be causing such a stir in the States. The epicenter of the hatchings (the plce where the most impact will be felt) will, incidentally, be a town about 2 miles from where i live. hmm..[/url]

I like ciadas. I don't know why other poeple don't. they're really cool.
          "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

I found one on my door once... maybe it was only the shell, because when I touched it with a wooden stick it fell to the ground in dust.
            JM

Comment

I think those are the bugs that make a lot of noise. :?

Comment

Living in Texas, the dead heat of summer, 100 degrees outside. You have your windows closed, still you hear something through the windows, and what do you hear, the humming, the buzzing of those damn things. Makes me feel like I live in Africa, in the deepest jungle with those things around.
                Ohh goodie, more of them this year. Can't wait. ¬¬

Comment

I would gladly trade a milion of those things for half less summer fires this year.
                  Feel the power of the

Comment

Only someone from Indiana would do this but a guy sauted a bunch of them in butter with a touch of garlic and ate them. He ended up in the hospital because he had an allergic reaction to them. Maybe a few cicada ought to end up in a new map in thievery....just because they are there.
                    formerly littlek

Comment

Yeh I got no problem with Cicadas, we got them is Oz too.
                      During hot summer days you can hear em making their noise, which is very loud. I believe its made by them rubbing there legs against their bodies - or is that crickets. Maybe its by rubbing their wings over their bodies, yes, i think that is it. :?

I don't know about these 17 year Cicadas though. I guess the only concern would be if they were some sort of pest that interfered with agricultre. Alot of stuff in America seems to be blown out of proportion, like Garlisk suggested, some form of paranoia or hysteria no doubt.

Cicada's taking over the world indeed!
                      .: Daymaster - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

Comment

Originally posted by TafferBoy
                        I don't know about these 17 year Cicadas though. I guess the only concern would be if they were some sort of pest that interfered with agricultre.
                        They are. There's a variety in the midwest that resurges every 7 years, not 17. They're referred to as 7-year locusts.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                          I don't know about these 17 year Cicadas though. I guess the only concern would be if they were some sort of pest that interfered with agricultre.
                          They are. There's a variety in the midwest that resurges every 7 years, not 17. They're referred to as 7-year locusts.
                          dating back to the 7-year plague

Comment

Well you learn something everyday.
                            Pests really suck, we have more than enough of 'em in Australia, all the introduced species that the Europeans brought with them for shits and giggles.
                            Rabbits, Cacti (prickey pear), Cane Toads (that was a really bit screw up :cry: ) I'm sure Shug and Rodent could tell you all about them.

Which leads me to my next question, are these "17/7 year Cicadas" an introduced/foreign species?
                            .: Daymaster - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

Comment

Well you learn something everyday.
                              Pests really suck, we have more than enough of 'em in Australia, all the introduced species that the Europeans brought with them for shits and giggles.
                              Rabbits, Cacti (prickey pear), Cane Toads (that was a really bit screw up :cry: ) I'm sure Shug and Rodent could tell you all about them.

Which leads me to my next question, are these "17/7 year Cicadas" an introduced/foreign species?
                              You do realise you are such a species right?

Unless you're an aboriginal.

Comment

Working...
                              X