Looking for a keybind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a keybind

This is the first online FPS I have played since...well since Duke Nukem 3D. I am completly lost as to what settings to use for my keybinds. I am very used to using my numberpad for all my movements, and my left hand for everything else. I can't do it anymore with this game...it just goes too fast. Does anyone have a keybind list that they could give me? I need a setup for a mouse with 2 buttons and a wheel.

Thanks,

Kiech
    Kiech

Is the wheel a third button?

Comment

Originally posted by Kiech Bepho
      This is the first online FPS I have played since...well since Duke Nukem 3D. I am completly lost as to what settings to use for my keybinds. I am very used to using my numberpad for all my movements, and my left hand for everything else. I can't do it anymore with this game...it just goes too fast. Does anyone have a keybind list that they could give me? I need a setup for a mouse with 2 buttons and a wheel.

Thanks,

Kiech
      Here's my Keyboard layout, before you look at it and think "weirdo" you should know that this basic layout is used by over 75% of all online FPS people.

First point, if you are righthanded, you should use your left hand for movement. This is because your right hand is more accurate, and thus is better suited to control the mouse instead.

Basic keyboard movement:
      w = forward
      s = backpedal, reverse
      a = strafe left
      d = strafe right
      ctrl = crouch
      space = jump

The strafing takes a while to get used to, but it is absolutely neccesary to be effective in fps games. Trust me, you'll love it once you get used to it, it allows for much faster reactions. You'll use your mouse to turn sideways instead anyway...
      Another reason this setup is superior to the arrow keys, is that the number keys (1, 2, 3, etc.), or, the weapon selection keys are right over your left hand, so you can select a weapon rapidly, without having to let go of either movement or mouse for too long.

Basic mouse layout:
      Button 1: Fire weapon.
      Button 2: Frob, use inv. item.
      Scroll wheel: Scroll through inventory.

I suggest you set your mouse scroll speed to 7.00 just to get used to mouse movement in the beginning, once you get better at using the mouse and your accuracy starts to improve try using a higher number. Mine is at 13.00 at the moment. If you think 7.00 is too slow or too fast you can set the movement to whatever number you like. But remember, you have to make a compromise with either High accuracy (in TUT's case this is the ability to quickly frob doors and buttons when you try to escape, or throwing a flashbomb in a guards face, or in a guards case, to use the crossbow efficiently), or fast camera movement (IE. looking around, making fast turns and the like).

Thievery Custom buttons:
      Lean left: Q
      Lean right: E
      Buy loadout/vote: F
      Drop: R
      Item hotkey #1/2/3: Z/X/C
      Map: M
      Objectives: O

These are the least important keys, you can use whatever keys you like for these, as long as you don't need to lift your hand to use the important ones (you'll use lean and the item shortcuts alot).

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
        It is. I don't think its the same model, but it looks like this:

Kiech

Comment

Oh dear. A trackball....

The wheel on that one IS a third button. I have that one. If you're using logitech's mouseware software, use it to set it to "middle mouse", and you'll be able to use it ingame. I have my wheel button set to "clear item".

You may want to invest in an actual mouse, though. I only know one person who uses a trackball for an fps game successfully.

Comment

OK. Looks like some good stuff. What do you use for walking? Or do you hold down the shift key when you run? And I know it's buggy, but what about leaning forward?

I don't think I have my old mouse anymore. I am going to have to use the trackball for now at least. I am pretty used to using it now...maybe I can take to it.
            Kiech

Comment

Oh dear. A trackball....

The wheel on that one IS a third button. I have that one. If you're using logitech's mouseware software, use it to set it to "middle mouse", and you'll be able to use it ingame. I have my wheel button set to "clear item".

You may want to invest in an actual mouse, though. I only know one person who uses a trackball for an fps game successfully.
              Don't shoot him down too quickly, I played Quake once with a trackball and It's quite effective.

