Graphics Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics Cards

Ok, I'm about to buy a new GC to replace my GeForce4 MX...

I'm thinking of going with another GeForce for now and wait on the ATI 9800 Pro AIW to go down in price a bit, but I haven't kept up with GeForce lately.

Has anyone heard much about the FX series? I've only read a few things and haven't heard much about them, though I did hear that they were an upset so I'm hesitant to buy one. I may just end up buying a GeForce4 Ti and save my money until I get my ATI.

For those that have played TS, what graphics card did you use and how was the performance?
    Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
    "Dream is Destiny"
    Waking Life

-------------
    1.7 ghz Athlon XP+
    1 gig DDR
    Asus MoBo
    Hercules 3d Prophet 9600 Pro (ATI chipset) (128mb)
    Hercules Muse XL soundcard
    -------------

Thief DS runs fine on mine, The bottleneck in my system is the processer, the card is awsome, had very few problems with it.
    ~TuF~

Comment

Well I'm waiting on buying the ATI card because I want a 9800 Pro AIW, and I'm trying to keep the price tag below $75 or so.

Are the Geforce4 Ti series a better buy than the FX series? Or are they pretty much the same?
      Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
      "Dream is Destiny"
      Waking Life

Comment

You can get ATI cards for that price to you know

Comment

I'll stick with Nvidia, better support.

Comment

I got myself a GF FX 5200 for 90$. Couldn't afford any better... but TDS runs very well on it anyway.
            JM

Comment

IMO.
              ATM the Radeon 9800 Pro is alot more cheaper than the similar nvidia card. Personally I would not go bellow a Radeon 9800 Pro or a FX 5900 since you can buy a cheap card that will at least hold on for another year and a half.
              Feel the power of the

Comment

I have a geforce 4 ti4200 graphics card and it runs ut2004 fine plus it runs thief DS demo just fine.
                I just need more cpu power i think. 1.6ghz p4.

you should be able to get the ti4600 at a fair reasonable price now also which is a better card.
                but I'm happy with mine.

Now if they would make one that keeps browser
                hijackers away it would be worth it at almost any
                price but thats another story...........LOL

Comment

Funny you should say that, as the latest nvidia drivers come with a pop-up blocker (bizarrely):

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_56.72

Comment

I used to be an NVidia all the way person. I have had A GeForce, GeForce 2, and a GeForce 3. I was happy with my cards, and they got the job done, but after switching to ATI I have had no problems whereas my GeForce 3 caused graphical problems in several games.

My Radeon 9800 Pro is doing a great job. Like Machine, the bottleneck in my system is my 1.7 Ghz processor. The only problem I've had with my ATI card is the newest drivers cause some lighting glitches in Thief 3. This is fixed by using some slightly older drivers. ATI released a statement saying they were aware of the problem and would be working with Ion to fix it. So support seems to be there as well.

Comment

The newest line $500 cards by nVidia and ATI benchmark almost exactly the same. In their previous lines though, ATI wins out all the time. Just keep the card you have now and get a radeon 9700, 9800.

Newegg.com has a 9800SE for $130.
                      http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...102-303&depa=0

EDIT: Actually 9600's are also Dx 9.0 compliant, and some of those are actually down towards the $70 mark, but are much slower.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard
                        I used to be an NVidia all the way person. I have had A GeForce, GeForce 2, and a GeForce 3. I was happy with my cards, and they got the job done, but after switching to ATI I have had no problems whereas my GeForce 3 caused graphical problems in several games.

My Radeon 9800 Pro is doing a great job. Like Machine, the bottleneck in my system is my 1.7 Ghz processor. The only problem I've had with my ATI card is the newest drivers cause some lighting glitches in Thief 3. This is fixed by using some slightly older drivers. ATI released a statement saying they were aware of the problem and would be working with Ion to fix it. So support seems to be there as well.

Shup Bio, nvidia rules! :p

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha-Omega
                          DONT BUY A 9800SE!
                          You will be buying a Gf4MX equivalent, if you dont have the cash then wait for a bit longuer for the new cards to settle in and for the older generation prices to go down some more. Buying budget cards of that kind is wasting money IMO.
                          Feel the power of the

Comment

Don't buy a 128 bit version of the 9800 Pro either.
                            Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Originally posted by Antero90
                              DONT BUY A 9800SE!
                              You will be buying a Gf4MX equivalent
                              How come it's a GF4MX equivalent? It has hardware support for DX9, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X