Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sword Thief!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sword Thief!

    I got sword theif'd today.

    I'm not quite sure what to do about it. I was able to block and he was able to block but then what? Here is my dilema:

    1) If I drop my sword/block to fire a bolt he charges me and whacks me to death.

    2) If I continue to block he can simply back into heavy shadows, disarm and disappear.

    3) If we continue to block each other I'm gonna get BJ'd by a buddy.

    I dunno, I don't really think I have a way of hurting a blocking thief without opening myself up to getting whacked to death with the sword.

    On another note I saw Virus handle this same situation real well. He blocked his way over to the stairs, block up them, and then ran and jumped on the thief's head thereby Mario'ing him. Funny as it gets.

    I don't like the situation at all. I don't think a thief should be able to block a guard but that doesn't seem fair either. What do you think?
    "A gerbil is a rodent, wretched creature and quite possibly represents yourself there unclean vile obsolete weak and live happily in there and others filth, they have caused plague and death to humans and nearly wiped us out" - industrialism

  • #2
    I think bolts are difficult to block. This applies to parabolts too.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mad_Gerbil
      On another note I saw Virus handle this same situation real well. He blocked his way over to the stairs, block up them, and then ran and jumped on the thief's head thereby Mario'ing him. Funny as it gets.
      I was there -- that WAS funny.

      From personal experience, I can tell you that your best bet is either to corner the thief (sword blocking doesn't do anything if the thief is against a wall) or bust out your arrow and shoot him a few times.

      Comment


      • #4
        Sounds like MG needs sparring tips...

        Swords can add a whole new layer to this game.

        There are 3 "modes" in sparring: Offensive, Defensive, and Trap.
        Offensive beats Trap beats Defensive beats Offensive.

        Simple.

        When the thief is blocking, go Trap. That means, back off a bit... then strike... HARD. Circlestrafe him and whack him in the side. Charge him with block, hope he swings, then let him have it while his guard is down. Or shoot him from far away.

        If he charges you, go Defensive. Draw your sword quickly, and block his strikes, and hold your ground. If he even DARES to try and trap you (I know I wouldn't...) then WHACK THAT S.O.B into next week! If he lives, his only chance is to go Defensive, which means either block, or run away.

        Hope that helps MG.
        TCO – Retired
        Former TCO Head of Intelligence – Retired

        Comment


        • #5
          For 250 banked loot you can't say it's unbalanced...
          Swords are also nice to block the spiders (which tend to go elsewhere when you hide while blocking) or finish sniped guards (not that nice , but effective)
          Also , when guards are firespamming the sword is so nice for a double jeopardy :twisted:

          Comment


          • #6
            In 1.3 overhead swings will be unblockable, so that'll help.
            The only constant is change.
            (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CrouchingDork
              In 1.3 overhead swings will be unblockable, so that'll help.
              In that casde, I want the overhead swing Charging sound (the grunt) to be audible for both teams instead of only the friendly one...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mad_Gerbil
                On another note I saw Virus handle this same situation real well. He blocked his way over to the stairs, block up them, and then ran and jumped on the thief's head thereby Mario'ing him. Funny as it gets.
                Haha, jeah that's probably my favorite kill ever
                Yesterday, I was all out of paraitems and firebolts, so I forced him over to the stairs, pushed him down and jumped on his head.

                Improvisation is the key. Use your surroundings to get the swordthief, drive him into a corner and keep whacking him until reinforcements arrive... but whatever you do, don't grab the crossbow, unless you have quite a couple of feet distance, else it's suicide.

                Mace also seems to be more effective against the swordthief, because the few hits that you can get in, count for more damage.

                Try jumping and hitting him... sometimes I forget to calculate in the added hight, and I missblock guards.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think what swords need is proper animations, so you can see if the enemy has his own lowered, raised, sideways, or what, like in Thief. Right now, a swordfight consists of two combatants standing in front of each other with lowered weapons and (presumably) attacking with invisible telekinetic projections while their weapons never move an inch.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Arrowgrab
                    I think what swords need is proper animations, so you can see if the enemy has his own lowered, raised, sideways, or what, like in Thief. Right now, a swordfight consists of two combatants standing in front of each other with lowered weapons and (presumably) attacking with invisible telekinetic projections while their weapons never move an inch.
                    Code is in place to play animations, all that is needed is someone to make them.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Yenzarill
                      Code is in place to play animations, all that is needed is someone to make them.
                      Wouldn't be too tough for the thief I think, but the guard, which was litterally taken from UT, doesn't have a melee attack move...

                      Just having the sword wobble would look incredibly crappy.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Easy solution:

                        Thieves should NOT be able to block. They are not trained for fighting, they are trained in stealing, and their tool is the LockPick.

                        Guards can't use lockpicks, so they often break, but guards are trained for fighting, so they should be able to block. This should give sword weilding thieves something to think about before they go attacking with a sword they aren't good with.

                        So to sum it all up:
                        Guards can't use lockpicks properly,
                        Theives shouldn't be able to use swords properly, namely blocking.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by KewlAzMe
                          Easy solution:

                          Thieves should NOT be able to block. They are not trained for fighting, they are trained in stealing, and their tool is the LockPick.

                          Guards can't use lockpicks, so they often break, but guards are trained for fighting, so they should be able to block. This should give sword weilding thieves something to think about before they go attacking with a sword they aren't good with.

                          So to sum it all up:
                          Guards can't use lockpicks properly,
                          Theives shouldn't be able to use swords properly, namely blocking.
                          NO... just no.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by KewlAzMe
                            Thieves should NOT be able to block. They are not trained for fighting, they are trained in stealing, and their tool is the LockPick.
                            This is your preconceived notion, not everyone else's. Why wouldn't a thief be trained to use a sword?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'd like to see blocking work 70% of the time for thieves, 95% of the time for guards.
                              "A gerbil is a rodent, wretched creature and quite possibly represents yourself there unclean vile obsolete weak and live happily in there and others filth, they have caused plague and death to humans and nearly wiped us out" - industrialism

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X