• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buho
    Originally posted by Grank
    Z: - 100MB RamDrive for Temp Internet files
    Cool. Never thought about that.
    It's nice because page loads are faster and everytime I reboot it gets rid of those nasty cookies. If anyone is interested I really like the ram drive this company offers.

www.cenatek.com

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheDog
      First space, eh? Why is that?
      Well, the harddrive can access that area faster than other areas, so it can read the virituel memory quicker than the other partitions.

Comment

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
        First space, eh? Why is that?
        Well, the harddrive can access that area faster than other areas, so it can read the virituel memory quicker than the other partitions.
        Hrm, beginning of 100Gb, end of 100Gb. Good point! Time to reinstall that copy of Partition Magic! :grin:
        How do I easily backup 60GB of data with CD-Rs and an extra 30GB drive? Hrmmm... :?
        BobTheDog says, "Now you've gone too far!"

Comment

How do I easily backup 60GB of data with CD-Rs and an extra 30GB drive?
          Get Norton Ghost 2003, supports many CD-burners in DOS.

Or, you can compress an image to fit your 30 GB's disk. But remember, keet the partition on the image-disk to FAT, make Norton Ghost Bootdisks, so you can restore later if anything bad happends. You can only put an image of a disk to another physical disk, not to another partition on the same disk.

Comment

How do I easily backup 60GB of data with CD-Rs and an extra 30GB drive?
            Get Norton Ghost 2003, supports many CD-burners in DOS.
            I have that, coincidentally. I'd like to do what I can not to spend so much time and so many discs on CD backup. I was thinking of borrowing a DVD-R drive for 14 days at a store.
            BobTheDog says, "Now you've gone too far!"

Comment

Why not buy one? They are pretty cheap these days . . .

Comment

Two HDs: one IBM 40GB 7200rpm (replacement for my old 5400rpm 40 gig drive which broke a few months ago), one Maxtor 75GB 7200rpm (which I bought to backup my stuff before sending the broken drive to IBM).
                The 40GB IBM drive is split into one 5GB NTFS partition only for Win2k, another 10GB NTFS partition for my programs. The remaining 25GBs are yet unused, but will at some point (when I can get off my lazy ass again to deal with the whiny installation) hold a Debian Woody installation.
                The 75GB drive has 5 gigs of unused space in front which I'm too lazy to join with the second 70 gigs. I partitioned the drive in the beginning because I needed some place to put my Win2k installation while I was waiting for the IBM drive to arrive here. The second partition of 70 gigs holds all my stuff. Games, mp3s, you name it.
                Outie

Comment

Why not buy one? They are pretty cheap these days . . .
                  Cheaper than free?

Comment

A: Floppy
                    C: 10GB for Windows
                    D: 70GB for Program files, downloads, etc etc etc
                    E: DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive
                    F: 24X(I think) CD-ROM drive from my last computer

I might need to repartition the D drive in order to install Linux for a college class I'm taking, tho... any suggestions to easily take the last 10 gigs of my D and make into an E drive?
                    me videre non potes, occultatione gero....
                    [You can't see me, I'm wearing camouflage....]
                    -CaligoIpsa

Comment

Originally posted by CaligoIpsa
                      any suggestions to easily take the last 10 gigs of my D and make into an E drive?
                      Can't be done without wiping the drive, unless you're willing to get -really- down and dirty.
                      Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Borrow someone else's 70GB drive, throw everything on there, then partition & reformat, then transfer back! Norton Ghost can handle this.
                        "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

My old Commodore 64:

* 5.25" 170KB single-sided, single-density 1541 floppy drive

That's it for drives....
                          "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

A: Floppy
                            C: 80gb FAT32 (most everything)
                            D: 40gb FAT32 (OS, some few programs)
                            E: 1gb FAT (virtual mem)
                            F: CD-RW
                            G: DVD-ROM
                            H: Clone CD fake DVD-ROM

I just say "OS" because I'm using a sort of hybrid of Windows 98 SE and 95. It essentially has the speed and lack of silly user-friendly features of Windows 95 with the core (and thus program support) of 98 SE. Very fast, very stable. Hasn't crashed on me yet, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkBill
                              Originally posted by CaligoIpsa
                              any suggestions to easily take the last 10 gigs of my D and make into an E drive?
                              Can't be done without wiping the drive, unless you're willing to get -really- down and dirty.
                              Only if CaligoIpsa uses fdisk and format method.

There are other programs that can do it, but you need to defragment the hard drive first. The Mandrake 8 installer can do it, and I'm pretty sure Partition Magic can do it as well.
                              Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

PartitionMagic is far from being down and dirty, and it can do just about anything where partitions are concerned

Comment

Working...
                                X