Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A DM addict needs your help... Ghosting tips are in need.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A DM addict needs your help... Ghosting tips are in need.

After playing thievery for a week, I realised this. I am a DM addict. I have tried to break the addiction... I tried to ghost, but whenever I try to ghost, the following happens:

A guard spots me for whatever reason, and I run to a large dark area. No matter what I do to get away, I either die, or use up all my speeds/invis/heals. This greatly frustrates me, as more often then not, instead of fleeing, I could just give him a bonkle to the head. Unfortunatly, at that point, I'm no longer ghosting. I'm waiting for the guard to get back to where I KOed him to KO him again... And again... And again...

What should I do if I'm in a dark area, and I am spotted? Or, what should I do if I'm in a small area (several rooms connected by doorways)? And, lastly, is it worth it to put torches out?

It does get kinda boring when everyone is whining after I preform the tried and true side-step bonkle-on head tactic.

If you really want to do hardcore ghosting, you just have to learn about where guards are likely to look. For example, I once saw Grank escape three or four guards on Nostalgia by running up the handrail by the "fire escape" to the roof -- I don't think any of them had even guessed where he went, they just flare-scanned the outdoor area for a while, got bored and went back in.

Comment

I do attempt to utilise these tactics - hiding directly in front of the guard as he spams tag bolts around me. The problem comes, is I constantly get cut off by the tags/the guard begins fire spam. That, or I hide in the shadow, and have 4 guards with flares on my neck before I can say: Crap...

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary
        I do attempt to utilise these tactics - hiding directly in front of the guard as he spams tag bolts around me. The problem comes, is I constantly get cut off by the tags/the guard begins fire spam. That, or I hide in the shadow, and have 4 guards with flares on my neck before I can say: Crap...
        Not to mention random flare scanning guards and shadow slashers... jeah I know what you're going through, I suffered the same problem back when I ghosted. Then I decided I was a crappy pure ghoster and I should go hybrid...

Seriously, hybrid thieving works best in all situations. As everyone probably knows by now, I allways buy a sword and health pots instead of the hardcore ghoster invis, catfall, speed loadout... but that doesn't make me a DM'er yet...
        Basically, I try to avoid combat, yet I will remove defenseless AI to give myself a strategical advantage, next I move in on the objectives, trying not to get seen, and depending on how well it is guarded, I will choose to either attack the guards, or make a mad dash towards the objective and grab it before they realise what is going on... It is just using the best method to get the objectives, if I have to kill or KO guards to get it, then so be it... but don't you dare call me a DMer.

I'm sick of people calling me a DM'er just because I kill a guard or two (or three, or four...). I only do it because you guards guard/camp the objective so much, that you don't leave me another choice... seriously, how do you expect me to get the Book in the bookhouse by ghosting when theres 5 AI in there, tons of trops, mines and whistlers and several humans jumping around... is it so bad to snipe then? I figure mordengaard (sorry if I have the wrong mapper) put the rafters in just for that purpose... so calling me a DMer is bullshit, when the mapper created the map that way...

And then the KO'ing... granted, I did KO alot... but I'm trying to cut down on it. Generally, when I KO a human now, it's either a selfdefense KO (when theres absolutely no other option, and running will most likely get you killed) or a panic KO, in which case I was trying to sneak up behind an AI and a human guard suddenly runs through a door right at me...

I do suggest to everyone that you try playing without a loadout every once in a while. Including no usage of the bow or blackjack... It really enhances your ability to outsmart the guards using nothing but your surroundings, making you less Item dependant.

Comment

Just do what I do, KO only what you need to. That way you eliminate pesky gaurds bothering you, but you don't get whining. I still get 5+ KOs sometimes, but that's only on maps like Gerome, where the dumb gaurds just keep scanning the rooves and fall... one by one... by one... by one...

I TRY to not KO too much, maybe 2 or so a match, sometimes none, whatever I need.
          The only constant is change.
          (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

firstly KO's dont equal dm-er in my opinion a maniac with a sword how ever is what I count as a DM-er Although I mainly ghost. Ok you want to be a true ghoster there are a few simple rules to follow.

1) TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!! while most thieves rush into a place and get slaughtered-go for stealth unless your about to be killed in which case run like crazy back to spawn or into areas with lots of doors u can shut in the faces of guards. you take your time and hide alot you end up as the last thief alive because no one see's you.

