Thief DS : The importance of Loot glint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thief DS : The importance of Loot glint

This is for all the Hardcore-Loot-finders out there who claim to find any Loot without need of Loot glint (ohoho!)

First, as a warmup, and to display things arent always black n' white and that finding loot in previous Thief games wasnt that easy too sometimes :

Find the l00t! :

Sooo, you got it? Then lets move on.

Find the l00t in Thief DS! :

That wasnt so hard too, was it?

(Btw the somewhat reduced health in the first pic is the result of "sneaking" at a guard "TDS-Style" :joke: )
    My leet Thievery Map
    My leet UT3 Map
    My leet AS Map

On the other hand, when a freak like me takes only 3 playthroughs to fully loot an area, when it took me god-only-knows-over-a-dozen games to loot Truart's, there's something wrong.

Comment

I think the loot glint is somewhat realistic. After all, your supposed to be seeing things through garretts eyes. So after being a master thief for however long, wouldn't it cause valuables to catch your eye and stand out among other things?

The only problem with it as I can see, is the distance. It'd be awesome if the glint only takes effect when your a few feet away from the object, so that you'd have to look for the loot, but when your near, you can tell it apart from the useless stuff.

Kinda strange the way loot flashes at you like a freakin beacon (rhymeage) when it's quite far away.
      I know how concrete is made... Squirrels!

Comment

That machanical eye is great.
        formerly littlek

Comment

Originally posted by Firetiger5
          The only problem with it as I can see, is the distance. It'd be awesome if the glint only takes effect when your a few feet away from the object, so that you'd have to look for the loot, but when your near, you can tell it apart from the useless stuff.
          You have summed up everything that I thought was wrong with loot glint, but couldn't put in a coherent thought.

Comment

Loot glint is merely the symptom. The real bugger is they were obviously unable/too lazy (for what reason whatever) to make some extra loot models.

Eidos Corporate Dude : WAHT! GAME NOT FINISHED YET! UAGH!

3d-Modeler : We still need some extra loot models...

Eidos Corporate Dude : Meh, just take some of the existing models, slap some shitty tiny ornamental crap onto it and give it some weather beacon Bling-effect, thats enough to tell its loot.

3d-Modeler : Thats the most halfassed shit i ever heard of.

Eidos Corporate Dude : So what? We need this thing hitting the Box as long as the Splinter Cell Stealth hype is at its highest! No time wasting on some more bugfixing or work on details. If its gonna be mediocre those ADS-XBox kiddies will forget about it soon enough anyway..and teh MONEYYY will be ours!111!1 Worked for Tomb Raider too, eh!

3d-Modeler : But what about the PC FAnbase?

Eidos Corporate Dude : MIT-Grades arent one of our target audiences. Oh im having a GREAT idea for a commercial right now! "I have the power to take anything from you...INCLUDING YOUR DEADLY SHADOWS" - OoOoOoOh that'll get me promoted!

....Hmmm....im getting somewhat prone to ranting lately...
            My leet Thievery Map
            My leet UT3 Map
            My leet AS Map

Comment

But is probably a much bigger job programming in loot glint than making a few new models.

Comment

Wouldnt bet on that. But its clear that there were obviously the same models used, god knows why. And then trying to fix that design flaw with another design flaw goes above my understanding. There is unique looking loot around, but without the "BLING-BLING-IM-LOOT"-effect the majority would simply be overlooked coz it looks exactly like common clutter.
                My leet Thievery Map
                My leet UT3 Map
                My leet AS Map

Comment

Originally posted by Subjective Effect
                  But is probably a much bigger job programming in loot glint than making a few new models.
                  pfff, bs. you just add a Cull-Distance, like distance fog or cull distances on static meshes. not hard to to do at all. the art -- the models -- take longer.

considering there are a total of what, ten different loot types in DS, it frustrates me that they couldnt fit more. there could and should easily be fifty loot models. it's not like they were trying to skimp on space for the discs, anyway. its 3 Gb.
                  "Tyler sold his soap to department stores at $20 a bar. Lord knows what they charged. It was beautiful. We were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them."

Comment

Originally posted by Schleicher
                    Wouldnt bet on that. But its clear that there were obviously the same models used, god knows why. And then trying to fix that design flaw with another design flaw goes above my understanding. There is unique looking loot around, but without the "BLING-BLING-IM-LOOT"-effect the majority would simply be overlooked coz it looks exactly like common clutter.
                    My point exactly. I've spent three fricking hours in the Captain's Mansion, with something like 76% of the loot. On expert... Aparrently, some freak didn't give the majority of the items that I didn't find that tingle, hence I obviously overlooked them.

Comment

I've had the same problem. On most of the maps, I got to 89%, then had to spend an hour combing the map for that last 1%, which I had missed from relying on the loot glint.
                      <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Comment

Dont worry, as far as i know theres only one piece of loot without glint in the game : In the Jacknalls Paw Mission, second part, in the Shamans room where you get the instructions for the ritual and the special golden comb, above the bed
                        My leet Thievery Map
                        My leet UT3 Map
                        My leet AS Map

Comment

The loot glint is there for all loot, except maybe the one Schleicher remarked on. You just have to stop and look at the loot for a few seconds and it will bling.
                          Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Working...
                          X