Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring back the avatars

_NM_
    Last edited by -=V12US=-; 19 May 2004, 04:23 PM. Reason: OLO im a stupid person

Did you not read m0dE's reply about the avatars? Bottom line, cost money.

To go over things again, read this.

But did you delete my avatar then?
    Yes, the link you had provided in your usercp on the old phpBB board to a remote avatar, is not brought over. The reason for this is that vB doesn't support remote avatars, mainly for security reasons.

So how do I get an avatar then?
    There are of course an avatar system in vB. But instead of using remote avatars, the user have to upload the avatar to the forums, which means that the avatar is hosted here on BlackCatGames.com. Right now, the option to upload avatars for users is disabled. The reason for this is that we do have a bandwidth cap, and we need to measure the bandwidth usage before we allow you to upload avatars. Sorry, but we can't afford to spend more bandwidth than we're allowed to.

We know that personal avatars is an element that makes the forums more spicy, and if we find out that we can't do the hosting of avatars, we'll implement a hack that makes the users able to specify a remote link. Don't worry, we're working on it, and it won't be long until you'll get this feature back.

Comment

I think with the new functions on this forum that the avator size could be more generous if we end up hosting them OUTSIDE of the forum. People now have the option to not see avatars and sigs to save bandwidth, what WOULD be handy would be the option to not see a SPECIFIC persons avatar, that way if somebody has a particully big picture you can select not to see it.
      ~TuF~

Comment

I'm not saying that you're not getting back avatars, I'm saying that we need to monitor the bandwidth usage for a while.

A petition won't help here, cause I already know how much you want it. We'll figure something out, really.

Comment

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
          I'm not saying that you're not getting back avatars, I'm saying that we need to monitor the bandwidth usage for a while.

A petition won't help here, cause I already know how much you want it. We'll figure something out, really.
          Awww mode, your so tight!
          ~TuF~

Comment

I wouldn't call mode tight, I would call him practicle and realistic. You wanna cough up the cash for extra bandwidth?

Hopefully yes, a solution will be found for the missing avatar's.

Comment

Avatars on external sites sounds good to me... We always have the public tut server for that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenArts
                Did you not read m0dE's reply about the avatars? Bottom line, cost money.

To go over things again, read this.

But did you delete my avatar then?
                Yes, the link you had provided in your usercp on the old phpBB board to a remote avatar, is not brought over. The reason for this is that vB doesn't support remote avatars, mainly for security reasons.

So how do I get an avatar then?
                There are of course an avatar system in vB. But instead of using remote avatars, the user have to upload the avatar to the forums, which means that the avatar is hosted here on BlackCatGames.com. Right now, the option to upload avatars for users is disabled. The reason for this is that we do have a bandwidth cap, and we need to measure the bandwidth usage before we allow you to upload avatars. Sorry, but we can't afford to spend more bandwidth than we're allowed to.

We know that personal avatars is an element that makes the forums more spicy, and if we find out that we can't do the hosting of avatars, we'll implement a hack that makes the users able to specify a remote link. Don't worry, we're working on it, and it won't be long until you'll get this feature back.
                I edited my post like 5 minutes after I posted it. That's why it reads NM, as in 'nevermind').

Comment

Got it Virus.

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
                    Avatars on external sites sounds good to me...
                    Sure.

Thing is, vBulletin doesn't support remote avatars at this time being. I, and many others, have requested this as a feature in vB 3.1. I've also requested a 'hack', but still haven't got any quality scripts.

Comment

I kinda like it without all that visual spam...
                      One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
                      -
                      The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Chainsaws
                        So do I. So let's just hope that everyone get used to it, and completly forget about it.

Comment

I think avatars are visually useful when scrolling down pages, but best at a small size like 64 x 64 pixels.

Comment

Originally posted by Nachimir
                            I think avatars are visually useful when scrolling down pages, but best at a small size like 64 x 64 pixels.
                            I think the large usernames makes up for that now that I'm getting used to them.

Plus I get really confused where everyone spring cleans their avatars
                            One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
                            -
                            The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Chainsaws
                              Originally posted by mOdEtWo
                              So do I. So let's just hope that everyone get used to it, and completly forget about it.
                              Gee, lucky for you, vBulletin has a feature that allows you to turn them off! So everyone can have what they want!

Comment

Working...
                              X