2) How ever tempting dont ko- if a guard is running past you just sit tight unless they chuck a flare at you- I have seen guards go running past flare in hand lighting me up to 100% visibility and they never notice me because I sat tight and never moved.

3) yes it is worth while to put out torches-the more shadows the more guards will look where u last were which gives u a big shadow space to run like mad away.

4) If you get tagged thats the time to run in zig zags and with your speed.

5) When you become a true ghoster there will be no need for health potions- almost all the maps have some food on for health- and if you get fully caught all the health potions in the world wont stop you being slaughtered.

but one of the best rules is.....

6) Run when you gotta.
            [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

I actively hunt down guards. Aniticipate them, watch them, KO them.

I win often doing this.

Comment

These are some great tips, everyone (except Yenzarill)! I'm gonna collect this thread and put it with the other links I give to newbies.
                "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

hehe, Buho: TUT's PR chairman

I agree with the not buying any health potions. I figure if I'm caught in a position where I lose enough health to need one, chances are I'm going to die anyway. I think it's better to get an invisible or a speed instead.
                  Just a newbie's thoughts....
                  me videre non potes, occultatione gero....
                  [You can't see me, I'm wearing camouflage....]
                  -CaligoIpsa

Comment

Originally posted by CaligoIpsa
                    hehe, Buho: TUT's PR chairman

I agree with the not buying any health potions. I figure if I'm caught in a position where I lose enough health to need one, chances are I'm going to die anyway. I think it's better to get an invisible or a speed instead.
                    Just a newbie's thoughts....
                    Wrong, I couldn't count how many times I've been attacked and I managed to escape with just a sliver of health left... Normally, you wouldn't be able to do much, but with my 3 health potions I have myself patched up to a safer amount of health in no time.

It really is like having a second bonus life.

Comment

I don't agree that thieves who use a sword are DM thieves. They CAN be, but it can be an excellent strategy:

I was camping the chapel in DE and I think Elfie was guarding the tower above me, ready to snipe any thief he could spot. I was right in front of the altar with my 'mines and tagbolts' loadout. Two or 3 dead thieves later, I spot a thief sneaking up to the priest's office, and tagbolt him. He grabs his sword! Well, I take out mine and proceed to put the smackdown on him, while his buddy(!) proceeds to loot the place. The sword thief and myself both die as a result of this, but I had fun, and could care less that someone used a sword on me...it was a great strategy and by getting another thief kill, it meant I was actually winning.

When I am a thief, I understand that my life is more valuable to me than a guards life is to him. If he dies, he will get another loadout. If I die, he gets my potions and I lose one of my precious few respawns, if any. I have no qualms about taking out an easy target, to force the human players to earn their thief kills.

Kiech
                      Kiech

Comment

I think you probably mean SkeltstonHead there.

But teh smart thief with a sword would have repeatedly blocked you if you were using a sword, not attacking, until the buddy with a blackjack could get behind you and take you out. Then they'd both have survived, and could have looted the chapel (and other areas) together.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat

But teh smart thief with a sword would have repeatedly blocked you if you were using a sword, not attacking, until the buddy with a blackjack could get behind you and take you out. Then they'd both have survived, and could have looted the chapel (and other areas) together.
                          He tried to block. And failed. But I still admire the distraction techniuqe greatly.

Kiech
                          Kiech

Comment

Originally posted by Kiech Bepho
                            He tried to block. And failed. But I still admire the distraction techniuqe greatly.
                            LOL! From your description, it sounded like he was just attacking you!

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                              Really? I thought he was talking about Korman. The priest's office is what made me think that, and the balcony overlooking the church's altar.

And Mercenary, I ghost all the time, and I just have two tips for you. The first is if you're seen, run. But you need to run PAST where the guards will think you are. If you're close to a big shadow, run through it and find something further along. That way while the guards search the big shadow, you're already gone.

The second tip is to take it slow and don't get excited. Shadow slashers, although it seems hard, are very easy to foil. I can take on two and three shadow slashers in a fairly small shadow (take on meaning not be found). When you don't KO them and they don't find you, they assume you're gone, and you can resume thieving WITHOUT them having any idea that you're there. They've already moved on, and you can gather loot with ease.

Comment

Working...
                              X