Product Placement and Computer Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product Placement and Computer Games

Here's a thought that scares most gamers, even though it's already happening:

"One potential business model would be 'product placement,' where advertisers pay to have their brand attached to items in the world, There (Nike, Levi's) and The Sims (McDonalds) have already taken the first steps in this direction. If that business model takes off, it will have profound consequences on the kinds of games that are available. One of the reasons you see very few Westerns on TV anymore is that it's almost impossible to use them as vehicles for product placement. Something similar could happen to these games, where any setting that was incompatible with putting Coke machines in the background was unusable on any significant scale."
    Dave Rickey
    Lead Designer Mutable Realms
    Developer of WISH

Kinda makes you wonder if the Thievery dev team got paid for product placement by Dr Pepper....

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

Sony Ericson is written all over the bloody game... Most notably the main menu.

Comment

This has been around for ages, little subtle inclusions in games as far back as the c64.
      ~TuF~

Comment

It will get more and more

Comment

I think that whatever can make money, and whatever people really want will be produced no matter what, just as it has been in the past, even without product placements. For instance, The Lord of the Rings movies: They obviously didn't have any product placements, and they obviously made a ridiculous amount of money. I believe that if ever a whole bunch of gaming companies produced only sports games then other companies would realize that if they made a different game then they would be extremely popular, and then other companies would hop on the bandwagon, so really it would just balance itself out. I think that not having product placements could signify a company as one who is passionate about their genre and passionate about what people really want. So I really don't think it will ever be a problem.
          Predator
          Black Cat Games Modeler
          Black Cat Games
          Nightblade
          Thievery

Comment

It might botch up a few promising games though. Think how many car games which have used real car models do not have cars taking damage, because it's not good publicity or advertising or something to see these sports cars get dented.

The same thing could happen if a certain game needs to get funding from product placement and then Nike or whatever decides that their products cannot be used in a game that is "wrong", be that violence, immorality, improper political message or bad language.
            My cats are black! How about yours?

Comment

Originally posted by Predator
              For instance, The Lord of the Rings movies: They obviously didn't have any product placements,...
              Oh yeah?

Comment

Here, also.
                Nightmaster,
                .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

True, forgot about that scene...
                  Predator
                  Black Cat Games Modeler
                  Black Cat Games
                  Nightblade
                  Thievery

Comment

Maybe instead of sticking their products in my games, they could send you the products with the game...

I might end up buying another four or five copies of Porche Unleashed.
                    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Predator
                      For instance, The Lord of the Rings movies: They obviously didn't have any product placements, and they obviously made a ridiculous amount of money.
                      Pfft,everyone knows Gandalf had some blingin' Nike's on under his robe.

Comment

Frodo had some obvious bling bling happening.

Werd
                        Nightmaster,
                        .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                        - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

yeah sam had some blng bling going on in return of the king.
                          I have sex with my hand!

Comment

Which makes less sense, his post or his sig?

Comment

I think that if you understood one you could understand the other so they make the same amount of sense. BUT, do you want to understand them?
                              Conformity is the refuge of the unimaginative, the dull and the stupid
                              The internet based realm of Decompiler

Comment

Working...
                              X