X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • assassin
    • Jan 2003

The need for a league

We as a community need t esablish a league.
    UT has a bunch ie. http://ladder.iglnet.com
    that are run very well ppl still have scrims but the main focus is in challenging and moving up your clans standings on the ladder.
    and when someone becomes the leader * then they have to defend the title. we need to come up with a collective set of rules.
    that the leaders agree on and set them down somewere after a few matches we can revise it.
    i know this has sorta been said befor but im bringing it up no more wining about BJing or DMers. enough lets start making this big!
    like it should be and let the Devs decide to change anything if they so choose. OK good.
    now lets get working on this we need Admins that can be in charge of keeping tract of who is where on the standings
    we need somekinda point system. and so on
    LR did a good job on the temp. rules now lets finalize them.

* you know its gonna be ToB
    An open mind is like a fortress, with its gates unbarred and and guarded
  • act smiley
    • Jan 2003

I already started one, ( http://actsmiley.vectorstar.net/stl ) but signups have been pretty quiet.
    Nobody trust me or something?

LR's Turfwars Tournament looks pretty good, but that just wouldn't work for a league system. The thing I'm using for STL has worked before, because its very similar to the ones used in quite a few other leagues.

Comment

• Chainsaws
      • Jan 2003

I think I scared them all away by joining first because as they all know...

My Thievery Skillz > All Yours

Nuff Said. :twisted:
      One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
      -
      The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

• act smiley
        • Jan 2003

Sorry for posting, it normally causes a thread to die :?
        What I don't get is how everyone is really hyped up about getting a league, yet when I start one up (two in fact - its got 1v1 thiefmatch AND guildplay) nobody gives a toss :? - its because I'm not in any major guild or anything, isn't it?

Comment

• Chainsaws
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by act smiley
          its because I'm not in any major guild or anything, isn't it?
          That's probably an advantage for you (stops accusations of fixing).

Also, what I said earlier about my skillz

Come on guys! SIGN UP! Does no-one dare challenge me?!! :grin:
          it's not like I'm any good at thiefmatch really, I don't even have a proper loadout set for it....
          -

Comment

• Chainsaws
            • Jan 2003

Oh yeah! You could put a link to the website in your sig like I've done to adver-whore it all over the forums :grin:
            -

Comment

• Kiech Bepho
              • Jan 2003

I wouldn't let this get you down. I am sure its nothing personal. Myself, I haven't signed up for any group, and won't until I get to the point where I don't completely stink at thievery. Most seem to be waiting for 1.3 to come out since there will be many gameplay changes. That and we already have Turfwars. Wait till 1.3 comes out, then try your league idea again. Timing is everything.

Kiech
              Kiech

Comment

• act smiley
                • Jan 2003

The thing is, there's no reason why a team couldn't be in both Turfwars and STL, as there's no minimum amount of matches that must be played in STL.
                The whole problem with Thievery right now is that everyone is just "oh... we can't have a game NOW... 1.3 might change something and then we'd suck and be lower than if we were on it after 1.3..." rather than "wahey, a league - regular, enjoyable games between teams rather than hit-and-miss public games... lets go get some!"
                Timing is nothing. Image is everything. :?

Comment

• Kiech Bepho
                  • Jan 2003

Ok then. Here's a thought. Don't give anyone a choice to be in the league or not. Put them all in. Start recording their scores and posting the rankings. There is going to be a game soon between RLF and EDG, a good place to start as any. Record eveyones guild match. When the rankings start showing some results, different guilds will want to actively participate, and will ensue more challenges. Once you have their participation, declare a play-off series to see who the best of the best is.

Or just be mad that no one is taking to your idea at this time. Whatever works for you.

Kiech
                  Kiech

Comment

• act smiley
                    • Jan 2003

The problem with doing that is that friendlies are often set up to completely different rule sets. The whole purpose of using a dedicated league system is to even that out.

Comment

• Kiech Bepho
                      • Jan 2003

This isn't a regular game though. You can't treat this as some typical Quake ladder - it would never work. This won't be your parent's ladder system. You may have to assign point totals to AI difficulty, any starting loot changes, teams that handicap themselves, and other changes that are going to happen due to this unique game. Not to mention that you will need to divide the statistics for Guards/Thieves due to the only guard/only steal guilds.

So the ball is in your court, Act Smiley. Do as you will.

Kiech
                      Kiech

Comment

• act smiley
                        • Jan 2003

Well, okay, I no longer feel that the inactivity of it is caused by any "he's not in a guild, he doesn't matter" feeling but
                        "we're ABOVE having a ladder... we want a complete dynamic ranking system with more bells whistles and flashy lights 'cos we is alternativ and alternativ is cooool."

However, I would take advice to the rules from people who signed up for it, if there were any. I can understand the problem with guard and thief only guilds - The current rules allow groups such as RLF/Wraith to switch players in and out for the rounds, but things such as loot amounts altering points just seem to be an attempt to just get extra bells and whistles. Current rules say defaults should be used, though I'll consider any reccomendations I get from members. If you want to make a difference to the way it works, sign up first - I have to say that I listen more to constructive criticism from people who want a better service than people who whine and throw their toys out the pram because they aren't perfect.

Its not treated like some typical Quake ladder, its based around an adapted ruleset from Euro Flashpoint League, which is a game where you could have said a similar thing of "a Quake style ladder wouldn't work", but thanks to some good admins it has. I'm not saying I'm great, or even that I'm up to the task - I just don't know until something begins to happen, but just that its possible.

Comment

• Chainsaws
                          • Jan 2003

I don't see any need to alter scores based on starting loot, handicaps etc.

Teams may have their own rules but at the end of the day they both agree to play on those rules because it makes their individual game more balanced for them.

Therefore, each game is the same and should be scored the same...
                          -

Comment

Working...
                          X