Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news and bad news

*Editted for the new problem*

New problems, just when agga and myself were having a nice conversation something inside my computer burned. I could see everything on the screen and it even moved, yet I could not respond to it because my keyboard anhd mouse weren't responding. I guess the conversation was a bit too hot in the end ... for it burned my power? I'm not sure yet, but I fail to get any power on the computer. If it were my videocard, my hdisk or motherboard I wouldn't be able to see everything that was happening on the screen, so it must be the power. Oh ... and the smell of burned something also gives it away.

I don't know when i'll be back, but this is bad bad bad timing for this to happen, for I have things to deliver to certain people. Ah well ... once I get that thing out the comp ( it's a pain for a newb to get that thing out :p ) i'll buy a new power thing and see how that works. At worse this comp can't be saved ... but I highly doubt that.

Adios for now.
    Last edited by PhaeThorn; 9 Sep 2004, 05:20 PM.
    On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Oh no

Oh Phae, what a bummer. I do have some of your maps, and guess what, I even found Th-Intro. Let me know what you need, I have different versions of various maps. I hope someone else can give you a good answer to help you, other than your mother board, hard drive is taking a crap on ya. Good luck Phae.

Comment

I know BA .... i'll contact you soon enough

BTW could you give my ICQ number to me? I don't have it anymore ( guess why :p )
      On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

Check my profile Phae, it's in there.

Comment

I was talking about my own ICQ number ... but for the first time ever the search worked on the ICQ site, so I have it back now

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

That sucks, Phae. But it's not that much of a problem when you compare it to what happened to me last year. The whole damn thing exploded as I came and launched the computer for the first time in the whole week.

My warranty was over, and it costed my family 900$ to get it back. The only thing that was left untouched was our sucky videocard.
            JM

Comment

That's indeed fucked up hope you'll recover from it very fast ,happend to me once too, lost everything...... . I think you'll have to buy a new one.

Comment

Baah. My PC crapped out on me too. Windows won't even start up half of the time, and when it does, it's very unstable. I need a new motherboard.

Comment

Lurox ... that sucks indeed. But you had the family to help you, which is good . And skull, that bloody avater of yours made me laugh

Thanks

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

Hmm considering myself lucky i guess, all I have
                    is a stupid browser hijacker that won't go away.

Becoming a big fan of mozilla firefox browser. wonderful
                    alternative. I tried opera, but all the toolbars take
                    up 3/4 of the page, don't understand why so many like it. Try mozilla!

sorry to hear that phae, hope you can get it resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by PhaeThorn
                      ... my harddisk deforced me. It obviously wasn't agreeing with everything I did, so it decided to break down. My computer froze and when I rebooted it failed to find some system file. Trying to repair and later even format + reinstall the OS failed. Whenever it tries to connect to my disk it freezes...

Everything I had on the other disk is gone, my works in photography, all my emoticons ( but they're all over the internet ... i'll get those back ) and also all my work on maps, textures and god knows what else. The lost data is my worst part, for I can't replace those for the 100%. Luckilly some testers and friends will have outdated data from me, like a map ... but much work is distroyed nevertheless.
                      Sorry to hear that Phae, but you may still have a chance.

Make sure the two hard drives are setup properly for Master/Slave. There should be some pins on the back that you need to switch around.

I've heard that many people have been able to salvage their data by freezing their hard drive overnight. Yes, put it in the freezer. When you are ready, take it out, install it in the comp, start it up and hopefully you will be able to reclaim your data. You won't have much time to do so as it will warm up quickly, and make sure you have room on the spare hard drive for all of your data.

If you reformatted the hard drive, you may not be able to see the data at all, but an undelete utility may help. There are many available on the net and in utility suites (eg, Norton), find one, install it and test it so it is ready to go when you reinstall the hard drive.

Good luck, and keep us informed of your progress.
                      No Linux, No Choice.
                      Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Originally posted by LeatherMan
                        Make sure the two hard drives are setup properly for Master/Slave. There should be some pins on the back that you need to switch around.
                        Those haven't changed at all. There is good news atm though, I switched the little plastic thingy on the disks, so the 8 gig disk is now the master and the orriginal disk the slave. For some reason I can acces my data now. That is of course good news, very good news. I transferred all my files to the "new" disk now, and i'll keep this formation for the time being. If it all works well i'll leave it as it is. If it doesn't work well ... i'll have to find a better solution.

I also installed FireFox now .... nice themes :p

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

Oh Phae how horrifying! I know how you feel. My boot drive just went out on my old computer and I lost my original TUT and UT installs with all my custom stuff.

Luckily I have a second drive on that computer and was able to copy a bunch of stuff over to it in DOS before having to reformat my old drive.

Now, I have re-installed windows and my graphics card drivers on the first drive, but the second drive is not showing up in windows (shows in CMOS). I have a disk that will re-install the software needed to show the second drive, but part of the installation includes a partition and format of the second drive. Eeek! All of my DromEd map work and a bunch of other stuff is on that second drive. Luckily my niece and nephew bought me a CD-RW drive for Christmas and I have some of the maps copied to a CD. I have a question in to Western Digital to see if there is some way to re-install the second drive without formatting, but no answer yet.
                          You can check out anytime you like, but you can NEVER leave.

Comment

Oh, this has happened to me lots of times. It says a system file is missing, right? Do you have another computer, or a friend's computer?
                            Install your dead one as a secondary drive, boot from theirs, and copy all the work you need to their HD. then, when you get a new HD, you just copy everything back.

I have to do this about once a month because one of my who-konws-how-many computers decides to up and die on me for no reason.
                            "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostly apparition
                              Hmm considering myself lucky i guess, all I have
                              is a stupid browser hijacker that won't go away.
                              Delete the windows help files.

Comment

Working...
                              X