Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New vBulletin forums!

Yay.

I'll start by saying that this is a moment we've been waiting for a long time. The Black Cat Forums needed an upgrade badly, running on an old version of phpBB2 - and we now got a more powerfull, secure and reliable discussion board than ever before. And, the forums are now hosted on blackcatgames.com, on a dedicated server!

Ok, let's start with the
    Frequently Asked Questions:

Why vBulletin?
    vBulletin is a more powerfull discussion forum software, with lots of features. We could of course upgrade to a newer version of phpBB2, but we chose to convert to vB for a lot of reasons, including better and more powerfull admin interface, better moderator interface and control panel, easier and better template modifications, phrase system, calendar system, better user control panel, attachment uploads, avatar hosting etc. Some of these features can be integrated with the use of phpBB2, but it includes hacking of the software, and thus we found it better to convert to vB instead.

Why pay for vB when phpBB is free?
    vB costs money, yes. But when you pay for the software, you get dedicated support by the developers, and not just access to a overcroaded support forum. This means that it is easier to get problems answeared and solved, and you actually get a garantie for the software.

Where are my old Private Messages?
    They're still in your inbox/outbox. We made an announcement a few months back telling you to save all PM's if you wanted to keep them, becuase we were going to wipe them out. The reason for that, was that the import scripts we had tested on back then, did not support PM's. But when vB3 Gold were released, a new set of import scripts were developed, and they now support PM's. The PM counter says you've got 0 PM's, this is in most cases wrong. Once you send or recieve a message, the cache is updated. All PM's are also flagged as new, so you've gotta go in your usercp and mark them as old/read.

Also, some users should really start maintaining their inbox - we have one users with over 800 PM's, and lots of users have over 500. I suggest you clean out things you don't need, or download it as a text, cvs or xml file (another nifty vB feature). We've set the maximum to 100 PM's, so you better start cleaning up so you can recieve PM's at all.

[strike]But did you delete my avatar then?
    Yes, the link you had provided in your usercp on the old phpBB board to a remote avatar, is not brought over. The reason for this is that vB doesn't support remote avatars, mainly for security reasons.

So how do I get an avatar then?
    There are of course an avatar system in vB. But instead of using remote avatars, the user have to upload the avatar to the forums, which means that the avatar is hosted here on BlackCatGames.com. Right now, the option to upload avatars for users is disabled. The reason for this is that we do have a bandwidth cap, and we need to measure the bandwidth usage before we allow you to upload avatars. Sorry, but we can't afford to spend more bandwidth than we're allowed to.

We know that personal avatars is an element that makes the forums more spicy, and if we find out that we can't do the hosting of avatars, we'll implement a hack that makes the users able to specify a remote link. Don't worry, we're working on it, and it won't be long until you'll get this feature back.[/strike]
    I'll keep on adding questions and answears to this list as they appear in this thread.

So, what else is new?
    There are some new features in vB, that we think you might find usefull. I'll list them here:

Calendar System
    You might have noticed the new calendar link in the forum menu. Here you can add public events, and the events will get listed in the What's Going On? box on the forum index page at the date specified. You can for an example use the public events for guild matches, and other things you find usefull to remind the community about. Both the contributor and other interested members, can set a reminder for the event, and will then recieve a mail when the event is about to find place.

The public calendar events are moderated, and one of the administrators or moderators have to approve the event before it is displayed to the public.This is to prevent abuse of the system, and that only usefull events are added.

Buddy List
    You can now add your friends to the buddy list, and easily see if they are online on the forums or not. You can also send PM's to multiple buddies at once. You can add buddies from other members user profile, and manage them from your usercp.

Ignore List
    You can also add members to your ignore list, and you will not recieve PM's or see posts from ignored members anymore. Usefull if there is an arse you want to 'get rid' of. You can add people on your ignore list from their user profile, and manage them from your usercp.

Turn off avatars, signatures and images
    You now have an option in your usercp options to turn off avatars and/or signatures of all users. You can also set that you don't want to see embeded images, but rather get a link displayed. Usefull for members on a slow connection.

Quick Reply
    On the bottom of each thread, there is a Quick Reply box. This is used if you don't want to click on the Reply button and then load a new page before you can write your post. You have to click on the Quick Reply button in one of the posts in the thread before the Quick Reply field is unlocked, and you can choose if you want to add the specified post as a quote or not.

New quote system
    Ah, this is a feature I wanted when we used phpBB. You can still quote whole posts, but if the post you are quoting already contains another quote, this quote will not get added to your post. You can still add multiple quotes, but quotes inside another quote is not automatically added. I still urge you to follow our forum rules, and just add the relevant info in the quote, and not just the whole post.

Birthday box
    A little nice addition. If you have specified your birthday and age in your usercp, you will get listed in the birthday box when your age is multiplied with +1. You will also recieve a birthday mail from us. I suggest you go in your usercp and fill in this form right now, as this information was not brought over when we converted.

Black Cat Games box
    We added a box on the forum index page which displays the currently avalible versions of the modifications we are developing, and the link to where the files can be downloaded.