I too reccommend using WSAD for movement, I've got the following bound to other stuff

r = invis
              t = speed
              f = Flashbomb/flare (depending which team i'm on)
              c = catfall
              SHIFT = TOGGLE duck
              alt = HOLD walk
              space = holster weapon
              z = clear inventory

Set some keys up, practice in SP till they arn't 'CONTROLS' anymore, and they become more 'INSTINCIVE' (i.e. you don't actually think when you press the keys "which key am i pressing"

you should be thinking "I want to run jump mount that wall then catfall over the other side" when you execute these movements your fingers move without thought and hit the right keys....

...I'm so majestic for a Machine. 8)
              ~TuF~

Comment

I don't think I have my old mouse anymore. I am going to have to use the trackball for now at least. I am pretty used to using it now...maybe I can take to it.
                Personally, I'm fond of Logitech mice. Head to www.logitech.com to take a look at their selection.

Comment

Personally, I'm fond of Logitech mice. Head to www.logitech.com to take a look at their selection.
                  LOL...where do you think I got the pic?
                  Kiech

Comment

LOL...where do you think I got the pic?
                    Coulda been from anywhere. You know how many reviews have pics in them? Or retail sites? And so on.....

Comment

Curunir and I use the same basic config:

f = forward
                      x=strafe left
                      v=strafe right
                      c=back

Note: this position is great because you have a whole row above your fingers, plus F (forward) has a bump on it, on most keyboards, so its easy to find in the dark (who doesn't play thief in the dark? )

Since he started playing AA though, he's diverged on some of the specifics beyond that. Mine are:

z=jump
                      r=run
                      t=lean forward
                      e=lean left
                      y=lean right

I think he changed his lean keys to z and b among other things, but I'm not positive.

Comment

I use a trackball! But it's the symmetrical one, as I am left-handed.

For FPS games it works fine for me. Being left-handed, I can fill the numeric keypad with keybinds and fit more within comfortable reach than trying to use the keyboard with its mis-aligned rows.

But for AOK:TC (Age of Kings: The Conquerors) I have trouble. The keys to jump to "named" units are inflexibly set to the number keys across the top of the keyboard. Thus my right hand must jump from those keys to the numeric keypad shortcuts. I'm about to abandon the numeric keypad and make new AOK:TC keybinds on the main keyboard.

Comment

I used the WASD keybinds, as there's no other way to switch weapons nearly fast enough to make the game playable without re-binding all the weapons.

Also, I turned off "invert mouse." I can't imagine why that would be on by default.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips everyone! So far I am doing OK with the trackball and binds, but I still have a ways to go with it.

Kiech
                            Kiech

Comment

recommend an Analog gamepad such as:

or just a simple gravis gamepad.

Left hand on joystick shown above operates the following:

Y axis to walk back and forward,
                              Set X axis to strafe

On top of my Gamepad (in picture) I have 2 buttons L1 and L2.
                              L3 is the button when u push down the actual analog stick
                              And one button on the bottom side of the controller L4.

L1 = Jump
                              L2 = Lean Left
                              L3 = Lean Right
                              L4 = Crouch

Analog stick is nice.. gets rid of the need to hold CTRL to sneak.

Right side of controller is unused since my right hand is on mouse. (I would use it but the right analog stick is not supported in this game so i cant free look.)

Right Hand operates the following

LeftMouse=Fire
                              RightMouse=frob
                              MiddleMouse=ThSwitchWeapon 2 or ThSwitchWeapon 1
                              (sets the middle wheel button to pull either BJ or Sword depending if I am T or G. I set it in my XXXBind.txt file and bind the exec ThiefBind.txt or GuardBind.txt command to my NumPad0 key to run it. It's the Most useful bind I have ... it's so i dont have to remove my hand and go all the way to the 1 key or 2 key in the middle of a confrontation, i can do it right from the mouse, much more useful than 'clear item')

Next Item = MouseWheelUp
                              Prev Item = MouseWheelDown

I also just set up my 4th and 5th mouse buttons to act as 'Home' and 'End' keys and I am testing out binding them to Potions.. still working on what i want to do with those.

Great tool to use for that is 'Browser Mouse'. Search for that on the internet to use it. I think it works with most 5 button PS/2 and USB mice.

Comment

Working...
                              X