Attachments
    Another nice feature that is implemented in vB, is the option to upload files to your post. This can be screenshots, and other small image files you want to show the public. This feature is moderated, and an attachment has to be approved by the administrators or the super moderator before it is displayed in your post. This is to prevent abuse. As mentioned earlier, we do have a bandwidth cap, so we don't accept large (as in kB's) images. Please use this wisely. If you have personal webspace on another host, you should likely use it to host the files, and just put up the link in your post. (This feature is currently not avalible to members).

New forum categories
    We found it nessecary to change the categories on the forums a little. This isn't the Thievery Forums anymore it is the Black Cat Forums. We changed the Thievery General Discussion to Community Chat in the Community Forums category, since all of the opp-topic discussions are in there.

What's left to do:
    • [strike]Add all smilies[/strike]
    • Rebuild Serach Index. You cannot search the forums atm
    • [strike]Add access to the private forums for devs/testers[/strike]
    • [strike]Fix the servertime, which is 12 hours off[/strike]

Ok, that's about it. There are some other self-explaining features on this new discussion board. But don't hestitate to ask us if you have a question. So, browse around, get familiar with the new forum software, and keep having fun!

Please post any comments, questions and suggestions in this thread!

Cheers,
    ~The Black Cat Forums team

Wow! This place is looking good!

Chuck Norris approves! (as long as Action people don't sue us)

- It's true!
    Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

I would just like to say, good job m0dEtWo. It looks great, and we all appreciate your hard work.
      I do see a few typos

Comment

Nice and smooth.
        Nightmaster,
        .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
        - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

Looks slick and loads fast, thanks m2!
          I know how concrete is made... Squirrels!

Comment

i like it
            http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7360475
            -=:ToB:=- / :]eDe[: Site: www.endarkend.net
            -=:ToB:=-Forums: www.endarkend.net/phpbb/
            -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

Comment

Looks good, but a few things:

1. Nicks look really big to me.

2. Individual forums need a mark this forum read link <s>and the main index needs to have the icons change when all posts in the forums have been read.</s>(ok, the icons change, just takes longer to respond than it should).

3. Quick reply should be enabled by default and quotes should be handled the old way(we post more often without a quote than we do with a quote).
              Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Abit toyish eh? ^^

Jk, looks nice - ill miss ye olde TUT Forum though

Btw would be neat to have all the old smilies too
                Last edited by Schleicher; 19 May 2004, 08:59 AM.
                My leet Thievery Map
                My leet UT3 Map
                My leet AS Map

Comment

Originally posted by Salvage
                  Looks good, but a few things:
                  1. Nicks look really big to me.
                  Yes, and? Is that ugly? I think it's neat.

2. Individual forums need a mark this forum read link and the main index needs to have the icons change when all posts in the forums have been read.
                  There is a "Mark this forum read" link in the "Forum Tools" menu on the top when you browse a forum. The reason for that the unread/read icons screws up, are - as I mentioned - the servertime beihg 12 hours late. It will be fixed ASAP.

3. Quick reply should be enabled by default and quotes should be handled the old way(we post more often without a quote than we do with a quote).
                  Quick Reply IS enabled by default. You just gotta click one little button, to show what post you are answearing to. I didn't get that Quote part. What do you mean?

Comment

I think he means we should be able to just type a message, and have it added to the end of the thread automatically.
                    The quick reply button in posts should only be clicked if we wanted to quote a post.

Comment

Change is hard sometimes, but this is needed.

Comment

Come on, lazy taffers. It's only one click! Easier than back on the tut-forums, when you had to actually click on the "Reply" button, then load up a new page, and then write the message.

Btw, spoilers are 1337

Comment

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
                          Yes, and? Is that ugly? I think it's neat.
                          Looks wrong to me, too big. Not to mention it's putting more emphasis on the poster and not what they've written.

There is a "Mark this forum read" link in the "Forum Tools" menu on the top when you browse a forum.
                          Sure, make me click on a link(thought it was a menu that should drop down when mouse is hovering over it and not working properly in Opera).

Quick Reply IS enabled by default. You just gotta click one little button, to show what post you are answearing to. I didn't get that Quote part. What do you mean?
                          Misunderstanding: what I mean is, that the quick reply should be enabled to allow you to type in whatever you want, without clicking on one little link, as if you'd hit the reply button, while quotes should be handled like they were at the old board for easy editing of the quotes(you can't edit a quote using quick reply). EDIT: MB has it right.

agreed
                          Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Originally posted by Salvage
                            Looks wrong to me, too big(1.5x normal text would be good, it looks to be around 2x normal text). Not to mention it's putting more emphasis on the poster and not what they've written.
                            Seeing how there currently aren't any avatars, i think the name size makes up for it.

Comment

Sure, make me click on a link(thought it was a menu that should drop down when mouse is hovering over it and not working properly in Opera).
                              That's strange. The dhtml menues have been optimized for all browsers, and it sure works in my Opera. Have never seen this problem reported over at the vBulletin.com forums either, but I'll look into it.

Misunderstanding: what I mean is, that the quick reply should be enabled to allow you to type in whatever you want, without clicking on one little link, as if you'd hit the reply button, while quotes should be handled like they were at the old board for easy editing of the quotes(you can't edit a quote using quick reply).
                              You can't edit quotes from the quick reply box, for obvious reasons. If you click on the Quote image in a post, you are taken to a new page where you can edit the quote as much as you want to.

Comment

Working...
                              X